Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:08 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,542,937 times

Advertisements

The pictures I have seen of the rescue show that the father was not left on the sailboat. He was on the small rescue boat with the rest of his family. The Navy said that they "pointed the abandoned sailboat in the direction of Mexico". Suffice it to say, in those waters, it probably won't last too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,543,517 times
Man, my wife wouldn't let us go to the beach until my boy was 14 months.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 AM

15,081 posts, read 12,272,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think it is incredibly stupid and short sighted to try such a trip with such young children. At least wait till they can both walk or at least speak and swim. I hope the child is OK but I think the parents should be made to pay for the rescue efforts.

Sea Rescue Underway For Sick Infant Near Mexican Coast - ABC News
I hope so too, those will be some steep costs, and IMO these parents should have to live with the consequences of their decisions.

IMO it was insane on the part of those parents to take such young children on such a long sailing journey, and I see no reason that taxpayers should bear the burdens of such decisions.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,262,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Man, my wife wouldn't let us go to the beach until my boy was 14 months.
No kidding. I took my 1 year old on a boat on a lake, and was a nervous wreck all day.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,827,876 times
They should have to pay for the rescue. They did lose their boat - it wasn't sunk, and it's probably already been recovered and is going to be sold or scrapped.

The parents did this for themselves. An around the world trip with children 1 and 3 means the parents will remember the trip, but the children won't. This was probably a life-long dream of the parents, and they decided to accomplish it before the kids were in school. Too bad they didn't try to accomplish it BEFORE they had kids.

Unless they are very wealthy, they probably won't be able to attempt this again, at least not for awhile, given how much boats cost and how much money they'll have to have saved to go again.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:39 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,543,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No kidding. I took my 1 year old on a boat on a lake, and was a nervous wreck all day.
We have a daughter due in August, which means I won't get to go anywhere on vacation until at least 2016. LOL.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:42 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,050,435 times
I lol when the mom's own brother went on T.V this morning and said he told them it was a bad idea. They were just hard-headed and they're lucky that they didn't run into a storm and have one of the kids washed over-board for their stupidity.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:45 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,195,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
To me, it seems like pure selfishness on the part of the parents. The kids won't even remember this great adventure. The parents probably wanted to do it, and weren't going to let a couple kids stand in their way. I think it is irresponsible to take a child of any age, really, that far from medical care for that long of a time.
Lots of landlubbers commenting here. I live in a seaside town with a large maritime trades industry. You'd be surprised how many people live on boats full-time with children and do long cruises all the time. The reason most people are unaware of this is that there are rarely problems that make front-page news. I personally know a man who cruised halfway around the world with his wife and four children when two of the children were quite young.

It's not something I'd personally do, going that far offshore with children that young, though a shorter trip closer to land, sure. And I do wish the parents were on the hook for the rescue.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,965,950 times
Different strokes for different folks. It seems to me that this family is living the life they want with their beautiful children and exposing them to amazing things. I agree that if they had to be rescued make them pay for it, but what they did does not make them bad parents.

If I could have afforded to, I would have lived on the road with my children and travelled with them. Life has more to offer than a 9-5 job and public schooling. 95% of people are going to criticize this family for living deliberately and for making what they feel was a bad decision. It's their life. More power to them.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,170,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Probably leave 2 Navy Sailors behind on the sail boat to help the father bring it back to port. I'm willing to bet as soon as the Navy Ship is with in range the US Coast Guard will lunch a Helicopter to bring them US based Hospital (Where i'm sure they will be treated for free).

All this on the US (and Calf) tax payer's dime.
The family was forced to abandon the boat. They had less than an hour to get everything they wanted off the boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events