Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 07:34 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/health/lay-off...308014352.html

I think the Dr. was being nice and letting her collect unemployment. She can of course get disability pay later. But this article seems to be demonizing the dr.

All that being said, just another reason it's so great we have obamacare. This low income person would be stuck with no insurance once she got fired.(assuming he even gave her enough hours to give her health insurance)

No job, no insurance! That's the way it USED to be BEFORE obamacare. Now she's covered under the affordable care act/medicaid extention.
Thank you Obama for bringing the U.S. into the modern world and providing universal healthcare. It's amazing people don't know how great this law is. People listen to right wing propaganda. Where are the death panels again? Obamacare is every bit as good/important a basic safety net as medicare(which the repubs also want to get rid of)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 07:41 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
That is one good thing about Obamacare.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Best wishes for her battle with cancer. She has a very tough road ahead.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:45 AM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I can't tell if the OP is deliberately trying to stir things with the Obamacare angle, being sarcastic/ironic, etc.

Anyways, if that was truly the doctor's original intent, then why did he not personally tell the lady in a private setting what he was doing?

The doctor simply gave her a note, a loyal employee of 12 years. Nowhere in the note did it mention that he was laying her off so she could collect unemployment.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:01 AM

621 posts, read 982,421 times
Some people wouldn't understand the benefits of ACA until they go bankrupt with unpaid healthcare bills or have to suffer due to denied care.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I posted about this in the Pittsburgh forum because he's a doctor in the Pittsburgh metro.

She won't qualify for unemployment during her cancer treatment. Unemployment requires you each week to attest that you are able and available for work. His stupid letter highlights that she has cancer. Unemployment will be alerted to make sure she's not lying about being able to work. I know people with cancer who lost unemployment battles.

He really screwed her. Since he let her go, she can't collect disability if it was available through her employer. That's a much more valuable benefit than unemployment. Plus you get to stay on your employer's group health insurance policy while on employer disability insurance.

Don't hold your breath about Social Security. Even expedited for her type of cancer, she won't live long enough to collect it. We're talking about a women who literally only has months to live. This was no way to treat her.

He'll lose more money from the bad publicity and patients boycotting him than he would have lost paying her salary for a few months.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:09 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/health/lay-off...308014352.html

I think the Dr. was being nice and letting her collect unemployment. She can of course get disability pay later. But this article seems to be demonizing the dr.

All that being said, just another reason it's so great we have obamacare. This low income person would be stuck with no insurance once she got fired.(assuming he even gave her enough hours to give her health insurance)

No job, no insurance! That's the way it USED to be BEFORE obamacare. Now she's covered under the affordable care act/medicaid extention.
Thank you Obama for bringing the U.S. into the modern world and providing universal healthcare. It's amazing people don't know how great this law is. People listen to right wing propaganda. Where are the death panels again? Obamacare is every bit as good/important a basic safety net as medicare(which the repubs also want to get rid of)

Your title is very misleading and that note should have never been posted to any sort of social media or forum.
From what I read she is being laid off because she will not be able to fulfill her duties properly while having ongoing cancer treatments.
I wonder if permission was given to whomever posted the note online to even post it.
All this unnecessary attention about something that should have been kept between the Doctor and his employee.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:18 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
From what I read she is being laid off because she will not be able to fulfill her duties properly while having ongoing cancer treatments.
Did you also read the part where the doctor claims he did it so she can collect unemployment?

People don't qualify for unemployment in my state if they are unable to work.

He screwed her.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:39 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
There was already Medicaid for people like her ;so nothing new there. The so called extension just cover more people at higher income. She can likely apply for disability also and in time be on Medicare.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
There is no mention of a severance package. I wonder if there was one ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events