Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:34 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,601,833 times

Advertisements

First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?

Old 03-28-2014, 11:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Corcern troll is concerned.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:06 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
I get my health care through my employer, but if I didn't I would simply pay the penalty. If I got sick I would get insurance then, since they couldn't discriminate for pre-existing conditions. (Imagine if car insurance worked the same way, I could wait until after the wreck to buy insurance.)

The young people are really getting screwed on this one. We're forcing them to subsidized their parents healthcare.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:14 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I would never go without health insurance. We're all forced to buy insurance - if you have a mortgage you're required to have homeowner's insurance, if you drive you're required to have auto insurance - and the fine for not having that is MUCH more than $95. As a contact employee, I will not be hired to work without Liability insurance. Why would this one insurance requirement upset you so much compared to all the others?

Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would never go without health insurance. We're all forced to buy insurance - if you have a mortgage you're required to have homeowner's insurance, if you drive you're required to have auto insurance - and the fine for not having that is MUCH more than $95. As a contact employee, I will not be hired to work without Liability insurance. Why would this one insurance requirement upset you so much compared to all the others?
Choice.

I do not have to have a mortgage or, own a car.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Choice.

I do not have to have a mortgage or, own a car.
Well, you are an exception, as most people do need these things, at least the car.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well, you are an exception, as most people do need these things, at least the car.
They still are making a choice to have them.

BTW, I do have many trucks and pay lots of insurance........but, that is my choice.

No law says I have to drive those trucks on the public roads.

I would not need insurance to drive on private land.

Old 03-28-2014, 01:48 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Actually, you are often not required to have car insurance. You can place a bond with the state, make a cash deposit, or otherwise self-insure. A few states don't even require that - they only require that you be able to pay for any accident you cause or will otherwise be sanctioned.

And all that assumes you want to have a car and want to drive it on public roads.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:08 PM

It NJ it is mandated. But okay, I give....ACA is WAY, WAY worse than all the other things the government requires.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
It NJ it is mandated. But okay, I give....ACA is WAY, WAY worse than all the other things the government requires.
Vehicle insurance is required in Michigan too.

I do know some very well off contractors that LOVE the new law.

Even though they have in the neighborhood of a million dollars in equipment and nice buildings they get very cheap insurance now.

That pay no taxes because of their write offs......so their income is next to nothing or, nothing.

So they are getting Medicaid or, cheap health insurance.

Only income counts......not assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events