Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I am speaking in generalities - I'm sure there are exceptions.

I can assure you that in most businesses, when the people with the lowest skill level suddenly get a raise of 1/3 more, "just because" - those who have actually worked to further their education and experience are NOT going to be happy about not having their efforts rewarded in the same manner.
What makes you think all are low skill level??? kids work with me PT are going to college- we have firemen, leos, teachers, medical people, who need extra MONEY! One kids is in 3 rd yr of cancer research classes,,, maybe in TX life is cheap- but in the city it is NOT-- watch the nose level people.. for nose bleeds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
I really feel for you. That sounds very challenging. I'm sorry. : /

Thank you-This was some years back- my grandson is flying with the angels now- but I learned ALOT those years about courage, empathy and true love. I also saw how cold people can be, uninterested in one another- but I have hopethat the few good people can help shape the rest.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
What small business are you referring to? Please give real life examples of your own life or cite articles on the topic. Thank you jimj. In my experience, working at chains and large corporations (Petco, law firm) is where I've made minimum wage. I've ALWAYS made MORE in small business ($10/hr for retail and $14/hr for receptionist). Nobody in my father's small business makes minimum wage. How about you jimj?

When was that? unless you in NY etc. that is unheard of now.. let just say I used to make $10.75 at the same retail store,,, in 2002- I returned last year to same named store, same job, best they could offer was $7.75- now making $8 wooopeee
and I would be plain nuts to mention the name of the company on any public media period... I'm not that crazy. NOW law firms? I seem to remember that the paralegals make bout $10.00 - I was shocked when I heard that... they work hard.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:09 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
No easy answers here...on the one hand, not everyone is smart enough to go to college and get a high paying job. For some people working in fast food is living up to the best of their ability and if they are willing to work hard and put in 40 hours a week, then I do think they should get paid enough to be able to afford a place to live, buy food, and other basic necessities. That's why people go on welfare and sit at home. Why bother to work when you can make more doing nothing staying at home? If we want people to take care of themselves and not rely on government help, then they should be able to work 40 hours and actually be able to take care of themselves.

However, I think 15 dollars an hour is too much. I only made 12 dollars an hour at my first job out of college! I also think part of the problem is that people nowadays count iPhones and expensive cell phone plans, cable, big screen flat TV's, etc. as part of basic necessities when they are not.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 PM

453 posts, read 631,970 times
Cellphones have largely replaced landlines, and a phone is a necessity. Over-the-air TV is digital now, so you can't pick up the signal on a non-digital TV... Most digital TVs are flat screen. Want to watch on an old analog TV? Then you have to get cable, because that still down-converts to analog (for probably a few more years). If a person can have neither a digital TV nor cable/satellite, then they don't get to watch TV. If the whole reason they're working a low-end job is because they're not to bright, they probably aren't going to sirens their free time reading, so just what should they be permitted to do for entertainment?

And internet access is pretty much a need for a functional life (given that email has replaced most paper correspondence and many people pay bills online because it's cheaper than purchasing money orders or checks). Internet these days is, more often than not, a service of the cable company.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
No easy answers here...on the one hand, not everyone is smart enough to go to college and get a high paying job. For some people working in fast food is living up to the best of their ability and if they are willing to work hard and put in 40 hours a week, then I do think they should get paid enough to be able to afford a place to live, buy food, and other basic necessities. That's why people go on welfare and sit at home. Why bother to work when you can make more doing nothing staying at home? If we want people to take care of themselves and not rely on government help, then they should be able to work 40 hours and actually be able to take care of themselves.

However, I think 15 dollars an hour is too much. I only made 12 dollars an hour at my first job out of college! I also think part of the problem is that people nowadays count iPhones and expensive cell phone plans, cable, big screen flat TV's, etc. as part of basic necessities when they are not.
work 40 hours <<- that is history-- 29 at best - this is part of the problem.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post

what year was that?

Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
what year was that?
I know I'm not the one the question was directed to, but:

I made $10.50 (ish)/hour my first job after college in 2001. Working in a research lab, with a bachelor's degree. Starting salary for that same job today is around $13/hr.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:06 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,943,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
A "living wage" is an excuse for the choices people make that limit their ability to earn a better income.
Bingo. The "living wage" movement is an attempt by people who squandered the free education they were offered to milk more money out of society because they are having to live with the consequences of their choices and they don't like it.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
What makes you think all are low skill level??? kids work with me PT are going to college- we have firemen, leos, teachers, medical people, who need extra MONEY! One kids is in 3 rd yr of cancer research classes,,, maybe in TX life is cheap- but in the city it is NOT-- watch the nose level people.. for nose bleeds
Oh give me a break. We're not talking about the ABILITIES of the people making minimum wage, or their value as a PERSON. We're talking about the skill level/education required to do the job they're doing for minimum wage (and only 4.7 percent of the workforce is working for minimum wage).

But hey, if we're giving away money to people who need it, why even make anyone work for it? Why not just give money (from somewhere...not sure where...a money tree I guess) to those who need it the most and to heck with skill sets, job descriptions, education, experience...those aren't what matters in the workplace after all, right?

Maybe the woman working in the cafeteria at the hospital needs the money more than the RN in charge of the nurses in the NICU. Maybe we should just pay her more, well, because she has three kids at home. That RN is single - we can take it from her salary - she won't mind because she doesn't need the money as much as the woman working in the cafeteria.

This reminds me of a situation that my husband ran into a few weeks ago on his job. He noticed that he was getting a worse schedule than one of his co workers (they get paid by the day). My husband has more experience and a much better work record (reliability, fewer mistakes, etc) than this other guy. He asked about the disparity, and he was told, "Well, Joe has two house payments now because he bought another house before his first one sold, and now he can't get the first one sold for anything - so he needs more money." WHAT? So Joe gets the better schedule because he's been more irresponsible? Because he was stupid enough to buy a house before his first one sold? So the responsible person gets the shaft?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events