Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 03:01 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times

Advertisements

Just remember, they had to pass the bill to see what was inside the bill, and now that the people see, they are not happy.
Name one thing the Govt is good at doing ? other than blowing stuff up.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?
They can't do that.

Wait, they do lots of things they can't do, so maybe they can.

Good luck with your civil disobedience but why not just vote in the next election? They have them every two years, you know, and there's one coming up in a few months. Even before that, the candidates hold "town hall meetings" where you can go and ask them questions so you'll be educated this time and not just vote for the cool guy.

P.S. The $95 or 1% fine is just for the first year. It gets worse. Way, way, way worse year after year until you will just give up and buy the damn insurance already. So I'll just reiterate my advice to cast an educated vote.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
What will you do if you are hospitalized for two weeks and come out with a $200,000 bill? Will you pay it out of pocket?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:46 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Quote:
I've been wondering how they're going to hunt down and identify all of us who don't have insurance, anyway. Will they force doctors and hospitals to rat us out?
The IRS will be the one who "rats you out". Check out IRS.gov it's all there.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,704 times
We can't afford to add me to my husband's insurance. Just to add me would cost about $400-$800 a month depending on the plan chosen. Because his employer pays a good portion of his insurance, we aren't qualified for any subsidies. They only look at what the EMPLOYEE only has to pay, not what the total cost to have your spouse/children on the employer's plan. I also can't afford what is being offered on the Exchange - prices are roughly the same as it would be for me to be added to my husband's plan. The deductibles range from $5000 to $10,000 the last time I looked. It's not a matter of not wanting to be insured, it's a matter of truly not being able to afford it, so I get to pay the fine, which for us will be less than $150 this year. Hopefully I can finish school and get a job before the fines go up too much. I'm not seeing where the Affordable Care Act is actually affordable for us.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
By 2016, if everyone that does not have coverage has not already signed up - the law will remain in effect (right or wrong depending on your political ideology) and will be enforced.

However - Once it becomes obvious that there are still people that have not signed up for the ACA and/or do not have any other coverage:

Another law will be passed that requires hospitals and medical care providers to charge anywhere from a 200 - 300% increased price for health care to people that show up without insurance - basically a surcharge that goes to the government. They will be billed accordingly and as a result have to pay the inflated bill which will/would take into account all of the money they saved by not paying for medical insurance. Those that do not pay will have their credit destroyed and/or face wage garnishments, liens on property, etc and essentially be regulated into being a second class citizen, at least financially. It will impact their entire lives economically and thus 'force' them to eventually sign up, at least as they start to get older. This will affect those with moderate to significant assets and income, the most that choose not to get health insurance. Those that previously got healthcare for free and lacked the ability to pay, always will.

For those that are going to claim that it cannot work or be done that way: regarding those without insurance by 2016 having to pay (be billed) substantially more for medical care they receive - FYI, it has already been done for years in terms of hospitals billing people for way more for services and care if/when they do not have insurance then if the costs associated with their care are being billed to an insurance company. It is already done today so that a hospital can write off a larger loss or send a larger bill to a collection agency since someone without insurance rarely has the ability to pay a large amount to begin with. Similar to an ER bill that would normally result in an insurance company being billed about $6,000, actually being close to $12,000 if the hospital realizes that the person does not have insurance.

It will become the new normal for those that choose not to get coverage, and thus indirectly force them into securing coverage: of course based on income and ability to pay - so there will still be those paying directly to subsidize others that cannot 'afford' healthcare.

And slowly Rome continues to burn. . . . . .

Sky-O

Old 03-28-2014, 04:18 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
By 2016, if everyone that does not have coverage has not already signed up - the law will remain in effect (right or wrong depending on your political ideology) and will be enforced.

However - Once it becomes obvious that there are still people that have not signed up for the ACA and/or do not have any other coverage:

Another law will be passed that requires hospitals and medical care providers to charge anywhere from a 200 - 300% increased price for health care to
people that show up without insurance - basically a surcharge that goes to the government. They will be billed accordingly and as a result have to pay the inflated bill which will/would take into account all of the money they saved by not paying for medical insurance. Those that do not pay will have their credit destroyed and/or face wage garnishments, liens on property, etc and essentially be regulated into being a second class citizen, at least financially. It will impact their entire lives economically and thus 'force' them to eventually sign up, at least as they start to get older. This will affect those with moderate to significant assets and income, the most that choose not to get health insurance. Those that previously got healthcare for free and lacked the ability to pay, always will.

For those that are going to claim that it cannot work or be done that way: regarding those without insurance by 2016 having to pay (be billed) substantially more for medical care they receive - FYI, it has already been done for years in terms of hospitals billing people for way more for services and care if/when they do not have insurance then if the costs associated with their care are being billed to an insurance company. It is already done today so that a hospital can write off a larger loss or send a larger bill to a collection agency since someone without insurance rarely has the ability to pay a large amount to begin with. Similar to an ER bill that would normally result in an insurance company being billed about $6,000, actually being close to $12,000 if the hospital realizes that the person does not have insurance.

It will become the new normal for those that choose not to get coverage, and thus indirectly force them into securing coverage: of course based on income and ability to pay - so there will still be those paying directly to subsidize others that cannot 'afford' healthcare.

And slowly Rome continues to burn. . . . . .

Sky-O
That's one amazing crystal ball that can tell you all of that.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:24 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
First I want to say that I'm a Democrat and like President Obama very much.

BUT - I cannot tolerate being FORCED to give free money to the insurance megaliths by participating in the Affordable Care Act. I've always saved for and paid for health care with my own money, and want to continue to do so.

I've been waiting and thinking. Then my local paper published the following regarding the fine for not participating. It's only $95 or 1% of your taxable income!

So why would anyone even WANT to participate unless you need to feed off the federal trough? For me the fine will be less than $400. Compare that to shelling out about $6500 a year for NOTHING, and having to pay a $10,000 deductible on top of that if anything major were to happen to me. And that doesn't even include anything for optical or dental care!

Anyway, I see no reason to sign up for health insurance per the "Affordable Care Act". Are any of you out there joining me in my act of civil disobedience?
No, I like having healthcare insurance and so do my kids, so you'll have to fight this windmill by yourself, Don Quixote.

Happy hunting.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
What will you do if you are hospitalized for two weeks and come out with a $200,000 bill? Will you pay it out of pocket?
Yes! I can and I will. Or I can always opt not to be suckered into a two week American hospital stay.

Besides, I figure if I'm saving $6500 a year in not paying for health insurance, PLUS the $10,000 deductible which I would have to pay out to get the cheapest insurance available to me - that adds up to $16,500 a year which I can bank. The fine would have to be HUGE in the next few years to be more than the amount I will save - and invest.

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 03-28-2014 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 04:32 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why would this one insurance requirement upset you so much compared to all the others?
Because this one insurance requirement requires a portion of the people that are forced to pay for it: to subsidize the costs of a percentage of those covered that are not and will not have to pay for it.

When I pay for homeowner's insurance, part of the money I am paying does not get re-directed towards buying homes and insuring those that do not own homes and/or have homeowner's insurance.

When I pay for auto insurance, the amount paid is not based on my income and none of the premium is used to cover other people that are driving but do not pay for insurance. It also does not fund the purchasing of vehicles for those that do not currently own one.

As a contract employee - the purchasing of liability insurance does not include an amount that is used to pay for liability insurance for other contract employees that do not have coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events