Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Believe it or not, the debtor's prison is reviving. Here's just a quick update from the ACLU

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-l...tion-companies

(The big revival started in 2010 and includes anything you owe the government, back taxes, traffic tickets, anything. Nobody knows it except the uber poor because they're the only ones affected by it as of yet.)

2010 article:
https://www.aclu.org/prisoners-right...ebtors-prisons

Now, those are just from the ACLU. I'd imagine you'll find the sordid details in personal accounts, which I've not looked for.
This is for court-ordered fines.....apples and oranges.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
My husband and I just found that we are now able to be fully insured under obamacare for $18 a month! That includes vision!

We're paying the penalty. Neither of us is willing to force another American to pay for our insurance. It's unconstitutional and we have chosen to disregard it.

Once they started asking for vehicle tag numbers and bank account numbers (yes, they can auto debit your account whenever they choose once you're enrolled) from one of our employees, he opted out and will pay the penalty next year.

Small business must pay this year (just so you know, check with your CPA to make sure you're not penalized for not paying the penalty on time!)
Who's going to pay if one of you gets sick? If your premium is only $18 a month, you have to be low income and I would assume don't have hundreds of thousands laying around?

Which amendment does it violate, btw?

Old 03-29-2014, 11:01 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Of course, when you do get ill or injure yourself and can't pay thousands in medical bills, you'll just file bankruptcy, right? Sounds like a responsible plan...
The point is, I'm someone who CAN pay thousands in medical bills if I had to. Multiple thousands. So my CHOICE is to invest the money I would be giving for free to an insurance megalith due to the ACA, so that I WILL have more funds socked away against an emergency.

I'm cheap, but I'm neither stupid nor someone who feeds off of others.

The rest of you - think how much money you could have put away for emergencies if you had been saving and investing all of the funds you have given away for free to the insurance megaliths over the years!

Old 03-29-2014, 11:12 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I'm thrilled to finally get insurance again. I was laid off at 58 and could only get part-time work with no benefits and had been uninsured since '08 because of pre-existing and age insurance was affordable at all, it would have cost me over 1/2 my monthly income. Now at near 64 I can get health insurance until my Medicare kicks in a year and a half from now. I'm on SS but still need to work at least part time so again I'm thrilled to get ACA.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Thousands to pay for medical care... multiple thousands, heck my cancer treatment probably cost my insurer (who negotiated rates down from the 'rack rate') well over $30,000 - and it wasn't a difficult cancer to treat. If you don't have insurance the health care providers charge the 'rack rate', often twice what the insurance company is paying for the same services.

Don't be stupid, buy insurance.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:20 AM

320 posts, read 480,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
The point is, I'm someone who CAN pay thousands in medical bills if I had to. Multiple thousands. So my CHOICE is to invest the money I would be giving for free to an insurance megalith due to the ACA, so that I WILL have more funds socked away against an emergency.

I'm cheap, but I'm neither stupid nor someone who feeds off of others.

The rest of you - think how much money you could have put away for emergencies if you had been saving and investing all of the funds you have given away for free to the insurance megaliths over the years!

Conversely, those out-of-pocket "multiple thousands" (assuming you're that liquid) you'd spend on medical bills --otherwise offset with health insurance--- also could've been invested. But most people, especially the middle class, don't have that luxury and need to hedge against catastrophic expenses.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:25 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
I don't like everything about the Affordable care act, but just FYI - going without insurance is extremely dangerous. You are one major car accident or stroke away from a medical bill that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and I doubt you have that much money sitting around to cover such a cost. So you would be forced into bankruptcy. It may not happen...but then again it may, and you never know when that day comes. The gamble you are making here is really not very smart.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't like everything about the Affordable care act, but just FYI - going without insurance is extremely dangerous. You are one major car accident or stroke away from a medical bill that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and I doubt you have that much money sitting around to cover such a cost. So you would be forced into bankruptcy. It may not happen...but then again it may, and you never know when that day comes. The gamble you are making here is really not very smart.
In a car accident your car insurance would pay.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:35 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
If I got sick I would get insurance then, since they couldn't discriminate for pre-existing conditions.
Um, no.

There is an enrollment period that rolls around annually (nothing new). If a person requires medical care while not covered, s/he cannot be retroactively covered.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:38 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
My husband and I just found that we are now able to be fully insured under obamacare for $18 a month! That includes vision!

We're paying the penalty. Neither of us is willing to force another American to pay for our insurance. It's unconstitutional and we have chosen to disregard it.

If one of you requires medical care that you cannot afford to pay, the rest of your community will pay for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events