Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 04:19 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,226,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one NJ.
IMO the guy wasnt driving recklessly, He was out for an evening cruise with his family and was just driving with the flow of traffic. Also no witness has come forth to say he was driving recklessly.
I don't think the issue is really the speed of travel as it is the distance. If he was driving a safe distance he would have been able to come to a stop without hitting the car.

Around here in NJ, deer will often run out in front of cars. I've been in the situation where the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I had to safely slow down without flying off my bike or skidding out. Once a car hit a stalled truck in front of me, and I still was able to stop. If you can't keep your distance on a highway, you're just asking for trouble. That, IMO, is reckless.

But yes, we're just going to have to disagree on this one.

Happy holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 06:55 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,438,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
What?? Coming to a dead stop in the passing lane of a highway isn't reckless? I'm sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Most reasonable people would know that stopping in the passing lane can easily cause death.
She didn't just come to a dead stop. She put the car in park and got out. She used the freeway as a parking lot.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:09 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,561,147 times
One thing to note. The ducklings were not in the road. They were safely on the side of the road. However...

"Czornobaj, a self-professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings’ mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home."

Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,308,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
One thing to note. The ducklings were not in the road. They were safely on the side of the road. However...

"Czornobaj, a self-professed animal lover, told the court that she did not see the ducklings’ mother anywhere and planned to capture them and take them home."

Infuriating.

Old 12-27-2015, 08:07 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,464,302 times
A video of that highway very near where the accident happened, things look normal enough, until .=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3FQTeN8jM

Old 12-27-2015, 09:28 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,689,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think the issue is really the speed of travel as it is the distance. If he was driving a safe distance he would have been able to come to a stop without hitting the car.

Around here in NJ, deer will often run out in front of cars. I've been in the situation where the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and I had to safely slow down without flying off my bike or skidding out. Once a car hit a stalled truck in front of me, and I still was able to stop. If you can't keep your distance on a highway, you're just asking for trouble. That, IMO, is reckless.

Happy holidays!
You keep repeating this as a way to place blame on the motorcycle driver, but the reality is, none of us has any idea what was going on when this happened. It could be the motorcycle was an appropriate distance from the car. As DubbleT points out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Have you ever actually run up on a stopped car while going at any speed? It's almost impossible to tell they aren't moving until you are practically on top of them. Not having any brake lights or hazard lights on makes it pretty difficult to tell from any distance that they are stopped.
Fortunately the few times I've had it happen I've managed to stop. My ex was not so lucky and by the time he realized something was wrong he wasn't able to come to a complete stop before rear ending the car some idiot left sitting in the middle of the road because it had broke down.
This is true. We also don't know if the motorcycle driver was unable to move into another lane by the time he realized he was approaching a stopped car because there were cars he may have hit.

This woman doesn't seem quite right, in my opinion. I know of NO 26-year old who would stop their car....on a highway.....in the passing lane....for any reason other than their car completely stopping due to a break down. To do so to try and gather up ducklings is something a flaky 16-year old might do, but not a 26-year old. To say this lacks common sense and knowledge about whatever Canada's rules of the road are, is a huge understatement.

And I hope those who are calling this a mistake live far from the roads traveled by me and my loved ones.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
IMHO - Nobody deserves jail time for being a dunce even though they caused a crash. 20% of the population would be in jail if we punished stupidity.

I ride a motorcycle in the spring and summer and always leave as much room as possible between me and the car in front. I expect the other drivers to do the unexpected. One of the factors I have to consider is my bike can stop in a lot shorter distance then most cars so I have to be careful not to get hit as I stop.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,572,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Have you ever actually run up on a stopped car while going at any speed? It's almost impossible to tell they aren't moving until you are practically on top of them. Not having any brake lights or hazard lights on makes it pretty difficult to tell from any distance that they are stopped.
Fortunately the few times I've had it happen I've managed to stop. My ex was not so lucky and by the time he realized something was wrong he wasn't able to come to a complete stop before rear ending the car some idiot left sitting in the middle of the road because it had broke down.
Sure.

And I do not run into them. How does THAT work? Crazy, yeah I know, but that is just me.

And I have been hit -- from behind -- a few times. Once even while I was fully stopped (not a sudden stop) at a Red Light . . . which had been Red for a while.

And like I mentioned above, I have been hit by texters, as well, while the whole highway slowed and stopped during daily "rush hour" around Dallas.

If something fell off a truck in front of these folks . . . would they then be obliged to run into it?

This is just stupid.

The science of reaction time, roadway traction, tires, brakes, friction, and resulting stopping distance has been known for decades.

btw, my 1974 Motorcycle manual (yeah I read it) told me the discs brakes on my Kawasaki Motorcycle would not really work above 70 mph. The effectiveness fades severely.

If you would like some fun, or education, or whatever . . . here is an on-line calculator to show how far real stopping distances are. Plug some of the real numbers from this discussion, and you will see it is HUNDREDS of feet.

Do we need to put radar on the front of cars and bikes so we can stop before we run into each other?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:10 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,233,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Happy holidays!
Great post !! Drive defensively . The life you save may be your own.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:48 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,922,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7
Please update this when the judge decides the sentences. If you park your vehicle on the highway for any reason it is completely your fault what could or does happen, I'm not surprised at this outcome at all.
Ya totally stupid to leave her car IN THE ROAD!!!!!!

Its nice she wanted to help ducks but WHY LEAVE YOUR CAR IN A DANGEROUS PLACE??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events