Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 12:58 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,326,180 times

Advertisements

I dont know about the trial but it used to be that ignorance was no excuse for breaking the law.

So she didn't know she was taking the wrong pill and was ignorant that she was drugged while driving on the road, well she still broke the law unknowingly or not. She was tried and the jury let her off for their own reasoning.

Guess that is our legal system and hope the same measure of understanding is applied in other non fatal non wreck instances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
There are always certain high society people and politicians that the laws don't seem to apply to...

Old 03-04-2014, 04:58 AM

50,396 posts, read 64,106,567 times
I heard Kennedy say on the Today show yesterday, that in New York, all cases like this are prosecuted, as opposed to the DA picking and choosing the ones that have merit.

She was offered a plea, but if she had taken it, she would not have been able to go out of the country for 10 years. If you are convicted in a foreign country, you can't re enter the US for 10 years either.

The most important reason why she wanted a jury trial was to bring to light this policy in NY, which is bogging down the court system there.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 AM

24,130 posts, read 32,540,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
It isn't like she was found with a needle hanging out of her arm, she had a "trace" of a sleeping pill in her system. Hell, if I was checked a lot of mornings heading to work I would have traces of Nyquil in my system from the night before too.

I think the lady had a lot of class, attributing her success in court to great Lawyers and her saying not everyone would have that opportunity. It also isn't like she killed anyone.

Don

I thought the same. She might have been found guilty had she had an inexperienced public defender. She as much as said that, in attributing her victory to her fine legal team.

I think her "fame" in a double edged sword when it comes to favor with a jury. Also, she has no history of bad behavior. As with many women of her age, (and mine) she is on several medications and she confuses the two.

Why is everyone so punitive and out for vengeance?

Kennedy also said that the experience has served to underscore the entrenched inequality in our justice system, and she has vowed to work to change that.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,853,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Kennedy also said that the experience has served to underscore the entrenched inequality in our justice system, and she has vowed to work to change that.

I suppose I could say that at least she'll be working at something.

Was that supposed to be funny? That Kennedys are claiming that they were treated unfairly at the hands of our justice system?

No one's saying that this particular instance was a felony, but she's the one who fought it. Her cousin pleaded guilty about ten years ago to much the same thing.

Then there's her brother who got away with manhandling two nurses a couple of years ago, something which was caught on videotape. Oh, and let's not forget Joe Jr. (not papa Joe, the rumrunner and stock market manipulator, but another one of Ethel and RFK's brood) who nearly broke the back of his own brother (now dead due to drugs), a passenger in a jeep he was recklessly driving as a teen, and crashed. That same accident left another passenger in the jeep, a teen-aged girl, a paraplegic. As per usual, the Kennedy's paid off the family...er....paid for her ongoing rehabilitation.

Dare I mention Chappaquiddick? In which Ted got a friggin license suspension for letting a young woman drown in the car he'd been driving? She lay gasping for breath while he and his attorney cousin (him, he quickly notified) sat 15 feet away, with Ted Kennedy crying "What am I gonna do?" with his head in his hands. All while the poor kid was trying to find an air pocket to gasp for breath, proven when she was found the next day, in rigor mortis, in a seated postion with her hands grasping the seat of the car, and her head facing upwards to breathe.

The Kennedy curse might better be described as the curse they've put on other people's lives. No one family's gotten away with more crud than they have, and it appears to be affecting every generation. The current ones are nothing more than a bunch of trust-fund babies who wouldn't know how to act with a real job.

American royalty? Bullbleep.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I suppose I could say that at least she'll be working at something.

Was that supposed to be funny? That Kennedys are claiming that they were treated unfairly at the hands of our justice system?

No one's saying that this particular instance was a felony, but she's the one who fought it. Her cousin pleaded guilty about ten years ago to much the same thing.

Then there's her brother who got away with manhandling two nurses a couple of years ago, something which was caught on videotape. Oh, and let's not forget Joe Jr. (not papa Joe, the rumrunner and stock market manipulator, but another one of Ethel and RFK's brood) who nearly broke the back of his own brother (now dead due to drugs), a passenger in a jeep he was recklessly driving as a teen, and crashed. That same accident left another passenger in the jeep, a teen-aged girl, a paraplegic. As per usual, the Kennedy's paid off the family...er....paid for her ongoing rehabilitation.

Dare I mention Chappaquiddick? In which Ted got a friggin license suspension for letting a young woman drown in the car he'd been driving? She lay gasping for breath while he and his attorney cousin (him, he quickly notified) sat 15 feet away, with Ted Kennedy crying "What am I gonna do?" with his head in his hands. All while the poor kid was trying to find an air pocket to gasp for breath, proven when she was found the next day, in rigor mortis, in a seated postion with her hands grasping the seat of the car, and her head facing upwards to breathe.

The Kennedy curse might better be described as the curse they've put on other people's lives.
No one family's gotten away with more crud than they have, and it appears to be affecting every generation. The current ones are nothing more than a bunch of trust-fund babies who wouldn't know how to act with a real job.

American royalty? Bullbleep.

I disagree with this. First of all, what other members of the Kennedy family did in the past has absolutely nothing to do with this case, and she should not be punished for what her brother or anyone else did. Second, why shouldn't she fight it? If it were me, I would hire a lawyer too, who wouldn't, who cold afford it?

3rd, I think the Kennedy's for the most part have devoted their lives to public service, and IMO the crimes of a few many years ago do not detract from the good they have done our country.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,853,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with this. First of all, what other members of the Kennedy family did in the past has absolutely nothing to do with this case, and she should not be punished for what her brother or anyone else did. Second, why shouldn't she fight it? If it were me, I would hire a lawyer too, who wouldn't, who cold afford it?

3rd, I think the Kennedy's for the most part have devoted their lives to public service, and IMO the crimes of a few many years ago do not detract from the good they have done our country.

There's nothing to agree/disagree with, since what I posted are facts...and they're facts that directly counter the quoted poster's assertion that the Kennedys are somehow treated unfairly in the criminal justice system; they're not.

As far as their "public service" goes, sure, they're at the taxpayer trough with their political jobs/appointments. They're politicians. Oh, and let's not forget..."activists". You try that for a while and see how long that puts food on your table. That's another thing I said--that they wouldn't know what to do if they had to get a real job.

Yep. Trust fund babies....I'm sick of the whole lot of them.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:29 PM

50,941 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
There's nothing to agree/disagree with, since what I posted are facts...and they're facts that directly counter the quoted poster's assertion that the Kennedys are somehow treated unfairly in the criminal justice system; they're not.

As far as their "public service" goes, sure, they're at the taxpayer trough with their political jobs/appointments. They're politicians. Oh, and let's not forget..."activists". You try that for a while and see how long that puts food on your table. That's another thing I said--that they wouldn't know what to do if they had to get a real job.

Yep. Trust fund babies....I'm sick of the whole lot of them.
Alright, let's just agree to disagree.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 AM

181 posts, read 218,567 times
Quote:

Is she innocent?

I don't know. Expensive lawyers can come up with some pretty creative excuses for their.mega rich, mega powerful, paying clients.

But I don't KNOW.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:20 AM

81 posts, read 138,135 times
Quote:
What a joke...."the good they have done"

A self-serving elitist class family. And the only reason they had/have political pull is because of LIV followers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events