Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,641 times

Advertisements

This woman should have been taken out back and promptly @#$%...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 07:11 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Who puts a 20 month old in the bathtub filled with water and "steps out for a few minutes"????????? That's after wrestling with him and stepping on his stomach? People like this are blights on the human race and should be eliminated from society. In cases like this, I'm all for the death penalty.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:01 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,809 times
Why not simply use chain gangs instead of capital punishment? Make the criminals pay for their room and board. Surely a lifetime of hard labor on a chain gang is a more severe punishment than a painless lethal injection, isn't it? And then we wouldn't need so many appeals. The judge would simply say, "back to work", and not have to spend months pondering the implications of capital punishment.

Besides that, the victim's friends and relatives could have picnics, where they could sit and watch the perp working on the chain gang. If they watch the execution, they only get a few minutes of "closure" but if they watch her on the chain gang, they can be satisfied forever.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
as i've said, i want to make a website that is called killernannys. a blog and have a question mark up there asking "WHO will be next?" showing past killer nannys and impi would openly implicate the parents (well the ones who are well to do) in loaning out their kids to random stranger's faces. i will never forget that ceo guy from 2012 or so from cbs or something. that hispanic lady killed his two kids as his wife was busy chasing a career.

I see. So it is the wife's fault for having a career that a crazy fool killed the kids. And it is the fault of well to do for seeking child care? Interesting theory.

Why wasn't it the father's fault for seeking out a career?

Why aren't poor people at fault for leaving their kids with sitters?

The truth is for most families two paychecks are needed and most parents don't have reliable family to help with childcare. and remember there have been plenty of parents and grandparents who have gone bonkers and killed children.

As much as possible every parent should do due diligence in vetting child care. Too many are forced to chose the cheapest or closest which might not always be the best. I'll bet you anything the crazy lady in the article had been abusing kids , her own included, for quite some time before this happened.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:57 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,325,215 times
Child care worker? Wow. I think it is too easy to become a nanny - qualifications are needed!
I remember a friend who needed a nanny for her son - some of the people she got to interview were obviously clueless, had no experience with children, all they wanted was a job. Scary!

Old 08-25-2014, 10:51 AM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
Besides which, "prison justice" is more aptly called "prison vigilantism." If a person is sentenced to a prison term, they're not sentenced to a prison term plus rape, or beatings, or murder. For citizens to rely on (or, as I've read at times, celebrate) so-called prison justice is a travesty.
No, to let a stone cold murderer go on reduced sentence and get out early because of "good behavior" is a travesty. To let a horrific murderer live a life funded by the taxpayers that includes social and medical services that hardworking families who obey the law struggle daily just to afford...that's a travesty.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,383,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
This a quite frankly a straw man excuse, given that we can easily trim down the appeal process so that there is not so many hand wringing appeal sessions. If the crime is horrific and the criminal is obvious, why the process? Just get it over with and close the case. Justice should be swift and decisive.

Yes, given the useless justice system, we now have to rely on the other criminals in the prisons to carry out true justice for society...which is pathetic to say the least. But I do have to let you know that prison justice doesn't happen all that often.
Yes, we could do that. But in those cases where the persons' guilt is not so cut & dried, you increase the risk of executing an innocent person. There have been cases in recent years where someone on death row was exonerated when new evidence (like DNA) proved somebody else committed the crime.
I don't have a problem with the death penalty in those cases where there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever of the persons guilt (in my area the Carr brothers come to mind). But our justice system isn't 100% perfect, and mistakes are going to be made. The appeals are the only way we have to try and make sure we don't put an innocent person to death. But I agree that there is abuse of that appeals process in some cases that drag on way too long. Other than doing away with the death penalty, I'm not sure what the answer is.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:44 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times
What if she'd used an AK-47 to kill the baby?

We should be talking about the mental health system, not the cost of the death penalty vs. life imprisonment or even the merits of the death penalty. Insane people don't care about that.

She was licensed by the State of New York to run a day care and she tortured a baby to death. How was she allowed to work with babies?

Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Why not simply use chain gangs instead of capital punishment? Make the criminals pay for their room and board. Surely a lifetime of hard labor on a chain gang is a more severe punishment than a painless lethal injection, isn't it? And then we wouldn't need so many appeals. The judge would simply say, "back to work", and not have to spend months pondering the implications of capital punishment.

Besides that, the victim's friends and relatives could have picnics, where they could sit and watch the perp working on the chain gang. If they watch the execution, they only get a few minutes of "closure" but if they watch her on the chain gang, they can be satisfied forever.
They don't do that anymore, since those kind of jobs competed with corporations who had influence over state politicians ...... the companies took the jobs and automated them for the most part.

There's no need for rocks to be broken down manually any more.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:22 PM

5,793 posts, read 5,113,361 times
"There have been cases in recent years where someone on death row was exonerated when new evidence (like DNA) proved somebody else committed the crime."....

So, use the DNA tests, then execute. What's the problem?

"There's no need for rocks to be broken down manually any more."...

Why not? There's a huge boulder in my neighbor's yard down the street....and we don't need to use machines just because they exist. What weird excuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events