Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 02:12 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,326,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Well then you and I have a different definition of "terminate" and/or "pregnancy."
Yes, yours is against the understanding of the educated world. They prevent conception, they do not terminate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:13 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,447,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
^^ Name one other big box retailer that is closed on Sunday. Good luck with that, btw.

Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday due to corporate religious beliefs, period. That is all well and good and, of course, their choice. However, their ability to impose their religious will on their workers who may not share these views needs to stop there.
every single retailer in Bergen County NJ is closed on Sundays.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM

15,017 posts, read 12,231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post

If nothing else I hope this brings us one step closer to severing the employer as healthcare provider relationship we've had in this country for far too long. We're one of a few nations that still uses this outdated and utterly redundant system where we are dependent upon our employers for our healthcare.

The only problem with that is that under the laws of Obamacare, businesses who employ more than 50 ( I think it is) employees are required to provide health insurance to their employees. And employees who have a healthcare plan available to them from their employers aren't eligible to obtain it from any of the ACA healthcare exchanges.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,215,489 times
This Graphic Sums Up Just How Messed Up The Hobby Lobby Ruling Is | Alternet

Old 07-02-2014, 02:19 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,978,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I don't say there's no life at conception, but I do say a woman has the right to make her own decision to terminate the pregnancy. Most people on the government dole watch Faux news.
According to the law of the land, a woman has that right. So be it and no argument but the shoes have to fit both feet. Getting pregnant is something a woman can control.

If a woman has the right to get an abortion, surely she has the right to keep her legs closed and avoid the entire situation to start with, doesn't she?

This isn't about the rights of women, it is about the rights of some people dictating to others how they spend money and resources. It can't be a complete free for all yet that is what is being argued on this thread.

There are alternatives to contraception. The problem, when you get right down to the nitty gritty is that the alternatives are what some people want, isn't that right?

There are always people who in dire need of water will complain about the water being offered in a cup instead of a glass. Drink the darn water.

If you really want contraception, pay for it yourself. What is so difficult about that? Nothing. If you can't afford it, then by all means, don't engage in the behavior that can lead to getting pregnant. Apparently that is too much to ask yet is it easy enough to ask and then demand everyone pay for the consequences of the pregnancy.

This isn't about women's rights. It is about what is and is not a right.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Don't confuse the issue with facts.
Don't worry, she didn't....

Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
In the interim, let's hope that's exactly what their workers do. However, that doesn't even begin to address the company's meddling in what is a personal and private matter. As a matter of fact, it's a severe violation of the HIPAA legislation enacted in 1996.

I just wish these right-winged "Christians" weren't so damned hypocritical. They don't seem to care that they are profiting off of child and sweat shop, slave labor given that 90% of the crap in that place comes from ****-hole factories in China. If you profess to care about humanity so much that you are willing to meddle in the sexual choice of your employees, the least you could do is buy all of your trinkets from reputable, fair trade vendors. In the end, it's all about the dollars, isn't it?
Actually, it has nothing to do with HIPAA legislation- these laws were about the patient's rights to privacy in regards to his/her medical information. This ruling has to do with who's paying for birth control, and who can't be forced to do so.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,530,401 times
Quote:
That sounds like a conveniently custom-designed definition. Pregnant literally means "before birth" (Latin) and is generally defined as the condition of carrying a developing offspring.

I don't mind debating opposing viewpoints, but such truth-stretching, or outright lying, is the quickest way to convince me you don't have a valid argument, so you have to start making sh*t up.

Come on, let's deal with truth here.
You are distorting and your definition is flawed. The American and British Medical Associations agree that an established pregnancy begins at implantation. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists defines conception as the implantation of a fertilized egg. Reliance on the Latin root of the word pregnant is nonsensical, as fertilization was not discovered until 1875.

Quote:
They MAY sometimes act in that way, but, depending on the timing of intercourse and ovulation, fertilization may very well have occurred prior to the taking of the morning after pill or the action of the IUD. When Mr. Sperm meets Ms. Egg, conception! Later, the m/a pill or IUD prevents long-term development of that microscopic life.

And while *i* have no moral qualms against such b/c, I understand why many people do.

I do have moral qualms against the kind of bullsh*t I've been reading since this SCOTUS decision.
Abortion has not been understood to mean preventing implantation. Defining it as such is an effort to move the goalposts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I imagine with their religious beliefs they'd advocate abstinence until such time as one can provide for a child. The feasability of this belief is in question, IMO, but that's another whole topic.

They aren't trying to prevent their employees from using the contraception of their own choice, they just don't believe they should be required to pay for free contraceptives against their religious beliefs.

And as they reportedly pay their employees fairly well and provide other benefits- also according to their religious/moral beliefs, perhaps those employees can afford to pay for their own contraception. They don't have to work for Hobby Lobby if they find that being responsible for their own contraception is an unacceptable hardship to them.
What they are trying to do is get an exemption from the law because of their religious beliefs. And the Supreme Court gave it to them.

Quote:
Well then you and I have a different definition of "terminate" and/or "pregnancy."
And your definitions conflicts with that of the American Medical Association and the British Medical Association.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM

4,629 posts, read 12,326,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
According to the law of the land, a woman has that right. So be it and no argument but the shoes have to fit both feet. Getting pregnant is something a woman can control.

If a woman has the right to get an abortion, surely she has the right to keep her legs closed and avoid the entire situation to start with, doesn't she?

This isn't about the rights of women, it is about the rights of some people dictating to others how they spend money and resources. It can't be a complete free for all yet that is what is being argued on this thread.

There are alternatives to contraception. The problem, when you get right down to the nitty gritty is that the alternatives are what some people want, isn't that right?

There are always people who in dire need of water will complain about the water being offered in a cup instead of a glass. Drink the darn water.

If you really want contraception, pay for it yourself. What is so difficult about that? Nothing. If you can't afford it, then by all means, don't engage in the behavior that can lead to getting pregnant. Apparently that is too much to ask yet is it easy enough to ask and then demand everyone pay for the consequences of the pregnancy.

This isn't about women's rights. It is about what is and is not a right.
So now you flip flop away from conception and abortion back to the thread topic? Interesting, and it is not the cost of birth control here. It is about corporations gaming the system using religion as a tool.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,745,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
So now you flip flop away from conception and abortion back to the thread topic? Interesting, and it is not the cost of birth control here. It is about corporations gaming the system using religion as a tool.
I should never have ventured into this section of City Data. I am now more afraid than ever for America's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events