Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,556,124 times

Advertisements

It was only what, maybe 10 thousand years ago the sea level was 400 feet lower that it is today? I have dived in Florida caves and found evidence of humans 100 feet down. The water level will rise over the next centuries as we continue to come out of the Ice Age. But it is one of the reasons I would not move to Florida if I won the Lottery. The other reason being the porous geology, the whole state is one potential sinkhole. Wouldn't want to build a million dollar mansion and have it disappear down a hole, eh?
The recent hullabaloo about the Antarctic glaciers projects the slide into the sea, and the rise in sea level, to take about 1000 years, so no big rush to move back to Alabama just yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Al Gore, in 2008, announced that the polar ice cap would be gone by 2013.

.......still waiting........
His prediction may have been some what premature but ice melt in the arctic is happening in a big way..
More Northwest Passage travel planned by Danish shipper - North - CBC News

Old 05-13-2014, 09:31 AM

624 posts, read 764,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Al Gore, in 2008, announced that the polar ice cap would be gone by 2013.

.......still waiting........
Your wait may be over.

NASA West Antarctic Ice Sheet Findings: Glacier Loss Appears Unstoppable

Old 05-13-2014, 09:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,689,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
It's not the oil tycoons that are buying elections
Do you actually believe the oil tycoons aren't going to make their millions even if you enact all of the CO2 laws you want?

Is your plan essentially to stop all modern manufacturing? Without oil, we won't be producing new computers, modern batteries, electric cars, many medical devices, cell phones and practically most goods that you have become accustomed. Well, I take that back, we'll be producing some, but you won't be able to afford them.

That's just not going to happen. We are not going to stop using oil. Sure, we can cut back, but everything you buy will jump dramatically in price, and the oil barons will continue to be rich. They just won't have to run as big of companies as they do today.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,617,445 times
Al Gore predicted that the ice cap "might" be gone, not that it definitely would be. It's still here, but it certainly seems to be heading that direction.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I don't think I know a single person or know of a single post that states the earth's climate does not change.

You can look back at the fossil, ice and tree records and see the climate changes frequently.

It seems to me that the "climate change" proponents are the deniers. They seem to believe that the climate shouldn't be changing.

I dont understand this line of logic you are trying to put forward. What evidence do you have to suggest any one in the world thinks the climate doesnt or hasnt changed? It changes every day from morning to night, it changes from winter to summer.etc.. I suspect you've missed the entire point of the debate which is whether mans activities on the Earth are causing an abnormal rise in global temperatures, seems the worlds scientific community thinks we are,And Americas political rightwing think not and because they havent a shred of evidence to thwart the scientists claims they have changed the direction of the debate to some silly idea that people are claiming the climate never changes.. ..
I could post many sites supporting the scientific consensus on Global Warming but this one is all thats needed.
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Last edited by jambo101; 05-13-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you actually believe the oil tycoons aren't going to make their millions even if you enact all of the CO2 laws you want?

Is your plan essentially to stop all modern manufacturing? Without oil, we won't be producing new computers, modern batteries, electric cars, many medical devices, cell phones and practically most goods that you have become accustomed. Well, I take that back, we'll be producing some, but you won't be able to afford them.

That's just not going to happen. We are not going to stop using oil. Sure, we can cut back, but everything you buy will jump dramatically in price, and the oil barons will continue to be rich. They just won't have to run as big of companies as they do today.
So your point is... that we shouldn't bother preserving a livable habitat for human beings, because there will still be rich people? That seems rather defeatist.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont understand this line of logic you are trying tp put forward. What evidence do you have to suggest any one in the world thinks the climate doesnt or hasnt changed? It changes every day from morning to night, it changes from winter to summer.etc.. I suspect you've missed the entire point of the debate which is whether mans activities on the Earth are causing an abnormal rise in global temperatures, seems the scientific community thinks we are,And Americas political rightwing think not and because they havent a shred of evidence to thwart the scientists claims they have changed to direction of the debate to some silly idea that people are claiming the climate never changes.. ..
The day/night cycle is not climate change, nor are seasons. There is a difference between weather and climate.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:43 AM

624 posts, read 764,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
I think that the denial of global warming and climate change has nothing to do with rational thinking, awareness of the fact that virtually all reputable scientists world wide have come to a consensus that this is happening, etc. This "belief" that there is no global warming is just that: belief, not rational thinking that is based on objective evidence. People who deny these irrefutable studies as valid do this out of an emotional need to support, usually, a set of beliefs which have nothing to do with evidence.

These people are like those who don't "believe" in evolution. It has nothing whatsoever to do with evidence. I don't bother arguing with them.
I totally agree with you.

However, here is an Evangelical Xtian who does believe in climate change

Katharine Hayhoe | Climate Scientist, Communicator, Educator

Conservative Christians and climate change: Five arguments for why one should care about global warming.

Wonder why Rush/Hannity et al has never had her on their shows?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,501,992 times
You're right Mr. Ten Cat: It is unstoppable.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/32670477-post5.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events