Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Not everybody can become a surgeon, but truck driving school is like 3 months. Not everybody can become a truck driver? Okay, become something else then. The point is we aren't talking about skilled labor.
Exactly. Anyone, (unless they are seriously mentally handicapped) can acquire a skill that can earn them greater than minimum wage. That poster sounds as if they think that EVERYONE should be able to make just as much money as everyone else...without lifting a finger.

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Uh huh, okay. Get caught stirring up trouble by talking about it and see what happens. It may not be a "specifically" written rule, I've heard it said at several jobs. Termination isn't hard when you're an "at will" employee.
"At will" employment states are still barred from terminating employees for unlawful reasons. Termination for discussing pay is an unlawful reason and the company would be opening itself up for a serious lawsuit.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:40 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"At will" employment states are still barred from terminating employees for unlawful reasons. Termination for discussing pay is an unlawful reason and the company would be opening itself up for a serious lawsuit.
you sign a contract of house rules

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM

wow...
I was referring to: one's kind and lenient attitude to another,,, love of mankind: Nobody said people did NOT give money in great times of need- of for the ill, cancer, etc there must be a walk every week or a bike run... The government steps in all over the world when s**t hits the fan- but---we are talking about salary??? (you missed the point).., and I'd be afraid to walk next to anyone after that comment - and you missed the post that another county has raised its min. wage--- which is what the post was about,,,,,,,

Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
you sign a contract of house rules
It is illegal for a company to demand that their employees do not discuss pay among themselves. Period. I don't care what their "contract" says. It is not a valid contract.

can an employer require you to keep your salary confidential?

From this article:
Quote:
The National Labor Relations Act says that employers cannot prevent employees from discussing wages and working conditions among themselves. The idea is that employees need to be free to organize, and preventing them from discussing these topics would prevent them from organizing.

(There are some exceptions to this though. An employer can prohibit these discussions from taking place during times when people are supposed to working. And while employees can freely share information about their pay with other employees, they wouldn’t be protected by the law if they obtained information about other employees’ pay through files known to be off-limits to them or if they get others to break access restrictions and give them confidential information. In other words, Tom can tell you how much he makes, but getting the bookkeeper to tell you how much Tom is making wouldn’t be protected by the law.)

However, the law only applies to discussions within the organization. An employer can prohibit employees from discussing salary outside the organization. So yes, anonymous posts on GlassDoor would be a violation of the policy, if they were able to trace the post back to you.

There’s an upside to this policy though: The next time you’re interviewing and an employer asks about your salary history, you can truthfully reply that your company prohibits you from sharing salary information externally.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,194 times
Quote:
wow...
I was referring to: one's kind and lenient attitude to another,,, love of mankind: Nobody said people did NOT give money in great times of need- of for the ill, cancer, etc there must be a walk every week or a bike run... The government steps in all over the world when s**t hits the fan- but---we are talking about salary??? (you missed the point).., and I'd be afraid to walk next to anyone after that comment -
You said that people no longer have charity. This thread is about the minimum wage, but your post had nothing to do with wages. Your posts aren't very coherent. Are you trying to say that wages should be based on charity and not the market?

Quote:
clap clap,, we are NOT judge n jury of anyone... the poor have ALWAYS been and always will be, It is what it is but- people no longer have charity,, AND I am NOT a co dependent to poor-Dom either! I have talked, taken people to get Dr Lic, made countless resumes for free, and do something the schools or others are NOT doing, showing people HOW to get it done- When they have no money for higher learning and college counselors etc. they have no clue. I only know of The scouts - Girls n Boys Clubs etc trying to do this,,, I showed my kids- their friends and folk I still don't know who they are,,, because they will call me and say "my friend wants to know how to look for a job" and so forth and now with grands,,,
We want everybody to fly on their own, I agree... but bring back the fishing poles!!! cant teach jack- if you don't have the poles. can you?
Quote:
and you missed the post that another county has raised its min. wage--- which is what the post was about,,,,,,,
The reference to a county raising the minimum wage was no where on that page.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 PM

I agree with you and the reference,, but it does get touchy-- we are up for BONUS,,, think I'll tell anyone what I get- not even family. The guy who told me he got more money years ago and I took him to the UNION... either left or was told to go.. but this was when I was 24... so laws probably changed since then. In some jobs the salary is structured,,, nobody gets more or less- pay grade n time..

Old 12-18-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I agree with you and the reference,, but it does get touchy-- we are up for BONUS,,, think I'll tell anyone what I get- not even family. The guy who told me he got more money years ago and I took him to the UNION... either left or was told to go.. but this was when I was 24... so laws probably changed since then. In some jobs the salary is structured,,, nobody gets more or less- pay grade n time..
Well, people should use some decorum. It's usually not really considered appropriate to discuss personal finances with co workers or casual acquaintances - but it's certainly not against the law to do so, and for good reason.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You said that people no longer have charity. This thread is about the minimum wage, but your post had nothing to do with wages.(2)- Your posts aren't very coherent. Are you trying to say that wages should be based on charity and not the market?

(1)!The reference to a county raising the minimum wage was no where on that page.
to answer:

1-Yesterday, 01:52 PM "PG 31"...
2- please just don't read them.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:21 PM

What? I am so confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events