Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times

Advertisements

The movie theater I go to has a special where tickets are 60% before Noon on week days. Hardly anyone's ever there and even better if the movie has been out for longer than a week.

Though it's definitely true I don't go to the movies as often as I used to. Price mainly being the reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
600 People Involved in Movie Theater Brawl, 5 Arrested

Stories like this seem more common these days.
I saw three movies in theaters this week. Since I live in a white area this does not happen.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:41 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,039,806 times
Some people are not going as frequently near me due to:
high ticket cost
AMC is now owned by a chinese company

Old 12-29-2013, 08:05 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
I haven't been in years, and the reasons are plenty:

(1) I can glance at my phone briefly if I feel like it, without people throwing such a ridiculous fit about it. Seriously, I think the reactions of people regarding this are borderline psychotic. (I've never done it to people, I haven't been to a movie in forever, but based on the complaints I hear, I can see it becoming a "thing." Lighting up the place with a huge glow for minutes at the time, I can see the point somewhat, but a quick glance that's over in a few seconds--if it bothers you that much, you need a shrink.)

(2) At the same time, I cannot STAND people talking during the movie, & have even been known to snap at my own wife for doing it at home, once even turning the TV off altogether and walking out of the room over it. 99½ of the time, I'm trying to pay attention to the movie itself, and anything else is a distraction that is unwanted. (Like the previous issue, it's a matter of degree--if someone just quickly makes a very brief comment in a hushed tone or says to their significant other "what time it is" and that's it, fine, but when it's a running commentary all movie long, I want to body slam them in a field full of rusted nails.)

(3) Control of the remote--you can skip the previews, pause for a pee break, back-track if you missed something someone said, turn subtitles off/on etc

(4) No ridiculous prices for food, and the food can be practically anything I want

(5) I can fart or belch if I need to, or scratch any itch

Basically it comes down to (a) control of your environment (b) no putting up with other people's annoying behavior and (c) no one complaining about YOUR behavior that you see nothing wrong with and (d) prices of food.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-29-2013 at 08:18 AM..

Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not in years, and even the last one was in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday.

WSVN-TV - Mall curfew goes into effect
The mall in our area has that kind of curfew, but it starts at 6 pm. Again, because of the ill-behaved young people who were driving business away. The youngsters squawked, many parents complained, but the business owners stood behind the decision. Sales at the stores have risen because of the curfew, as have evening attendance at restaurants.

Back to the original subject. With a 50" digital tv and a good DVD player, why bother? We stay at home, having fresh popcorn, being able to pause for pee breaks; just having a better time, even if we do have to wait for the movie to come out on DVD. The only movies we see at the theater are those like "Gravity." Even at that attendance, we waited two weeks after the debut and took it in at an early afternoon matinee. Theaters are not an enjoyable experience, IMO, considering the alternatives available.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:04 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantamount View Post
Yes, due to finding the floors can be sticky, sometimes it smells really bad (like puke), stuff stuck on seats that doesn't appear to be very old and idiots using cell phones at all times. And that previous shooting at the theater in Colorado didn't help either.

I'm doing great with RedBox.

Yep, can't forget that previous shooting. They happen about every 6 weeks, right?

Your chances of being shot in a movie theater is far less than being killed in an auto accident.
One happens every day around the world on a frequent basis whereas the other doesn't. Do the math.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I can't I say NEVER go to the movies. I rarely go, though.

Last one was to see Lincoln last January. I'd wanted to see that one in a real theater but never had time, and then one Friday night I checked to see if it was still being shown in the nearby theater, and lo and behold it was being shown the next morning at 11.

There were six or seven other people in the theater. Wasn't scary at all!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM

175 posts, read 257,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradleyc View Post
I like going to the movies as much as ever, except the movies aren't as good to watch or maybe I just don't like them as well after all.

Of course, a lot of the movies I used to go see aren't so good now either, but still, what they put out now is mostly unwatchable.

Maybe there just aren't enough interesting stories anymore, or something.

I only have had one significant bad experience in a cinema, about 8 years ago at Mayfair in Milwaukee. A few "gentlemen" felt that it was acceptable to "chat" during the film. I asked them a couple of times to please be quiet, but they considered me to be "rude". I was threatened with hostility, which just raised my hackles. But I was not further troubled and the movie finished without further incident, although I was given a nasty eye by one fellow as we all were leaving the room. Boorish, I thought.

Tut tut. I don't go there anymore.
The theater at Mayfair will be closing and we're finally getting a Nordstrom in Milwaukee

Mayfair has been the site of several incidents apart from the movie theater and it is believed that the people who go to the theater are behind them all

Old 12-29-2013, 10:00 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I quit going to movie theaters in 1956, when I got my driver's license and started going to the Drive-In.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We don't get brawls in movie theaters around here.
Same here. However, the last 4 or 5 times we have gone to the movies after 11:00 p.m. but there are always parents with screaming toddlers (to World War Z and other horror movies? really, people?!) and teenagers texting and talking non-stop. In addition, some theaters have changed their seats and the new ones are pretty uncomfortable. Not worth the trip and the money. I rather buying/renting on Amazon/Redbox/etc. and enjoying the movie in the safety and comfort of my own home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events