Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:05 AM

11,197 posts, read 9,818,670 times

Advertisements

I'm with you SGrey. These folks probably had not done much research into what they were going to be facing if they thought it was appropriate for small children. Imagine the huge waves and storms going through a southern passage around the cape. Or what about Somali pirates, and rogue waves, or being becalmed, or if dad should suffer something like a broken arm or leg from slipping on deck and could no longer assist with the sails. This boat was only about 35 feet, I have personally seen waves 35 feet tall that would capsize that boat in a heartbeat. This just reminds me of the morons who hike off unprepared into the wilderness without even checking a weather report and then expect first responders to risk their lives to save them because they call 911.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,821,683 times
Here is her blog

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog

Reading it, both she and the baby had salmonella about 9 days before they left on their voyage on March 20. According to their March 11 entry, the baby was put on 3 antibiotics and a steroid for that a respiratory infection. The older daughter also was on 3 antibiotics for respiratory infection. Thing is, that's what happens with young children, they get sick - sometimes often. They were sick with multiple ailments a week and a half before they left.

Last edited by michgc; 04-08-2014 at 08:57 AM..

Old 04-08-2014, 09:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,202,035 times
I agree with the poster who said CPS should be waiting for them when they land.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 AM

14,437 posts, read 14,379,435 times
When we were in New Zealand a few years ago, we met a family that had sailed there from California. One of the family members was a ten year old girl.

I honestly don't see why families with young children take these kind of risks. There are too many things that can go wrong. One could develop appendicitis or any number of acutely painful medical conditions that require intervention. As others have said, one could be swept overboard or break a limb

All of us occasionally see parenting choices and decisions that we disagree with. However, there is a difference between the parent who chooses to leave an eight year alone in their home for short periods and the parent who undertakes a risky ocean voyage with a baby. In my view, this was child neglect. I think the parents should be charged with criminal neglect and the system should take its course.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,147,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGrey View Post
My brother-in-law and his wife worked hard to retire early and sail around the world. From what I know of their experiences, young children have no place whatsoever going along. It is not an easy life by any means. The extremely cramped quarters and weather are just the tip of the iceberg. Even when everything is going perfectly, you have to be constantly vigilant. There were times they slept different shifts just to keep everything going smoothly. Add 2 kids into the mix and it's a recipe for disaster.

I struggle to comprehend what they were thinking and can only surmise they weren't thinking at all.
Yes, on a sailboat, ever with the autohelm on, someone has to be at the helm of the boat 24/7. Even though sailboats have the right of way, those massive tankers go on autopilot and will run over a sailboat so that is what you must watch out for. Those tankers are very scary and move very fast compared to a sailboat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I'm with you SGrey. These folks probably had not done much research into what they were going to be facing if they thought it was appropriate for small children. Imagine the huge waves and storms going through a southern passage around the cape. Or what about Somali pirates, and rogue waves, or being becalmed, or if dad should suffer something like a broken arm or leg from slipping on deck and could no longer assist with the sails. This boat was only about 35 feet, I have personally seen waves 35 feet tall that would capsize that boat in a heartbeat. This just reminds me of the morons who hike off unprepared into the wilderness without even checking a weather report and then expect first responders to risk their lives to save them because they call 911.
I understand where you are coming from but, that boat had roller furling which means all the sails hoisted automatically and were not manual (yes, this can break) and they were about 10,000 miles from Somalia. There were also about 7,000 miles from Cape Horn. The type of sailboat I understand it to be, that of a winged keel, would have made it almost impossible to flip as 2/3 of the entire weight of the boat is in the keel. However, as a very experience sailor, no way would I be on a boat that small in the Pacific Ocean. It is the little things that make that trip scary for me not the catastrophic stuff.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM

183 posts, read 265,165 times
Sailing the high seas in a little 36 foot sail boat with 2 kids under 4, thousands of miles away from any medical attention or assistance? WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Old 04-08-2014, 01:06 PM

9,827 posts, read 11,591,829 times
I don't see a problem with it if the kids are older, but these kids were way too young to understand what the hell is going on.
This Nomadic Lifestyle has been around for a while.
River and Joaquin phoenix grew up like this!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM

8,088 posts, read 10,113,473 times
36 foot boat taken into some of the worst oceans in the world: Wrong.

Four people living on a 36 foot boat: Wrong

Taking a three year old to sea: Wrong

Taking a sick one year old to sea: Wrong.

What were these parents thinking? Maybe the three year old will remember the voyage. The one year old? Probably nothing. Why would parents do such a thing? Selfish greed. We want to be parents, and we want to be high risk world travelers. So the children be damned.

At a MINIMUM, if they are not arrested for endangering the welfare of their children, they should be made to reimburse for the cost of their rescue.

P.S., I hate to litter the oceans, but I trust they left the boat out there to be ripped apart by mother nature.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,264,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
Link?
I read the same thing, probably on USAToday's website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Yes, on a sailboat, ever with the autohelm on, someone has to be at the helm of the boat 24/7. Even though sailboats have the right of way, those massive tankers go on autopilot and will run over a sailboat so that is what you must watch out for. Those tankers are very scary and move very fast compared to a sailboat.

I understand where you are coming from but, that boat had roller furling which means all the sails hoisted automatically and were not manual (yes, this can break) and they were about 10,000 miles from Somalia. There were also about 7,000 miles from Cape Horn. The type of sailboat I understand it to be, that of a winged keel, would have made it almost impossible to flip as 2/3 of the entire weight of the boat is in the keel. However, as a very experience sailor, no way would I be on a boat that small in the Pacific Ocean. It is the little things that make that trip scary for me not the catastrophic stuff.
Are you sure about that? I can see where in a harbor that would be the case, but a tanker or freighter would find it difficult to maneuver around a much smaller vessel even in open water.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,605,732 times
That assumes the freighter can see the small vessel.

If you charge for rescue many will not ask for help but there is the foolhardy factor here and in mountain climbing.

If either of the children, or either of the adults for that matter, were sick before shoving off Child Protective Services should take custody of the kids. The reason why I mention either of the adults being sick is that you need two able bodied, healthy, adults to care for the children and sail even in calm seas/river. Because the vessel was scuttled it is impossible to check the living conditions but the pictures on the blog should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events