Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 01:27 AM

270 posts, read 1,109,896 times

Advertisements

I work so my family can have health care coverage through my company. It is not the greatest but it gives us a peace of mind. We have co-pay and family deductible if anything unexpected happens. But I figure I would cross that bridge when it does. Then last Dec, my 14 yo daughter was dx'ed with a rare auto immune disorder. One week in the children's hospital, just the hospital portion of the bill was $50k. And then doctors and labs also sent us bills too. My hubby and I make enough income to cover all normal and expected expenses and a very modest rainy day fund. This event was not a rainy day. This was a bottomless sink hole. Until I saw the paperwork my insurance company sent me. At the end, we owed about $1500, which we covered using our savings. But without any insurance, we would be in deep trouble, just as we start to put our family finance back in order.

A healthy young person at any time can get sick. My daughter could not just walk into an ER and hope to get treated, because she did not have observable injuries. She needed a doctor who did not dismiss her complaint of muscle pain, admitted her into a hospital, and take the time to figure out what she had. Without any kind of insurance coverage, my daughter would have no way to get treatment. She would be better if she had an accident, then at least I could take her to an ER.

My 14 yo daughter could not file for bankruptcy. So that tactic is out.

Finally, ACA is like any other health insurance, enrollment is permitted at open enrollment period or when you experience a life event change. This could be birth of a dependent, death of family, change job, lost job, marriage, divorce... and so forth. So unless a person has one of these life events immediately before/ after being sick with something or involved in an accident, this person is not qualifies to enroll to ACA nor a company sponsored plan. So there is no jumping on board here either.

As for the one poster saying to another "why don't you get a job that provides insurance and not steal money from others, are you too lazy to work ?" I wonder how did anyone deduct Phlinak is not working for a job that provides insurance? Perhaps he/she is. Plus Phlinak only said he/she was satisfied with having a health care plan for the family, not ACA specifically. To counter one's positive attitude towards health insurances and ACA with insult "too lazy to work" only shows how grouchy some folks are.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 AM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
no -- big business who can afford it is being terrible to their employees -almost like punishing them with 29 hrs or less... seen more theft and turnover than ever before.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
In the rare event that a young person needed health care, and in the rare event they couldn't manufacture an excuse that would allow them to get insurance at that point, I would guess that they would file for bankruptcy instead of pay the medical bills. Sure they would take a credit hit for a few years, but maybe their credit wasn't any good to begin with. Either way, bankruptcy isn't a big personal tragedy.
OK, then what happens the next time and it's too soon to file bankruptcy again?

Quote:
And if your a 28 year old male, congratulations, you now get to pay the exact same rate as a 82 year old female with cancer.

Today the older generation is fleecing the younger generation in ways that have no historical analogy.
Don't know where you get your facts, all individual health plans are age based, the older you are, the more you pay.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:17 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Yes! I can and I will. Or I can always opt not to be suckered into a two week American hospital stay.

Besides, I figure if I'm saving $6500 a year in not paying for health insurance, PLUS the $10,000 deductible which I would have to pay out to get the cheapest insurance available to me - that adds up to $16,500 a year which I can bank. The fine would have to be HUGE in the next few years to be more than the amount I will save - and invest.
Precisely. +1

The American "health care" industry is a scam to dwarf all others in history. Sheep by the tens of millions to be milked of their last penny.

Yes, suffice to say that there are many others of us who will fight this right along with you.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:31 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
OK, then what happens the next time and it's too soon to file bankruptcy again?
I guess you have to wait and file it again the next time you're eligible.

Quote:
Don't know where you get your facts, all individual health plans are age based, the older you are, the more you pay.
Actually, I don't know why I wrote that - I guess it was just getting late. Obviously your rates will go up, but they won't be the same. Sorry about that.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiwei View Post

My 14 yo daughter could not file for bankruptcy. So that tactic is out.
Yes, but if she doesn't have any assets she is also judgement proof so it doesn't really matter if she filed bankruptcy or not. There's no debtor's prison (except for taxes and child support.)

But that may not be a good solution for you, I recognize.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM

893 posts, read 885,847 times
You voted for the moron. You deal with it.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:22 AM

320 posts, read 480,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
Of course, when you do get ill or injure yourself and can't pay thousands in medical bills, you'll just file bankruptcy, right? Sounds like a responsible plan...

Old 03-29-2014, 08:26 AM

452 posts, read 709,496 times
My husband and I just found that we are now able to be fully insured under obamacare for $18 a month! That includes vision!

We're paying the penalty. Neither of us is willing to force another American to pay for our insurance. It's unconstitutional and we have chosen to disregard it.

Once they started asking for vehicle tag numbers and bank account numbers (yes, they can auto debit your account whenever they choose once you're enrolled) from one of our employees, he opted out and will pay the penalty next year.

Small business must pay this year (just so you know, check with your CPA to make sure you're not penalized for not paying the penalty on time!)

Old 03-29-2014, 08:32 AM

452 posts, read 709,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Yes, but if she doesn't have any assets she is also judgement proof so it doesn't really matter if she filed bankruptcy or not. There's no debtor's prison (except for taxes and child support.)

But that may not be a good solution for you, I recognize.
Believe it or not, the debtor's prison is reviving. Here's just a quick update from the ACLU

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-l...tion-companies

(The big revival started in 2010 and includes anything you owe the government, back taxes, traffic tickets, anything. Nobody knows it except the uber poor because they're the only ones affected by it as of yet.)

2010 article:
https://www.aclu.org/prisoners-right...ebtors-prisons

Now, those are just from the ACLU. I'd imagine you'll find the sordid details in personal accounts, which I've not looked for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events