Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times

Advertisements

Free online. Too many BS stories about "pitty someone, somewhere" and not enough about local events. Also the constant bias in every article, which makes the local paper feel more like an opinion piece than news.

I find the non-traditional feeds like local blogs are more informative and less bias though just a blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 06:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I am finding it interesting to see why some here are still holding onto their newspapers. It looks like the main reason is because those papers are still worth reading. In the cases where they are not, people don't have much reason to continue on with them. Subscribing to a newspaper was always a family tradition and one which I never thought I would let go. But along with the high cost and the dumbing down of the the quality of my local paper I did just that years ago as I mentioned earlier.

They have an online version I can read in part if I chose but even that doesn't attract me. We do have a free paper than comes out once a week that has won an award for being one of the top weekly small newspapers in the country. It's small but it's worth reading and it's free. That, the local TV news and the Internet are far better than the traditional newspaper which has recently cut back on it's print availability due to poor circulation. Apparently it just wasn't satisfying enough readers.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am finding it interesting to see why some here are still holding onto their newspapers. It looks like the main reason is because those papers are still worth reading. In the cases where they are not, people don't have much reason to continue on with them. Subscribing to a newspaper was always a family tradition and one which I never thought I would let go. But along with the high cost and the dumbing down of the the quality of my local paper I did just that years ago as I mentioned earlier.

They have an online version I can read in part if I chose but even that doesn't attract me. We do have a free paper than comes out once a week that has won an award for being one of the top weekly small newspapers in the country. It's small but it's worth reading and it's free. That, the local TV news and the Internet are far better than the traditional newspaper which has recently cut back on it's print availability due to poor circulation. Apparently it just wasn't satisfying enough readers.
I've been a daily newspaper reader since the early 1970s. I still pick up the NYT when I can because I like the feel of an actual paper.

But apart from the increased convenience of the online version, the nail in the coffin for me was the appallingly poor quality of writing and reporting in my local paper. I barely even read the free online version any more and I'm sure as hell not going to pay for pi$$-poor workmanship.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,408,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Free online. Too many BS stories about "pitty someone, somewhere" and not enough about local events. Also the constant bias in every article, which makes the local paper feel more like an opinion piece than news.

I find the non-traditional feeds like local blogs are more informative and less bias though just a blog.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:47 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
My local newspaper suffers from a lack of quality. I hated to cancel, being a former newspaper reporter, but I just couldn't bear the sloppy writing one moment longer.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:01 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
I am the world's biggest fanatic when it comes to having a hard-copy newspaper to read every day. But I have had to boycott my local daily for the last five years or so, because of its leftist bias. It includes lots of pure propaganda.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:14 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
I only subscribe to The New York Times nowadays, cancelled the Denver Post given its GOP mouthpiece function. Always something interesting in the NYT and keeps me informed on politics, current events, the arts, everything.
You ARE aware that the Post has almost exclusively endorsed Dems for office, over the last 20 years??

Old 12-01-2013, 09:54 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You ARE aware that the Post has almost exclusively endorsed Dems for office, over the last 20 years??
Almost every major city newspaper has and they, like broadcast media, seem more interested in making the news fit their bias rather than actually reporting it. I'm insulted that they think their readership has to be led. Just give me the news and I'll do my own analysis, thank you.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
We live in the suburbs of a major city, and the only daily paper available rarely covers any news outside the city itself. We do have a free town paper that gets delivered weekly. Between that, and the internet, I'm pretty well covered for news.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Almost every major city newspaper has and they, like broadcast media, seem more interested in making the news fit their bias rather than actually reporting it. I'm insulted that they think their readership has to be led. Just give me the news and I'll do my own analysis, thank you.
I'll second each and every point. Well said, sir!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events