Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 08:03 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
From the links, latest info coming about people who used Stolen Passport were Black. Very weird that Black Persons used Austria and Italy Passport and were not detected. So a stolen passport and changed photograph while name and passport number remains same.
They could have been illegal immigrants trying to get into Europe (The Netherlands) through stolen identity. Isn't South East Asia one of the most popular routes for illegal immigrants from Middle East and Africa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:07 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,687,965 times
Missing Malaysia Airlines: Eerie moment family of missing passenger successfully ring his phone - but nobody answers - Mirror Online

Apparently some passenger phone is ringing. Not possible if plane crashed, disintegrated or is in the sea.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Identity thieves change photo of stolen passports by freezing. Thats why there are new security measures in passports to prevent them.

A ghost in your passport to make it tamper-proof - The Times of India

So thats what these imposters did??

Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
I wouldn't put too much stock in that ringing phone. Especially since it's probably the ONLY ringing phone from the entire plane (if it wasn't, we'd have heard of more instances of this).

What I think is very odd is that at the very airport where the plane took off, there have been several men over the past year or so who were APPREHENDED WITH EXPLOSIVES AND STOLEN PASSPORTS TRYING TO ENTER THE AIRPORT AND BOARD PLANES. With that sort of recent history, you'd think the airport security would be tighter than Dick's headband.

Missing Malaysian jet lost in 'unprecedented mystery' - chicagotribune.com

This is exactly why my husband quit working overseas in that area though - he said security and air travel safety were absolute jokes in that part of the world.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I wouldn't put too much stock in that ringing phone. Especially since it's probably the ONLY ringing phone from the entire plane (if it wasn't, we'd have heard of more instances of this).
I would agree, if it's just one it could simply be a phone left behind at the hotel. But that site says "Chinese media reports that a number of families have been able to ring mobile phones of their missing loved ones but no one answers."

Old 03-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Sea is very shallow there. Maximum depth is only 80 metres. This plane is like 63 metres long. How impossible it looks that 63 metres long plane will crash in 80 metres deep water and no sign, no debris. In Atlantic crash where water is like 2000 metres or even 3000 metres deep, Flight Black box were emitting signals and debris came up.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,325 times
The oil slicks were not from a plane, but rather from a ship...

Days later, no sign of missing Malaysia Airlines plane - CNN.com

Where are these poor people?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:38 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Missing Malaysia Airlines: Eerie moment family of missing passenger successfully ring his phone - but nobody answers - Mirror Online

Apparently some passenger phone is ringing. Not possible if plane crashed, disintegrated or is in the sea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I would agree, if it's just one it could simply be a phone left behind at the hotel. But that site says "Chinese media reports that a number of families have been able to ring mobile phones of their missing loved ones but no one answers."
From personal experience, I have called someone's cellphone number and it rung several times with no answer after the person's cellphone was completely turned off (due to the fact that they were be on a commercial flight). So this is not an indicator of a cellphone being viable. There is a technical reason for this happening but I can't remember the exact explanation (that someone told me about this some time ago).

Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM

71 posts, read 181,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
From personal experience, I have called someone's cellphone number and it rung several times with no answer after the person's cellphone was completely turned off (due to the fact that they were be on a commercial flight). So this is not an indicator of a cellphone being viable. There is a technical reason for this happening but I can't remember the exact explanation (that someone told me about this some time ago).
Actually, i just tried it now. I put my phone on airplane mode, then removed the battery. Called it from a different phone. No ringing, goes straight to voicemail.

Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM

71 posts, read 181,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
There is a timer that the providers set in their network called T3212. It can be set anywhere from 6 minutes to 24 hours (most providers have it set anywhere from one hour to four hours). Anyway, this timer is like a "roll call". Let's say that it's set to four hours. If your mobile does absolutely nothing for four hours, it automatically sends a message (it's almost like a SMS) to the network and tells it "I'm still here!"

If the mobile doesn't send this message, and the four hours goes by, then the network will mark this mobile as "detached" which means that incoming calls will go directly to voice mail. But until the timer expires, the network thinks the mobile is still available and will try repeatedly to reach the mobile and, after eventually being unsuccessful, go to voicemail.

So, it is very possible that your friends phone whom you called in flight rung even though it was not on because the timer most likely was in that range of 4 hours from when he turned it off. However, it has been 3 days now, way past any timers that would not allow a phone to go straight to voicemail.

Yes, calling a phone from a different network or carrier can be dependent, but being that these are local relatives of family members on that flight who most likely lived in the same region and would have been with the same carrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events