Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 PM

14,937 posts, read 12,132,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
No, it doesn't. The ACA causes people to lose their jobs, get converted to part-time, and doesn't insure most people who were uninsured. Nice try, though.
It also causes people who had insurance that fit their needs, that they could afford, lose that insurance as "non ACA compliant", too.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:42 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
It also causes people who had insurance that fit their needs, that they could afford, lose that insurance as "non ACA compliant", too.
And their doctors and hospitals. But, hey, at least there are no more uninsur --- oh, wait ...

Old 04-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
It wasn't even loaded in the front. It was literally just bald-faced lies.

First they claimed they could cover more people AND SAVE MONEY. Remember that? Everyone laughed but the left said, "no, it's true." Nope, it was a lie.

Then they claimed that the bill was to cover the uninsured. Now it turns out that there will still be millions of uninsured after the bill. A lie.

Then they claimed that it wouldn't affect those with insurance. Ha ha, lie.

Then they claimed that people wanted it. But they needed to postpone almost every aspect of it. Lie.

There is literally nothing they said that was true. It was 100% lies. But now "we can't repeal it." That's how liberals do things. They just lie a lot and then say "can't change it now!"
And they slam anyone who tries to call them out on those lies.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Because they can. Nobody keeps those who can afford it from more timely, more expensive, or otherwise unavailable procedures or from getting them wherever they want. Many go to Cuba for for a range of services. I also think it's a matter of convenience while snowbirding. I doubt they come to Florida specifically for health care...
That isn't what they tell us..... in fact, some have said they deliberately postpone elective surgery, or other procedures so that they can have them done in Florida. And the wait isn't often much longer than the wait they'd have for those procedures in Canada....

So tell me again, what is so wonderful about single payer government healthcare, when many of those covered by that healthcare go elsewhere ( and pay for it out of pocket) to get theirs.....?

Old 04-03-2014, 05:56 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
If someone truly can't afford it, that's one thing, but to chose not to be insured as a statement is infuriating. Every person has a body that can become sick or injured at any time, and hospitals are legally required to treat you. The uninsured walk away from 41 billion/yr in unpaid medical bills. The taxpayers and those with insurance end up paying for them. If you have a body, insuring it is the responsible thing to do for your own physical and financial health, and so the rest of our society doesn't have to pay for it if your body breaks down.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
If someone truly can't afford it, that's one thing, but to chose not to be insured as a statement is infuriating.
No, it's not. It's actually smart because they know that liberals demand that society pay for everything.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:59 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Quote:
Nope, as we have paid into Medicare and SS for the many many years that both DH and I worked, ( approximately 43 years for DH, mine 43 and counting) so I have no qualms about collecting what we have earned, even though those Medicare and SS deductions taken from our checks without our permission. Had we had a choice we would have declined both and taken the money the government took for those programs to invest on our own, and purchase our own health insurance on the private market. But they didn't, and thus we participate in both, and pay healthy premiums for Medicare supplements in addition to the Medicare.

Our employers have always paid into unemployment, but neither DH or I have ever collected it. Even though I was downsized twice in my working life, I diligently looked for and secured other employment in enough time that I never used unemployment. So nope, never used unemployment.

Flood insurance- as regards to that we paid premiums into that program for about 28 years when we had a mortgage on a house in an area declared by FEMA to be in a 100 yr flood plain, it was annexed the year we bought the house. So even though we never even came close to a flooding situation, never had any claims, in compliance with the federal law requiring flood insurance on mortgaged properties, we served as FEMA cash cows. We have no mortgage on the house we live in now, so no, we're not continuing to serve as FEMA cash cows.

My point, which apparently flew right over your head, was that we don't need a government mandate to purchase health insurance. Your questions about participation in any of the other programs you mention, although I answered them, are besides any point, although I recognize in them your pollyparroting of liberal talking points in a poor attempt to justify Obamacare.
Please, point out to me the pollyparrotting (whatever that is) you're accusing me of. Have you had a fire in your home over the years? Break-in? Liability? If not, are you going to drop that insurance? What an asinine idea. Only buy ins. if you know you'll need it. BTW the ins. was to protect the lender. If you had worked harder and longer before buying your home, which I'm sure you would profess the ability to, you would never have been a FEMA "cash cow". Better yet, with a minimal amount of research, you could have bought in an area that didn't require it. I owned 5 homes in my life, the last on a bayfront lot with a bfe of 4' and never had flood ins. For being a conservative paragon of self sufficiency, you were pretty lame.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Please, point out to me the pollyparrotting (whatever that is) you're accusing me of. Have you had a fire in your home over the years? Break-in? Liability? If not, are you going to drop that insurance? What an asinine idea. Only buy ins. if you know you'll need it. BTW the ins. was to protect the lender. If you had worked harder and longer before buying your home, which I'm sure you would profess the ability to, you would never have been a FEMA "cash cow". Better yet, with a minimal amount of research, you could have bought in an area that didn't require it. I owned 5 homes in my life, the last on a bayfront lot with a bfe of 4' and never had flood ins. For being a conservative paragon of self sufficiency, you were pretty lame.
The pollyparrotting is where you try to equate (from what I can tell in the quoted post) Obamacare to things such as Medicare, unemployment benefits, and flood insurance. That's a common tactic, where liberals force people to participate in their programs -- and even fight tooth and nail when Republicans try to allow people to opt out (e.g., privatizing Social Security) -- and then turn around and say that if you used Social Security then you support liberalism. It's a farcical argument.

As far as whether travelaussie should or should not drop insurance based on lack of claims, I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Of course it went right over your head... you're an all-too obvious liberal with not an original thought in your head, so all you can do is to use the left-winger tactic of switching the subject, and looking for anything you can imagine to attempt to discredit or slam anyone who makes statements not to your liking. This in lieu of any real debate or exchange of ideas, because you are not capable of that. Typical for the liberal mentality, and as transparently obvious as glass.

Just to remind you, because you seem to have some difficulty keeping up, the topic was Obamacare, and health insurance. I don't really care about your philosophy, or your decisions regarding homeowner's insurance, flood insurance, or anything else for that matter. And for that matter, I sure don't need your ilk telling me what we coulda, shoulda done in regards to other aspects of our lives. We've done just fine, thank you...

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Quote:
Of course it went right over your head... you're an all-too obvious liberal with not an original thought in your head, so all you can do is to use the left-winger tactic of switching the subject, and looking for anything you can imagine to attempt to discredit or slam anyone who makes statements not to your liking. This in lieu of any real debate or exchange of ideas, because you are not capable of that. Typical for the liberal mentality, and as transparently obvious as glass.

Just to remind you, because you seem to have some difficulty keeping up, the topic was Obamacare, and health insurance. I don't really care about your philosophy, or your decisions regarding homeowner's insurance, flood insurance, or anything else for that matter. And for that matter, I sure don't need your ilk telling me what we coulda, shoulda done in regards to other aspects of our lives. We've done just fine, thank you...
Me too friend. And without your or the other posters help even though you all seem to know every aspect of my life without so much as an introduction. This president is your president too. Just like W was mine. I bide my time without trying to objectify or de- humanize the man or his position. You seem to think that you're somehow above the fray, of better character and almost infallible as if on a mission from on high, yet you say I lack debate, exchange of ideas and slam others opinions. I don't remember throwing the first punch. Maybe you should review. Better yet, before we descend to elementary school levels, we should just let it go. BTW get used to the program. It will evolve into your worst nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events