Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 08:55 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times

Advertisements

How to Be a Hipster: 28 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Article comes complete with do and don't and tips from fellow Hipsters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 AM

850 posts, read 1,026,234 times
Sorry but I don't click on wikiho or huffpo links. 28 steps! Sounds like a lot of work - and they say hipsters are lazy...

Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
I don't understand why people care. In a few years they will be making fun of some new trend.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 PM

What's the main difference between a Hipster and a Yuppie? Besides the generational gap?

Old 06-09-2014, 03:11 PM

36 posts, read 49,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
What's the main difference between a Hipster and a Yuppie? Besides the generational gap?
The yuppie pays for the same clothes at a local boutique for 10x the cost the hipster does?

Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
All those words and all that space. I could have saved it by summing up: "Be self-absorbed."

Old 06-12-2014, 02:51 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Take a look at the "guide" you posted...assuming you're already familiar with what a yuppie is (or is said to be), then the stereotypical differences should soon be clear. A yuppie (which, incidentally, is a term I don't hear used all that much anymore..."bourgeois" seems to have made a slight comeback for describing people who might also be called yuppies...might have to replace "yuppie" in the lexicon with "Yelpie", given the typical tendencies of the people who habitually use Yelp) is primarily concerned with attaining prestige and status, climbing the social ladder (thus situating himself squarely within the mainstream), while a hipster would consider himself altogether outside of the norm, "above" the mainstream in many/most hipster cases. (These are rough descriptions made all the rougher by the fact that I'm fairly certain many people you or I might refer to as a yuppie or a hipster would resist the classification).

Put it this way: a "yuppie" is a "frat boy" or sorority girl post-graduation...or at least 100x more likely to have once been one than a hipster is. Both groups are often derided for their vanity, but the hipster would at least make an effort to adopt a veneer of social consciousness, which might amount to nothing more than "Facebook activism"--ie, sanctimoniously sharing some Kony-style, "upworthy"-type cause on social media while never actually doing anything about it in reality.

So yeah, I read your article and found it pretty entertaining, as much for the idea of the fact that a seemingly earnest "how to be a hipster" guide exists as for the actual content (because I personally think the idea of creating a how-to guide for adopting a potentially radically different persona is kind of amusingly pathetic, but maybe, if nothing else, it'll help promote a little "hipster tolerance").

I have some hipster tendencies myself, as defined by this guide, anyway. Mostly the propensity to read books (which, although reading is in decline particularly in my age group (I'm 27), I don't think is an activity that "hipsters" can lay any special claim to), some of my taste in music, my sense of irony, and I guess my fashion by default. I've never been referred to as one, nor have I ever thought of myself as one. I think of myself as an individual. This past winter, an old friend told me she thought I would like it in Portland and/or Brooklyn, which I suppose might be considered an indirect way of calling someone a hipster, given that those two places have the reputation of being the hipster meccas of this country. It must be said that this person did/does not have the best track record for these sorts of assessments (although in this particular case she might be correct...I've been interested in Portland for a few years).

Hope some part of that answers your question, hah.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 AM

I really just posted the article because of the long-winded, instructional nature of it was so very anti-hipster, it IMHO is hilarious. It's so unlike them to want a website like this, and yet here it is... welcome to the mainstream kids...

Old 06-14-2014, 12:52 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
I really just posted the article because of the long-winded, instructional nature of it was so very anti-hipster, it IMHO is hilarious. It's so unlike them to want a website like this, and yet here it is... welcome to the mainstream kids...
Haha, correct, sir. I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the posts.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:10 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Lmao the irony in that "article" or whatever one should call it is astounding. And hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events