Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 PM

384 posts, read 349,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
.Reckless? IMO no but then i guess it depends on your definition of reckless,i dont believe every one who has an accident is driving recklessly.Imprudent might be a better term.
Not everyone who has an accident is reckless. But someone who is clearly driving in a manner that sacrifices safety is doing so recklessly.
Quote:

The duck womans penalty should be severe enough to send a clear message to her and other drivers that you dont stop in the middle of a highway unless its an absolute emergency that you have no control over. Consensus on local talk shows is long term license suspension and a stiff community service period, sending her to jail serves no purpose IMO as it was an unfortunate/tragic accident brought about by stupidity and not criminal intent
I agree that this woman should get the maximum penalty allowed by law for stopping on the highway. In the US (I know this is in Canada), there are fines , license suspension, and possibly points associated with such traffic violations. I would expect that she would get the maximum penalty. Yes, the accident was caused by the stupidity motorcyclists and they did not intend to murder themselves.... and I agree that it should not play a part in the penalty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how much leeway the Judges discretion may play in sentencing in this case or if there is any legal differences in the law here in Quebec but public sentiment i'm hearing on local talk shows is for harsh sentence but no jail time, as although she made a stupid move there was no criminal intent
and basically it was a tragic accident that her stupidity caused.
Let's be honest. The situation was caused by her stupidity. But the accident was caused by the stupidity and neglect of the riders.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
The problem with the "leave lots of extra room" logic is on most highways someone will fill that space by changing into your lane (while treating you like you're driving too slowly for leaving space even if you're traveling at the same speed as the vehicle ahead of you).

This is one of the complaints I hear from friends who drive trucks - they leave a safe space only to have some idiot in a car tuck in front of them.
When someone cuts in, you just make more space. On a highway, when I'm using cruise control, my car will do this automatically, and in a safe manner.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,375,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
Let's be honest. The situation was caused by her stupidity. But the accident was caused by the stupidity and neglect of the riders.
Youd think if the biker was driving in a reckless or abnormal manner the witnesses would have said something to that effect. We can debate this forever but IMO and from what i've read and the facts as i see them i assume the biker was driving at a normal distance behind the camper for normal driving conditions on that highway, obviously in this case he should have left himself more room but people dont normally drive these types of highways as if the vehicle in front of the vehicle you are following is stopped.

Lets be honest you dont like bikers..

Old 07-12-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
When someone cuts in, you just make more space. On a highway, when I'm using cruise control, my car will do this automatically, and in a safe manner.
Thats an interesting feature i've never heard of, a cruise control that automatically adjusts if a car pulls in front of you, my cruise has to be manually adjusted if you want its speed changed.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:27 AM

114 posts, read 72,909 times
This is very unfortunate. There are probably better way of managing such situations. See the link below.

Quote:
Traffic was brought to a standstill on Beltway 8 at 290 Thursday morning as drivers stopped to save the lives of 11 tiny ducklings roaming and wildly lost on the freeway.

Where traffic would usually speed by sometimes above 70 miles per hour, motorists slowed to a stop, at first noticing the dead body of the mother duck. Drivers then got out of their cars and started trying to round up the orphans."]Traffic was brought to a standstill on Beltway 8 at 290 Thursday morning as drivers stopped to save the lives of 11 tiny ducklings roaming and wildly lost on the freeway.

Where traffic would usually speed by sometimes above 70 miles per hour, motorists slowed to a stop, at first noticing the dead body of the mother duck. Drivers then got out of their cars and started trying to round up the orphans
Houstonians stop Beltway traffic to save 11 orphaned ducklings - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Youd think if the biker was driving in a reckless or abnormal manner the witnesses would have said something to that effect. We can debate this forever but IMO and from what i've read and the facts as i see them i assume the biker was driving at a normal distance behind the camper for normal driving conditions on that highway, obviously in this case he should have left himself more room but people dont normally drive these types of highways as if the vehicle in front of the vehicle you are following is stopped.
Everyone has their opinions. You just consider driving recklessly the norm. You're not alone, and a lot of deaths are caused as a result of it. Hopefully the one outcome of this example of reckless motorcyclists helps educate the general population about the dangers of following too closely.

There's always a possibility of stopped traffic ahead.
Quote:

Lets be honest you dont like bikers..
I guess this spells you out pretty well. You consider lying being honest. I'm in a motorcycle club and own 3 bikes. You're so quick to assume and lie.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Thats an interesting feature i've never heard of, a cruise control that automatically adjusts if a car pulls in front of you, my cruise has to be manually adjusted if you want its speed changed.
It's called adaptive cruise control. I don't know of a bike that has it. But it's commonly available on cars. It's a good way to mitigate your reckless behaviors on a highway.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Everyone has their opinions. You just consider driving recklessly the norm. You're not alone, and a lot of deaths are caused as a result of it. Hopefully the one outcome of this example of reckless motorcyclists helps educate the general population about the dangers of following too closely.

There's always a possibility of stopped traffic ahead.

I guess this spells you out pretty well. You consider lying being honest. I'm in a motorcycle club and own 3 bikes. You're so quick to assume and lie.

I've been a motorcyclist for the past 40 years and know full well what reckless driving is when i see it, its usually the young guys on hyperbikes that are the tailgaters screaming in and out of traffic like its their personal slalom course, not the mature guy on a Harley out with daughter on the back and wife following on another bike.No witnesses have commented on this guys driving being anything but normal for normal driving conditions,Obviously he was following too close in this case but when something unexpected happens on the road it doesnt automatically equate to reckless driving.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Heres a video of what i'd consider normal driving on a freeway/.

LOS ANGELES FREEWAY TRAFFIC - YouTube

By your logic GolfPro every one is driving recklessly..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events