Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times

Advertisements

this wouldn't have happened under mitt Romney's watch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 02:52 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,149,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this wouldn't have happened under mitt Romney's watch
Mittens is in Russia???

That commie.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

I'm not sure what the person in the bottom right is doing.
I was wondering the same thing. I don't even want to think about it.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
While there's no way of knowing for sure, it seems unlikely that Austria or South Korea would have bungled anything so spectacularly.
I was in Seoul for the 1988 Olympics, and they did a fantastic job. Obviously, there were huge crowds of people everywhere (which will always be how it is with the olympics), but we were able to get to every event we had tickets to on time, and where we stayed was nice enough - they even had little jungle gyms all around (although some of the things there were unrealistic for kids to play on).

I have so many great memories from being there. From watching a number of Olympic events very up close (mostly gymnastics and equestrian), to shopping amid ALL the stalls - I think every member of my family bought multiple eel-skin lipstick cases, purses, and wallets, as well as super cheap shoes, but mostly, I remember my "Korean Dad." He was this guy who worked where we were stayed (I'm pretty sure we stayed in the Olympic village, which was allowed of families of the athletes). I was playing at one of the jungle gyms by myself while my mom took a nap in our room, and this guy came out, picked me up, and carried me back to his office, calling himself my Korean Dad (it was a different time - I didn't even think it was that weird). He wanted to show me his cool computer and his cool computer games. I played the game on his computer for close to an hour, then went back outside where my mom had been looking for me (for about 30 seconds). She thought it was funny. Years later, I read an article about how for the Seoul Olympics, a lot of workers were brought in from very rural areas, and they were trained on computers, something they had never used before. So no wonder he thought his computer and game were super awesome!

Anyhoo, I totally think South Korea could pull out a fantastic Olympics, because they already have before!

Old 02-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what the person in the bottom right is doing.
Sebastian has a lot to say:

Olympians banned from fishing in Sochi*toilets - NY Daily News

Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM

Is Sochi ready? Tweeters reveal bizarre truth | HLNtv.com

More fun.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
They have banned Chobani yogurt that was due to arrive for the USA athletes. It sits in a port in NJ awaiting its fate.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,868 times
Quote:
First-world military power and mafia prevalence.
Third-world in everything else.
Russia is a bigger, colder Angola with nukes and a space program.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:15 PM

986 posts, read 1,865,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
They have banned Chobani yogurt that was due to arrive for the USA athletes. It sits in a port in NJ awaiting its fate.
I read about this! Chobani is a big sponsor so I can understand their frustration, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just yogurt and to make a big deal out of it is wasting energy. Would be more impressive if they donated this large bulk order to homeless shelters.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
They did the same thing in Seoul with the dogs. Totally sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
WHY?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events