Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You ARE aware that the Post has almost exclusively endorsed Dems for office, over the last 20 years??
I don't take the paper from Denver myself, but could this have had anything to do with the fact that over the past 20 years, Republicans -- led ever further to the right by fundies, neocons, and corporatists -- have been running more and more extremists and ideologues for office and fewer and fewer actual politicians?

Last edited by fairlaker; 12-02-2013 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,979 times
I never subscribed, but when I moved to Louisville I used to buy a newspaper almost every day, including Sundays. In the last five years the size and content have gotten lighter and lighter while the cost has gotten higher and higher. I justified buying the Sunday paper for the coupons, but there are barely any that I can use, and now that it costs THREE DOLLARS it's simply not worth it. After growing up with the Chicago Tribune I guess I'm spoiled when it comes to newspapers (although that one is not as good as it used to be either).

Old 12-02-2013, 06:17 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyjames14 View Post
When it comes out in the paper...its history, not news.
As most people who deal in information-based products understand, there is a tension between timeliness and accuracy. If all you want is fast, you can have it. But it comes at what can be quite a cost.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:34 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,368,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaker View Post
As most people who deal in information-based products understand, there is a tension between timeliness and accuracy. If all you want is fast, you can have it. But it comes at what can be quite a cost.
Well put. However, anymore even waiting often results in less than accurate reporting as well.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
Because I can read news online.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:44 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,352,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
You ARE aware that the Post has almost exclusively endorsed Dems for office, over the last 20 years??
The Dems in Colorado are effectively Reaganite Republicans, or another way of putting it is, 'neo-liberals'. They are anti-union (as is the post editorial board), etc.

http://coloradopols.com/diary/37658/...l-hates-unions

I got tired of reading their continual screeds against organized labour.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:02 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,996,081 times
My local paper is owned by an out of state company and they recently switched the format to include that newspaper which is distributed in hotels.....pretty light palp news. The local news is similar. I was told this area is an experiment and if they determine it is successful....they will follow suit with all their newspapers.

I absolutely hate the new format and have discontinued my subscription.....so far just reading various on line newspapers and relying on MSNBC and CNN for more comprehensive coverage.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
I stopped subscribing when they stopped objectively reporting the news and became, essentially, an editorial only provider. Way too many "journalists" see themselves as community activists.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 AM

6,696 posts, read 5,926,302 times
I used to subscribe to the online WSJ until the price hit $270/year. That's ridiculous. They're good, but not that good. I'll go to the public library or stick to the free articles. I do miss the talkbacks, though; some excellent reader commentary in there.

Boston Globe charges an arm and a leg for an online subscription; I tried it for a while, very few people in the talkbacks, clearly they haven't figured out how to make this model work.

News organizations should rely more on ads and they should charge a reasonable fee, like $50/year or $75/year (for a prestigious outfit like NYTimes or WSJ) that will draw in more subscribers. If they don't, I fear the days of real reporting are limited.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
What I miss most about today's newspapers in USA is the lack of journalism. When I read newspaper articles in the UK (online) and countries, the lack of journalism is glaringly apparent. Well written articles that provide answers to intelligent questions. When you read the local newspaper, you're suppose to get more information than what the local TV news station can provide. Such articles give more than who, what, when, & where and yet some articles don't even give that much information. They also write with their personal beliefs. When a politician or political party they fully support does something wrong, instead of reporting the facts about the situation, they either make excuses or choose to ignore the story hoping it goes away. But when a politician or political party they don't like does even the smallest transgression, it becomes a mountain of a story. Same goes with their social agenda. Some social agenda stories are find and good like a company polluting, government corruption (elected politicians, judges, civil service employees), and other such stories are good journalism. As for spelling and grammar, I can forgive certain types of mistakes; typos, difficult family names, and names of things/people that have multiple spellings. But too often I see the simplest and most common words misspelled. Sometimes I saw punctuation marks used incorrectly or not used at all with sentences going on and on with no comma or period. At one time local newspapers reported on the city and state government, especially the actions of the state Legislature and how the local state senators and representatives voted on laws and bills and how those laws and bills impact the local community. For a long time, local people had to rely on their local paper to tell them what was in the state amendments they were voting on in the next election. With the internet, voters can go online and read the entire law or amendment for themselves. I did this a few times when we still had our subscription. The comparison between what was actually in the bill and what the newspaper said was in the bill was astoundingly different. If they wanted it to pass, they left out the stipulations that would make the bill a bad idea. The title and brief description of the law/bill made it seem perfectly fine. One time a popular governor sold the state on legalizing gambling with the money going to education. It passed and the money went to the state's general fund instead of to the budget of the state's schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events