Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 03:46 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,589,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Here's a thought: Read the article before posting stupid nonsense.

He was traveling at the prevailing speed of traffic. While he was technically speeding, driving faster or slower than the prevailing speed of traffic is more dangerous than blind adherence to an arbitrary number on a sign. He ran into the stopped car because the vehicle in front of him swerved out of the way at the last second and he didn't have time to stop. He's clearly guilty of following too closely, but the court determined, rightfully so, that the car stopped IN THE MIDDLE OF A HIGHWAY contributed to the accident. You sound like a great driver (not).

I suspect that if the article hadn't mentioned he was on a motorcycle, some of you wouldn't be nearly so quick to blame him. Inflammatory phrases like "donor cycle" reveal you for the petty, hateful people you are.
Try getting out of speeding ticket with the argument that you were 'just following the prevailing traffic".

It won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's absolutely reckless. Just as reckless as speeding without leaving adequate distance in front of you to come to a stop. Two reckless behaviors caused this unfortunate incident. With the latter ultimately resulting in the unfortunate death of two people.
Absolutely correct. Both drivers have some measure of negligence and the only TRULY innocent party was the passenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Illegal and hazardous manner?

Do tell.

Keeping up with traffic is not illegal or hazardous

The victim is not to blame.

If it weren't for the duck lover - this wouldn't be an issue.

Put the blame where it's due, and it's not on the victim.

You don't get to pull your car off in the "fast lane" and up against the divider (where there is one) on 287 or 22 or Rt 1 or Rt 9…. to rescue some ducklings and blame everyone who crashes in to you for not seeing your car/ driving in a reckless manner.
Speeding is speeding. No, the motorcycle driver is NOT negligence free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 6 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,231,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Sure.

And I do not run into them. How does THAT work? Crazy, yeah I know, but that is just me.
I think you still don't get it. We aren't talking about just stopped at a light or something, you know with brakes lights on and the moron behind not paying attention.
Coming up on a car that is not moving and has nothing, no lights, popped hood, etc to indicate anything out of the ordinary is an entirely different situation. By the time you realize the problem it may be all you can do to slow your vehicle down to minimize the impact because there is not enough time or room to come to a complete stop, even without speeding or tailgating!

I also want to emphasize something that has been pointed out but seems to have been missed by some that while it is great to say 'keep your distance' it is not something that we can always do.
I hate tailgating and always do my best to keep a safe distance on the highways, but I do a lot of traveling and I can tell you that much of the time trying to keep back a safe distance is simply an invitation for some other driver to jockey over into that space in a strange attempt to 'get there faster'.
So even though I may try to keep at least three car lengths behind I frequently find some yahoo pulling over just in front of me, less than a car length ahead.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:05 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,550,866 times
I hope that if someone's car breaks down and they put their emergency signals on and someone is injured or killed behind them even though they took precautions to signal their problem would not be held liable. On some freeways where I live, the shoulders do not exist. You basically have to call 911 and have the cops get you off the road if your car breaks down. However stopping your car on a busy road to feed ducks is a very bad move.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,282,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Speeding is speeding. No, the motorcycle driver is NOT negligence free.

If not for the wanna be duckling saver the accident never would have happened.

She's the only one to blame in this instance.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,204,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
A video of that highway very near where the accident happened, things look normal enough, until .=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3FQTeN8jM
That's a good video. See how that driver was traveling at over 50mph and only had 2.5 cars worth of space between him and the car in front? This caused him to have to switch lanes because he couldn't stop in time. This is the kind of recklessness that gets people injured or killed.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You keep repeating this as a way to place blame on the motorcycle driver, but the reality is, none of us has any idea what was going on when this happened. It could be the motorcycle was an appropriate distance from the car. As DubbleT points out:

This is true. We also don't know if the motorcycle driver was unable to move into another lane by the time he realized he was approaching a stopped car because there were cars he may have hit.

This woman doesn't seem quite right, in my opinion. I know of NO 26-year old who would stop their car....on a highway.....in the passing lane....for any reason other than their car completely stopping due to a break down. To do so to try and gather up ducklings is something a flaky 16-year old might do, but not a 26-year old. To say this lacks common sense and knowledge about whatever Canada's rules of the road are, is a huge understatement.

And I hope those who are calling this a mistake live far from the roads traveled by me and my loved ones.
Like I mentioned earlier, we can only go off of what the investigation discovered. It is possible that the motorcyclist was the correct distance but wasn't paying attention to what's in front of him. Who knows.

If you're driving a safe distance, you don't need to move to another lane to avoid a hazard in front of you unless it came in sideways (like a deer or falling rock).

This woman's actions are either a horrible mistake or an intentional act to kill. Your assessment in thinking this is an intentional act to kill is absurd. This is merely a horrible mistake... most likely driven by lack of common sense.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - Nobody deserves jail time for being a dunce even though they caused a crash. 20% of the population would be in jail if we punished stupidity.

I ride a motorcycle in the spring and summer and always leave as much room as possible between me and the car in front. I expect the other drivers to do the unexpected. One of the factors I have to consider is my bike can stop in a lot shorter distance then most cars so I have to be careful not to get hit as I stop.
What's even more relevant is the fact that when I'm on my bike (which I've been enjoying a lot recently due to the abnormally warm weather around here), I can immediately feel when cars in front of me have slowed down or stopped. The lack of a draft is an immediate indicator... and you feel it before you can visually process what is going on in front of you. Every motorcyclist knows that this is an indicator to apply brakes.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
If not for the wanna be duckling saver the accident never would have happened.

She's the only one to blame in this instance.
If not for the reckless driving of the motorcyclist, the accident wouldn't have happened. With a little application of critical thinking, anyone can see that it was two negligent acts tat caused this accident. As a result, both actors are to blame. The woman who stopped is to blame for creating a hazard on the road. The motorcyclist is to blame for driving recklessly and endangering the welfare of his child and others on the road... and if he didn't serve such an unfortunate fate, perhaps manslaughter or murder.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,421,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I may try to keep at least three car lengths behind I frequently find some yahoo pulling over just in front of me, less than a car length ahead.
At the speed the biker was traveling he would have had to leave a 7-8 car length gap between him and the truck and trailer combo ahead of him,While that distance may look good on paper and may have saved his life in reality keeping that kind of distance between you and the vehicle ahead on a busy big city expressway is an unreasonable expectation.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:27 AM

15,556 posts, read 10,553,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think you still don't get it. We aren't talking about just stopped at a light or something, you know with brakes lights on and the moron behind not paying attention.
Coming up on a car that is not moving and has nothing, no lights, popped hood, etc to indicate anything out of the ordinary is an entirely different situation. By the time you realize the problem it may be all you can do to slow your vehicle down to minimize the impact because there is not enough time or room to come to a complete stop, even without speeding or tailgating!

I also want to emphasize something that has been pointed out but seems to have been missed by some that while it is great to say 'keep your distance' it is not something that we can always do.
I hate tailgating and always do my best to keep a safe distance on the highways, but I do a lot of traveling and I can tell you that much of the time trying to keep back a safe distance is simply an invitation for some other driver to jockey over into that space in a strange attempt to 'get there faster'.
So even though I may try to keep at least three car lengths behind I frequently find some yahoo pulling over just in front of me, less than a car length ahead.

On the highway, I prefer six car lengths. But yes, you can find yourself pinned in rather quickly. You can slow it down and/or change lanes, but you are still stuck riding blind for a bit. That's another reason I hate riding in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events