Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

if Israel doesn't want iran to get nukes, let Israel deal with iran. but make sure they give me a call first so I can sell my mutual funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:16 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I guess I'll be the cold-hearted ba$tard here.

I don't want the US sending any citizen into harm's way to intercede with the internal problems of another country. If another country attacks us or one of our allies, that is one thing, but I don't want us to be the police force for the world.

If it's true that freaky little troll is having mothers drown their babies and such, it is up to the men of North Korea to stand up to this dictator and control their own fates. Yes, it would be extremely tough to do since the government there (as does any government who wants to make sure they control the populous) keeps them unarmed, but it's still on them to make the stand and fight for their human rights.
So you were OK with Hitler.

Old 02-18-2014, 04:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Sounds pretty much like a 'holocaust' of the 21st century. How come we don't hear an uproar against what's happening there?
There is an uproar. The problem is that there is nothing we can do about it. Bombing the hell out of them would just kill the same citizens they are killing, and they could retaliate with nukes. Land invasion is impossible because their only land border is China. They'd see an invasion from South Korea coming right at them. And an amphibious assault would cost a hundred thousand of casualties. No way in hell.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
As long as China backs NK, there is nothing anyone can do about it.

The only way China is not going to back NK is if China feels Japan, SK, and the US are not a threat. NK is China's card in the Pacific political game. Without crazy NK, China is basically isolated on their east.

Russia does not back NK at all like China does, however, it is still a hedge on Russia's east. Russia distrusts China more than about any other place as it is.

If the US was smart, they would fork over the political games of Ukraine and Eurasia to Russia, in exchange for Russian backing of the US's stance on NK. This would put pressure on China to do something about NK.

But it all goes back to China, and the US is more concerned than anyone about losing a money lender, and the US corporate elite sure as heck do not want any damage to US-China relations that will damage their profit. So yet again, it all comes down to US economic (read corporate) interests, and a few million abused people in NK is not a concern to those in pursuit of profit.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:52 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I guess I'll be the cold-hearted ba$tard here.
I don't want the US sending any citizen into harm's way to intercede with the internal problems of another country. If another country attacks us or one of our allies, that is one thing, but I don't want us to be the police force for the world.
If it's true that freaky little troll is having mothers drown their babies and such, it is up to the men of North Korea to stand up to this dictator and control their own fates. Yes, it would be extremely tough to do since the government there (as does any government who wants to make sure they control the populous) keeps them unarmed, but it's still on them to make the stand and fight for their human rights.

I have to agree with you very much.

However, South Korea has a modern army, well supplied by the U.S. They have twice the population and i believe could waltz right over the NKs. That and I suspect the North Koreans will roll over. The only unknown is how China will react to the unification of North and South. I suspect they enjoy the buffer zone.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The result is predictable. The Japanese will develop nuke weapons. Their nationalistic and imperialistic tendencies have not gone away, just subdued.
Japan might eventually build nuclear weapons but I think you're living in a dream world if you think they have lingering imperialistic tendencies.

Are you talking about the tech-savvy, weird-stuff obsessed, busting loose from their past centuries of extremely conservative culture and now opening business that serve soup from miniature toilet replicas Japan?

This Japan?:

http://www.dark-circuit.com/random/d...#Weird%20Japan

They're about as likely to be imperialistic as the state of Kansas is likely annex Missouri.

Last edited by Clintone; 02-18-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 07:17 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
You are saying we should go in and turn North Korea into modern day Iraq rubble because their leader mistreats them?
North Korea is quite different from Iraq.

The country is already largely a non-functional wasteland. There's not much reason to think the country would devolve into sectarian violence. And they're not exactly a stabilizing force in the region.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if the UN has a problem with whats going on there, then let the UN go in and do something.
The UN? The same UN who stated they were being shot at near the Israel Syria border so they left Syria.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Japan might eventually build nuclear weapons but I think you're living in a dream world if you think they have lingering imperialistic tendencies.

Are you talking about the tech-savvy, weird-stuff obsessed, busting loose from their past centuries of extremely conservative culture and now opening business that serve soup from miniature toilet replicas Japan?

This Japan?:

http://www.dark-circuit.com/random/d...#Weird%20Japan

They're about as likely to be imperialistic as the state of Kansas is likely annex Missouri.
You really believe that info you posted represents Japan? That is like saying Miley Cyrus represents the USA.

Leave it to some to gobble up advertisements and claim it as knowledge.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Sounds pretty much like a 'holocaust' of the 21st century. How come we don't hear an uproar against what's happening there?
There aren't any Jews in N. Korea and N. Korea hasn't invaded Poland. Unlike the Islamic nations, you really don't see N. Korea trying to expand throughout the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events