Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM

395 posts, read 546,169 times

Advertisements

I would expect it could be a couple weeks before we get real answers. If in fact there was criminal behavior involved, the police certainly don't want to broadcast everything they know, and destroy their chances at catching anyone involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:56 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Would anyone expect otherwise.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/13/world/asia/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-370.html?ref=world

"Without specifying why, the Malaysian authorities vastly expanded the search area to the west on Monday, implying that they believed there was a strong chance the plane had traveled there. No similar expansion was made to the east or the south."

Old 03-12-2014, 09:13 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
That might be a possibility seeing many MOBILE PHONES are still active of the passengers!!
Read somewhere that when calling a cell phone internationally , it will ring while the phone is searching for a network. So them ringing isn't all that uncommon.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The guy who missed the Malaysia Airlines flight | The Times of Israel

Old 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Missing Malaysian jet: Satellite imagery provider invites public's help - latimes.com

Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Read somewhere that when calling a cell phone internationally , it will ring while the phone is searching for a network. So them ringing isn't all that uncommon.
Can the phone numbers be tracked to "my location" from Google?

Edit.. nevermind.. I just found out there is no WIFI on these flights.

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 03-12-2014 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
I have a theory on this that has not been previously proposed.

Boeing 777 was the first plane to go to all computer controlled avionics, so called "fly by wire". A computer failure, possibly due to virus but there could be many causes, could have serious consequences. The plane was out of communication and the transponder may have been turned off - both controlled by the computer. The plane may have been on a bizarre course headed for the Straights of Malacca, indicating a lack of ability to navigate properly. Navigation is electronic, controlled by the computer. I emphasize "may" since at this point there are a lot of unknowns. But this behavior is consistent with the notion that the avionics of the plane have been turned off or disabled, either electronically or manually. The pilots were flying blind, unable to communicate or navigate. They only had the ability to aviate since the 777 has a manual over-ride for piloting the plane.

This theory is consistent with today's report that there were radar blips over west of Malasia which could be flight 370, but the problem is the transponder would have to be off for those blips to be the plane. And nobody would intentionally turn off the transponder. This provides an explanation for why the radio is off, why the transponder is off, and why the plane was wondering way off course.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have a theory on this that has not been previously proposed.

Boeing 777 was the first plane to go to all computer controlled avionics, so called "fly by wire". A computer failure, possibly due to virus but there could be many causes, could have serious consequences. The plane was out of communication and the transponder may have been turned off - both controlled by the computer. The plane may have been on a bizarre course headed for the Straights of Malacca, indicating a lack of ability to navigate properly. Navigation is electronic, controlled by the computer. I emphasize "may" since at this point there are a lot of unknowns. But this behavior is consistent with the notion that the avionics of the plane have been turned off or disabled, either electronically or manually. The pilots were flying blind, unable to communicate or navigate. They only had the ability to aviate since the 777 has a manual over-ride for piloting the plane.

This theory is consistent with today's report that there were radar blips over west of Malasia which could be flight 370, but the problem is the transponder would have to be off for those blips to be the plane. And nobody would intentionally turn off the transponder. This provides an explanation for why the radio is off, why the transponder is off, and why the plane was wondering way off course.
Nice theory but not reality. Every single system on a modern Boeing aircraft has at least three backup systems. And every single system can be overridden by the pilot via manual control or processing.

I have researched what we know extensively and I believe the pilots did this. They turned off all tracking and communications, turned the plane around and landed it someplace. The high tech satellite guys were taken away by some foreign military extremist group and the rest either imprisoned or executed. The plane will be found, but not anytime soon, it could be anywhere within 1/3 of the entire world, or even dumped or burned someplace. This will be a mystery that lingers for the record books.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 AM

395 posts, read 546,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
The high tech satellite guys were taken away by some foreign military extremist group and the rest either imprisoned or executed. The plane will be found, but not anytime soon, it could be anywhere within 1/3 of the entire world, or even dumped or burned someplace. This will be a mystery that lingers for the record books.
Arggggggh!
There were NO high tech satellite guys!

Old 03-12-2014, 11:56 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post

I have researched what we know extensively and I believe the pilots did this. They turned off all tracking and communications, turned the plane around and landed it someplace. The high tech satellite guys were taken away by some foreign military extremist group and the rest either imprisoned or executed. The plane will be found, but not anytime soon, it could be anywhere within 1/3 of the entire world, or even dumped or burned someplace. This will be a mystery that lingers for the record books.
That's what I came up ( not that I need to reiterate this point over and over) But my calculations from the 2 and the 7 did not match.. so I knew they went off track by at least an hour.. my calculations were also landing on some landing strip off some island, with an aircraft carrier projected as military. I can't really elaborate on the techies but one of the techies was from IBM.

So why didn't anyone switch their phones to airplane mode and call a relative?

If this was complete system failure, the flight would have entered a vortex and that would marginal to say the least.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events