Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
A friend of mines wife served to miss a deer went into a ditch, rolled her truck and broke her neck. She was thrown from the truck and laid in a corn field for hours before the next vehicle came along. It took her 2 years to recover fully.

She could of just hit the deer and then got the truck fixed!

I'm a dog lover and have no desire to hurt any animal for any reason, but if it's them or me. I'll take care of myself and my family first!
Deliberately hitting a deer is very dangerous business!
When hit a blow directly from the front of the car, an adult deer will most often fly through the windshield and kill the driver and/or any passengers in the front seat. With enough speed the deer can go all the way to the back seat, killing everyone in the car. It's the way their center of gravity is.

A very high pickup bay be tall enough to avoid the deer being thrown through the windshield, but running over the deer could be enough to cause such a vehicle, with it's high center of gravity, to go rolling at high speed.

There's no sure way of avoiding them, but the best, if time allows, is to head toward the hind end of the deer if possible, even if it means running off the roadway. IF there's enough time, this prevents the deer from reversing course, so there are slightly better odds of missing it, but if the deer is struck, this maneuver will cause the deer's collision to have a better chance of a glancing blow. The deer may go flying, but it possibly won't go through the windshield.

Any collision a person can walk away from after hitting a deer is a good collision. Bambi kills more people than any other critter in the United States. Airbags are useless when a 300 pound deer comes through the windshield, dead or still alive. A low speed strike straight on will break their legs, but is still enough to send them through the glass, and they can kill a car's occupants with their struggles if they are still able to struggle at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:42 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,024,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
It's called adaptive cruise control. I don't know of a bike that has it. But it's commonly available on cars. It's a good way to mitigate your reckless behaviors on a highway.
Driving on cruise control in dense traffic seems far riskier than a shorter distance between cars. On cruise control the average driver (even with the adaptive feature) is less alert to the need for rapid stops or acceleration for defensive measures.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Deliberately hitting a deer is very dangerous business!
When hit a blow directly from the front of the car, an adult deer will most often fly through the windshield and kill the driver and/or any passengers in the front seat. With enough speed the deer can go all the way to the back seat, killing everyone in the car.
I'm sorry, but this is just absolutely not even remotely close to being true. Is it something that can happen? Yes, it can. But something that "most often" happens when a car hits a deer? Not even remotely close. In fact, it's extremely rare. There are over a million car-deer collisions in the United States each year, and about 200 fatalities. I think the disparity between those two numbers speaks for itself.

What typically happens is the deer ricochets off into the ditch, flies right over the top of the car, or hits the windshield and then tumbles over the top. Living most of my life in Wisconsin and Minnesota, I've hit deer 3 times, and the last time did have to deliberately hit the deer because I had no time to maneuver. It's a difficult thing to force yourself to do, because deliberately running into a large animal at 70 MPH goes against every instinct, but it really is the best thing to do if you can keep your wits about you. The last time it happened, it blew up both the front of my car and the entire deer, but had I tried to swerve, I'd have probably rolled the car. It was the only choice to make under those circumstances.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
It's called adaptive cruise control. I don't know of a bike that has it. But it's commonly available on cars. It's a good way to mitigate your reckless behaviors on a highway.
IMO relying such a system is dangerous and reckless. I'm not a big fan of such electronic nanny devices that basically take control of the vehicle out of my hands and let a computer system decide how its going to be while the driver gets lulled to a state close to sleep.. One errant piece of paper/bird/mud/snow/rock blocking your ACC radar and your game is up
https://www.google.ca/#q=adaptive+cr...us&safe=active

An excerpt from one article.

Quote:
In practice, it works quite well 90% of the time. Unfortunately, because the beams shoot straight ahead in most vehicles they read a car going around a bend as "no car" and leap forward. This leads to people thinking their adaptive cruise control is broken and causing them to accelerate dangerously (usually around a curve)

Last edited by jambo101; 07-14-2014 at 02:30 AM..

Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
IMO relying such a system is dangerous and reckless. I'm not a big fan of such electronic nanny devices that basically take control of the vehicle out of my hands and let a computer system decide how its going to be while the driver gets lulled to a state close to sleep.. One errant piece of paper/bird/mud/snow/rock blocking your ACC radar and your game is up
https://www.google.ca/#q=adaptive+cr...us&safe=active

An excerpt from one article.
I'm guessing I won't be seeing you in the line for buying those self-driven Google cars... ...

Old 07-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I'm guessing I won't be seeing you in the line for buying those self-driven Google cars... ...
Not a chance i also think things like cars that back themselves into a parking space,rain sensing wipers,light sensitive headlights,backup cameras etc are designed for people who havent a clue about driving and want technology to make all the decisions,those people will love that self driving Google car.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:06 AM

384 posts, read 349,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
every one is driving recklessly..
I disagree with you completely. Not everyone drives recklessly. However, these motorcyclists are a good example of what happens when you do drive recklessly. I always take extra precaution when I'm on my bike because I know the risks are greater.

Old 07-20-2014, 02:34 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
While cruising down an interstate, I spied a bear running across, and into an 18-wheeler. SMACK. The bear rolled into my lane, and I swerved to miss the irate fur ball.
In the rear view mirror, I saw the bear get up, shake his head, and trundle off into the woods.
The 18-wheeler survived, too.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
I disagree with you completely. Not everyone drives recklessly. However, these motorcyclists are a good example of what happens when you do drive recklessly. I always take extra precaution when I'm on my bike because I know the risks are greater.
Seems like you are implying all bikers are reckless except you. I can just imagine your group on a run all leaving vast spaces between each other and religiously upholding the exact speed limit,

Old 12-26-2015, 08:33 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
She has appealed her sentence.

Prison on hold for woman who caused 2 deaths while trying to help ducks | CTV News

Could she possibly face more time if she loses the appeal or does it revert back to the original sentence? Ninety days in jail seems like nothing for being negligent in the deaths of two people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events