Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 11:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,244,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
What?? Coming to a dead stop in the passing lane of a highway isn't reckless? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Most reasonable people would know that stopping in the passing lane can easily cause death.
It's absolutely reckless. Just as reckless as speeding without leaving adequate distance in front of you to come to a stop. Two reckless behaviors caused this unfortunate incident. With the latter ultimately resulting in the unfortunate death of two people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 12:13 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,977,821 times
Quote:
What?? Coming to a dead stop in the passing lane of a highway isn't reckless? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Most reasonable people would know that stopping in the passing lane can easily cause death.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's absolutely reckless. Just as reckless as speeding without leaving adequate distance in front of you to come to a stop. Two reckless behaviors caused this unfortunate incident. With the latter ultimately resulting in the unfortunate death of two people.
Cali, please reread my post. I said that her act BY ITSELF is not likely to reasonably cause death. I never said what she did wasn't reckless, just that it wasn't intentional. I quoted NJ because he summed it up correctly. It was two acts that let to this ending in fatality. Remember that the father was doing 75 on a 55 mph road. That was the other circumstance that led to this fatality. Remember, her crimes had a maximum penalty of life in prison. The totality of the circumstances obviously led the judge to believe the she didn't deserve anywhere near life. Even the prosecutor only asked for a maximum of 9 months.
At the end of the day we aren't really in disagreement over her guilt, just the level of punishment she deserves.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 AM

19,913 posts, read 12,208,953 times
Quote:
I agree completely. This story infuriates me. That moronic woman caused two deaths from her dumb-ass decision!

Once, I was driving down a major route with three straight lanes and a raised divider separating the left-hand-turn lanes. Some idiot woman in front of me missed her chance at getting in the left turn lane. This imbecile decides to just stop in the left-most straight lane...with her turn signal on! I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting her. If I had glanced away, blinked, or something else, I'd have plowed into her. I swear, I was furious,and I could have killed that woman with my bear hands. and I could have killed that woman with my bear hands.

The stupid duck woman should be severely punished.
That is a lot of hostility.

Bears don't have hands.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 25 days ago)

16,150 posts, read 21,310,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

Really just how stupid do you have to be to run into a stopped car?

Real Question.
Have you ever actually run up on a stopped car while going at any speed? It's almost impossible to tell they aren't moving until you are practically on top of them. Not having any brake lights or hazard lights on makes it pretty difficult to tell from any distance that they are stopped.
Fortunately the few times I've had it happen I've managed to stop. My ex was not so lucky and by the time he realized something was wrong he wasn't able to come to a complete stop before rear ending the car some idiot left sitting in the middle of the road because it had broke down.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:36 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,311,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Bears don't have hands.

True story. LOL. What can I say? It's late here. Ha!

Old 12-27-2015, 12:36 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,298,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
While what she did was indeed stupid; UNINTENTIONAL stupidity should not warrant severe punishment. I think the 90 day jail sentence was fair. We have to look at her offense without the bias of "it cost two lives."

The act of stopping a car to help ducks cross the road (in the way she did) was not an act that could "reasonably and likely cause death" without contributing circumstances. For example, an individual speeding at 90 mph is an act that could "reasonably and likely cause death” without any other contributing circumstance. It is also common knowledge to anyone that going that fast could easily cause death. Therefore, most people would conclude that speeding that fast is an intentional and reckless act. What this lady did on the other hand wouldn't lead most people to conclude that it would likely cause death. Therefore, the level of punishment should not be as severe as a criminal act.
How do you look at what she did WITHOUT the end result?

The loss of two human lives and DUE to what she did.

What she did was not only reckless but screams stupid.

Of course stopping your car in the passing lane, intentionally, could cause issues and even death TO OTHERS.

She didn't stop her car where she did because her engine seized or she ran out of gas and couldn't get right…over to the shoulder….she stopped her car where she did for nasty/dirty frigging ducklings she wanted to round up and take home with her.

She shouldn't have to spend her life in prison for being stupid.

She already has to live with the fact that she's an idiot and due to her idiocy she caused the death of a father and daughter.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:44 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,311,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

Of course stopping your car in the passing lane, intentionally, could cause issues and even death TO OTHERS.

She didn't stop her car where she did because her engine seized or she ran out of gas and couldn't get right…over to the shoulder….she stopped her car where she did for nasty/dirty frigging ducklings she wanted to round up and take home with her.

She already has to live with the fact that she's an idiot and due to her idiocy she caused the death of a father and daughter.
That's not enough. Many convicted drunk drivers also have to live with the knowledge that they killed someone. They still get additional punishment.

Two people are dead because of her ridiculous decision.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
We all agree that what the woman did was moronic and was the trigger of this unfortunate accident. But we also acknowledge that there were multiple factors at play. The rider assumed responsibility by riding the bike in an illegal and hazardous manner. The risks associated with that reckless father were realized when another hazard was present on the road (the moronic lady). Ultimately, this lady is at fault for creating a hazard on the road and this victim is at fault for riding recklessly. Had the victim had simply followed the law and rode within safety constraints, he and his daughter would be alive today. There was no reason for him to take on such risk and assume there would be no hazards on the road. That assumption led to his unfortunate death.
Illegal and hazardous manner?

Do tell.

Keeping up with traffic is not illegal or hazardous.

The victim is not to blame.

If it weren't for the duck lover - this wouldn't be an issue.

Put the blame where it's due, and it's not on the victim.

You don't get to pull your car off in the "fast lane" and up against the divider (where there is one) on 287 or 22 or Rt 1 or Rt 9…. to rescue some ducklings and blame everyone who crashes in to you for not seeing your car/ driving in a reckless manner.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:55 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,977,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post

I was referring to looking at how negligent her act was in determining her sentence. A court can’t be emotional in determining a sentence. They have to be objective and carry out just punishment for an individual’s act. If you look at my next post you will see that even the prosecutor agreed that her sole actions (not the result of her actions) should only amount to a maximum of 9 months in jail.

If most people were only told "a lady caused the death of two people by her actions" and that was the only information given; almost everyone would say she deserves much more than 9 months in jail. But that would be an unfair sentence since looking at the situation as a whole; her actions don't fit the definition of something that should be punished severely. At the end of the day the judge agreed that her actions deserve even less punishment (3 months). I think that was fair punishment based on the totality of the circumstance.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
That's not enough. Many convicted drunk drivers also have to live with the knowledge that they killed someone. They still get additional punishment.

Two people are dead because of her ridiculous decision.
I don't disagree with you.

She's an idiot and blaming the victim is pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events