Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
What does North Korea have that South Korea wants? Nothing. South Korea is perfectly happy with the way things are. They are prosperous and happy. The last thing they want is millions of starving, illiterate, brainwashed savages streaming across their northern border.
People keep saying "take back what is theirs". North Korea is not theirs. They are 2 separate countries that are still technically at war.

I do think China would also opposed any intervention, not because they ally or agree with N Korea, but because of the same reason - they don't want N Koreans streaming over their border either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 01:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There aren't any Jews in N. Korea
that's the problem. who is going to lend the money to people to build successful businesses? north korea needs some jews so they can have some bankers, landlords, doctors, lawyers, corned beef sandwiches, etc.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,194,562 times
Anyone that supports a U.S. sponsored invasion ought to volunteer to go and fight it, too. I might make an exception for military vets who have paid their dues and have combat experience. People should put their money where their mouth is. The gung ho "chicken hawk" types would be a lot more silent if they themselves had to go.

I agree terrible things are happening there, but we are just now getting out of Afghanistan and got out of Iraq not long ago after being mired in both places for about a decade.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
One difference was that Hitler was attacking our allies.

If Hitler was not invading other countries but still exterminating his own people, I'd want sanctions against Germany but not a war with them.

Like I said, many people will view me as a cold hearted ba$tard, but I'm being honest. I don't want the US to participate in any military interaction unless we or our allies are attacked or if there is an imminent threat to us.

Let me ask you this. Stalin slaughtered tens of millions of his own people. Do you believe we should have gone to war with the Soviet Union? Keep in mind that it most assuredly would have escalated to nuclear war.
Great post, Pedro. I agree! The heartless bas**rds are the chicken hawks that think nothing of sending U.S. troops to take the risk and be killed or come back home with missing limbs, PSTD, etc, while being cheerleaders and shouting down those who prefer peace and using the money here at home where it belongs. You are sensible, not cold hearted.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What we need to do is send John Kerry over there. He will talk about global warming to them and smoothe everything over.
Meanwhile our dear leader will be saying. Nothing to see here folks move along.
Or take George Bush out of retirement and he will say along with a big banner "Mission Accomplished, so please stop harming your citizens further" and then will wave the American flag triumphantly while nothing changes. LOL. At least Kerry served in combat. Neither Democrats or Republicans have any moral high ground on this issue.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
People keep saying "take back what is theirs". North Korea is not theirs. They are 2 separate countries that are still technically at war.

I do think China would also opposed any intervention, not because they ally or agree with N Korea, but because of the same reason - they don't want N Koreans streaming over their border either.
And China doesn't want a war happening right on its border- they prefer to have that buffer between them and "The West", as in, the U.S. and its axis of control.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Neither Democrats or Republicans have any moral high ground on this issue.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Our government plays much too fast and lose with our servicemen, our money and the lives of foreigners as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:29 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
You are saying we should go in and turn North Korea into modern day Iraq rubble because their leader mistreats them?
I'm not saying that but let's face it the place is pretty much destroyed already.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:31 PM

72 posts, read 126,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Sounds pretty much like a 'holocaust' of the 21st century. How come we don't hear an uproar against what's happening there?
Well, North Korea has a long history of Holocausts.
There was massive slaughter under Japanese rule up to 1945.
Then after 1945 the US bombed every possible air target in the north.
When they ran out of targets, they bombed irrigation dams in the north, which is a major war crime, killing thousands of peasants and destroying farm lands.

There's bound to be some longstanding resentment related to these events.

Meanwhile nothing has been done about the holocaust that has occurred from 1948 to the present against the Palestinian people, or the holocaust that occurred against the Vietnamese people or the holocaust that occurred against the Iraqi people.

So there's clearly a lot of precedence to whatever is happening in North Korea, so that it doesn't stand out in the continuing history of holocausts.

And now the north is used as a pawn of the Chinese and the south is used as a pawn of the US.

They are dueling alternates (surrogates) in a pi**ing war for global resource dominance.

No commander in the US Corporate Military Force, who is in their right mind, would ever entertain the thought of invading the north, knowing that China will never sit still if that happens.

Besides, the north has nothing that the corporations want, so it's a no go.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:00 PM

3,866 posts, read 3,142,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Sounds pretty much like a 'holocaust' of the 21st century. How come we don't hear an uproar against what's happening there?
Maybe if our prison system in the USA was a model for human rights and justice then maybe we would be outraged. We as citizens are so conditioned to human rights abuses that we joke about sexual assault on prisoners by another inmates. We even have a prison in Guantanamo Cuba for the exact purpose of inmates of having virtually no legal recourse against human rights abuses. The USA despite having 5% of the world's population has 25% of the world's prisoners. We have the highest incarceration rate of the world by far. Its kinda difficult to get outraged about another country's injustice concerning its prison population while we have our own problems in the USA concerning human rights and injustice with our justice system and industrial prison complex.

Last edited by Coseau; 02-19-2014 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events