Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:29 PM

372 posts, read 599,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The reason these people have been infected wearing PPE and/or hazmat suits is because of improper handling of the equipment when they are removing it.
This proves we are not at all prepared to deal with this if even these health workers fail to keep their own selves safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 03:35 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,652 times
This whole thing feels eerily similar to AIDS hysteria.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
How does their getting infected via wearing hazmat suits indicate it's not only transmitted via bodily fluids? Hazmat suits protect from airborne transmission too. Let's not fall over the edge of reality here. The reason these people have been infected wearing PPE and/or hazmat suits is because of improper handling of the equipment when they are removing it.
Maybe it could be that these people don't work with level 4 biohazards every day ?

Do you think the CDC lets just any health professional into their level 4 labs ?

No, the greater health community has been thrown into this with very little prep and training.
My sister is a nurse. She doesn't deal with level 4 biohazards every day like the CDC people do.
She said if ebola breaks out here she is quitting.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:03 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,479,051 times
It supposedly began in Africa in bats. What if there were mice in the Dallas apt. where the infected chap lived? Could they be infected?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:07 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Given how widespread the epidemic in West Africa has become, its spread beyond Africa was inevitable.

That doesn't change the fact that in order for the disease to spread it needs to sustain an R-Zero of >1. In the crowded slums of the cities in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, it is doing so for obvious reasons: wholly inadequate medical infrastructures, dysfunctional civil hygiene systems, and cultural practices anathema to the containment of the virus. But given that even the vastly inferior African medical infrastructure has managed to contain over 95% of historical Ebola outbreaks, you have to be a complete idiot to think that the medical infrastructures of Spain, U.S., etc., can not and will not do so.

PS - If you don't even know what R-Zero is, then educate yourself. For God's sake, shut off your TV and quit getting your information from those cable news shows - you're getting dumber by the minute.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Please tell us you're being sarcastic. You can't possibly be serious. Do you truly think the republicans created ebola just to win an election? The republicans are the ones who will get votes due to ebola. Nah, I know you don't believe it. That's why your post is so perplexing.
Anyone who thinks that Big Government actually operates for the protection of the foresighted and the responsible is fooling him/herself. Big Brother is enabled by the fears of the impressionable and the desire for unrealistic levels of security, That is the stock-in-trade of the Democrats and their captive clientele of ne'er-do-wells and favor-seekers. (And admittedly, what's left of the Republicans isn't far behind.)

Old 10-07-2014, 04:27 PM

893 posts, read 886,091 times
What is to prevent a terrorist from getting themselves infected and (this is going to be a bit graphic) going to say a Dallas Cowboys game with a bag of their own feces. Then wiping it with their hand all over stair rails throughout the stadium?

I guess if I were a suicidal terrorist, that's what I would consider. Yeah, it's gross but these folks don't exactly seem worried about "getting their hands dirty"....so to speak.

That was one of the first things I thought of when the idea of terrorism/Ebola came to mind.

That's pretty darned scary if you ask me

Old 10-07-2014, 04:29 PM

893 posts, read 886,091 times
I posted this in another thread. Not sure if something like this has been discussed or not but this scenario scares the crap out of me.

What is to prevent a terrorist from getting themselves infected and (this is going to be a bit graphic) going to say a Dallas Cowboys game with a bag of their own feces. Then wiping it with their hand all over stair rails throughout the stadium?

I guess if I were a suicidal terrorist, that's what I would consider. Yeah, it's gross but these folks don't exactly seem worried about "getting their hands dirty"....so to speak.

That was one of the first things I thought of when the idea of terrorism/Ebola came to mind.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I posted this in another thread. Not sure if something like this has been discussed or not but this scenario cares the crap out of me.

As long as they don't do it at a Saints game, I'm good.

Just kidding.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:37 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Suzy, check out this link too. I found it in the other reddit link.

RegardsFromDolan comments on Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain

It has links to pictures of the facilities in Spain. Two particular pictures show the interior of airplanes used to transport American ebola patients to the US and Spanish ebola patients to Spain. Lots of pictures showing transporters not wearing proper protective equipment. It's clear that Spain was not ready to handle this.

And there's 2,845 comments in this second link if you look at the top of the page on the left to access them.
Afraid to go there! That sounds like a black hole for computer time!

If the patient is isolated in a "cocoon" I suspect it is really not necessary for people who are not actually taking care of the patient to suit up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events