Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 01:30 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,403,590 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida and own property here. The evidence of sea level rise is evident everywhere and I don't need any scientists whether for or against climate change to tell me the truth of rising sea levels. Florida ranges from a few inches to a few feet above sea level and any increase is going to affect coastal Florida as well as potentially the aquifer with devastating effects. Except for those who don't want to acknowledge the obvious, as far as I know many businesses, coastal communities and insurance companies all know what's coming down the pike and are preparing for its consequences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/08/us...ange.html?_r=0

Last edited by TreeBeard; 05-11-2014 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 01:50 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
There is no point in denying an outright LIE.

So the sea level has risen since 1870. Can you tell me it hasnt risen before....ever.

Climate change. Oh wait, it was global warming until everyone was freezing last winter...is nothing more than BS.

Just look back when the eco-nazis were screaming about the BP oil spill in the Gulf...how it was going to be a disaster. And what happened? The Gulf microbes ate up the oil...no disaster.

We have to stop listening to so called scientists.....all they are looking for is more government funding so they can keep their jobs

Old 05-11-2014, 05:53 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,299,513 times
It is foolish to disavow mans impact on the planet. Our population has grown in the last 200 years at a faster rate than at anytime in history. The sea life off the coast of California is a fraction of what it once was only 80 years ago. Salmon runs up the West coast and even Alaska are dwindling. Glaciers are melting, and at the fastest rate near the equator. The sad reality is that once we all agree we have a problem it will most likely be too late to make a major impact of change. The opponents of change do not have a credible argument and their biased studies from a minority are paid for by those who profit most from the status quo.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:01 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,345 times
MrWillys, what do you mean the glaciers are melting at the fastest rate near the equator? I was unaware that there were glaciers on the equator.

IF any climate change was caused by humans and our government believed their scientists. Why haven't they taken emergency action? First they should halt all wars and direct their energies to address the situation. Such as slamming the door on all immigration. All the new immigrants would be using resources that result in adding to the CO2 levels.
Next they should be put in place a moratorium on new babies.
They should declare martial law to deal with the riots that are sure to occur when they announce a mandatory sterilization program for all welfare recipients.

I don't see any of those things happening, therefore I cannot take any such as "global warming" seriously.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
MrWillys, what do you mean the glaciers are melting at the fastest rate near the equator? I was unaware that there were glaciers on the equator.
There are actually quite a few glaciers near the equator. Kilimanjaro in Africa, the Andes in South America, and even the Himalaya's. If you'd like you can read more here.

Retreat of glaciers since 1850 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honestly, I'm just sharing what I've learned in my time here. I stood at rivers in the Seattle area 20 years ago looking at it packed with Salmon. My brother who lives there says the numbers are shrinking. Watch Deadliest Catch and (I read Sig Hansen's book) he talks about record crab season being in the 70's, and they're aware why they have shortened seasons.

I could go on and on, but it won't change your mind. I'll be gone in 30 years, so I don't think I'll see crisis point in my life. My perception is weather patterns have changed in my life and become more extreme, but I'm just and old Carpenter.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
My perception is weather patterns have changed in my life and become more extreme, but I'm just and old Carpenter.
Don't be so self centered. The earth was not born when you were born. Besides, how do you know that what we have now is the normal and any deviation from it is abnormal? Just because some real estate developers thought it is a good idea to sell beach front properties, it is not enough reason to stop mother nature form reclaiming the land.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Don't be so self centered. The earth was not born when you were born. Besides, how do you know that what we have now is the normal and any deviation from it is abnormal? Just because some real estate developers thought it is a good idea to sell beach front properties, it is not enough reason to stop mother nature form reclaiming the land.
My apologies if the term perception is difficult for you to comprehend. It means I'm stating an opinion, and it is mine alone, so I really don't care much what you think, or any of your excuses that go along with it. Should you have anything positive that may represent an argument please feel free to expound.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:40 PM

166 posts, read 243,899 times
The lifespan of a human is an indescribably small amount of time compared to the age of the earth.

There are so many variables in play its impossible to model any climate scales with any degree of accuracy. Sun activity is unpredictable, volcanic eruptions, changes in the jet stream, etc. We are one volcanic eruption away from not having a Summer on a global scale. How much would that throw off the averages over a 10, 25 or 50 year time?
Humans do have an effect on the planet no doubt. Over fishing, depletion of resources and pollution are all serious issues to be addressed.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:50 AM

986 posts, read 2,509,574 times
Default Yeah, sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
There is no point in denying an outright LIE.

So the sea level has risen since 1870. Can you tell me it hasnt risen before....ever.

Climate change. Oh wait, it was global warming until everyone was freezing last winter...is nothing more than BS.

Just look back when the eco-nazis were screaming about the BP oil spill in the Gulf...how it was going to be a disaster. And what happened? The Gulf microbes ate up the oil...no disaster.

We have to stop listening to so called scientists.....all they are looking for is more government funding so they can keep their jobs
You have no understanding of nature, just right-wing reactionary ideology.

All the common denier talking points are covered in great depth here:

Arguments from Global Warming Skeptics and what the science really says

Old 05-12-2014, 12:51 AM

986 posts, read 2,509,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
The lifespan of a human is an indescribably small amount of time compared to the age of the earth.

There are so many variables in play its impossible to model any climate scales with any degree of accuracy. Sun activity is unpredictable, volcanic eruptions, changes in the jet stream, etc. We are one volcanic eruption away from not having a Summer on a global scale. How much would that throw off the averages over a 10, 25 or 50 year time?
Humans do have an effect on the planet no doubt. Over fishing, depletion of resources and pollution are all serious issues to be addressed.
I always marvel at people who acknowledge other human impacts on nature but are blind to any ill effects of CO2. Ideology sure runs deep, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events