Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 11:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The delay between Duncan vomiting and the clean-up gave the virus plenty of time to die.
If it was still wet, it might not have died. Hopefully it had already died.

Quote:
Hazmat suits can be sprayed with disinfectant because they are self-contained. The gloves, suit, and head protection are all one unit.
I was talking about the virus being spread through the environment while they were spraying the hazmat suits. They were just standing right outside the apartment door on the sidewalk balcony. If it's true that spraying the monkey cages is what spread the virus to the monkeys in the control group, then their spraying down their hazmat suits could have spread the virus to neighboring doorknobs, etc., in that apartment complex. I wondered if there were any people nearby, and how far away was the camera person who took the picture. It was just an observation thought I'd share when a previous poster mentioned the spraying down of the sidewalks. I remembered the pictures (posted in previous post) of the hazmat suits being sprayed without the hazmat workers being in a contained area.

Last edited by Hopes; 10-07-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 11:45 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Presbyterian has a robot it uses for disinfectant, of course they can't use it while the patient is in the room. I'm sure it's still very helpful.

Ebola killing robot developed in San Antonio

Old 10-07-2014, 11:49 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
I found this scientific article about dogs and ebola but don't fully understand it. I've asked for help on another forum that has lots of posters with very advanced science knowledge and hopefully someone will provide a simple answer as to whether or not the dogs carry live virus for the rest of their lives or just antibodies to the virus. It seems unlikely that they would be asymptomatic hosts for life because I think we would have then seen ongoing outbreaks in the areas where the dogs lived.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

Over at FluTrackers someone answered my post and provided a link to this sad article about dogs digging up shallow graves:

http://www.pathogenperspectives.com/...burial-of.html

Last edited by zugor; 10-07-2014 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: add more info and another link to a post

Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 AM

390 posts, read 940,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Presbyterian has a robot it uses for disinfectant, of course they can't use it while the patient is in the room. I'm sure it's still very helpful.

Why not take this another step forward and use robots to treat the patient? This technology exists right now...doctors can operate robots with precision to perform operations while in the comfort of a safe location where there is little risk of infecting themselves.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:58 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you see the pictures? They were standing outside the apartment. Imagine the other people who live in the apartment building. They weren't wearing PPE while the hazmat team was spraying each other. The apartment building's exterior surroundings (sidewalks, walls, railings, doorknobs to neighboring apartments, etc.) weren't protected while the hazmat crew was spraying.
However, the risk from those surfaces is tiny. They were being sprayed with disinfectant. Hopefully the apartment dwellers were not close enough to actually be sprayed themselves. The virus needs a living host. It does not survive long in the environment, especially when exposed to sunlight.

Quote:
There is. I previously posted articles about the lower rates of infection in clinics decades ago where people weren't wearing full hazmat suits. I think hazmat suits are giving staff a sense of false security and not following protocol because it's more complicated to remove. I've read the pathogen safety data sheet on ebola, and a quick spraying with Clorox will not kill the virus. It needs to be more than 10 minutes.
People with hazmat suits are likely to be better trained.

Quote:
If it was still wet, it might not have died. Hopefully it had already died.
If I remember correctly, it had been there several days, exposed to sunlight.

Quote:
I was talking about the virus being spread through the environment while they were spraying the hazmat suits. They were just standing right outside the apartment door on the sidewalk balcony. If it's true that spraying the monkey cages is what spread the virus to the monkeys in the control group, then their spraying down their hazmat suits could have spread the virus to neighboring doorknobs, etc., in that apartment complex. It was just an observation thought I'd share when a previous poster mentioned the spraying down of the sidewalks. I remembered the pictures (posted in previous post) of the hazmat suits being sprayed without the hazmat workers being in a contained area.
I think it was cleaning the pigs' cages that is implicated. That aerosolized the virus, which pigs shed in large quantities from the lungs.

Casual exposure to environmental surfaces does not appear to be the way Ebola is spread. Touch it while the contamination is fresh, yes. Touch it after the surface has been sprayed with disinfectant and dried, not likely. Also, the volume of water used to clean those surfaces has an effect. We do not know if the area outside the apartment was further disinfected after the workers were washed.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

They are already using UV robots in Liberia.

TRU-D SmartUVC Disinfection Robots Continue To Aid In Ebola Crisis Mission In Liberia - News - TRU-D SmartUVC Room Disinfection

Old 10-07-2014, 12:07 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,491,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is good news!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Quote:
I think it was cleaning the pigs' cages that is implicated. That aerosolized the virus, which pigs shed in large quantities from the lungs.
There was the pigs to monkeys experiment, but there was a monkeys to monkeys study too. Maybe the pigs to monkeys experiment was the one with the sprayed water cleaning the cages. I previously read a month ago about the monkey to monkey experiment. They were perplexed about the monkey to monkey transmission. I remember telling my son that it probably occurred via cleaning the cages. The article didn't say anything about it, but that was the explanation that came to my mind as an alternative to it being airborne. I'll try to find an article about the monkey to monkey experiment and post it here.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
These health workers are not getting infected on the job, they are getting infected removing their PPE because it is contaminated and there is no foolproof, practical way to remove it safely!
H
There is definitely a way to remove it safely. It's not foolproof because humans are fallible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I found this scientific article about dogs and ebola but don't fully understand it. I've asked for help on another forum that has lots of posters with very advanced science knowledge and hopefully someone will provide a simple answer as to whether or not the dogs carry live virus for the rest of their lives or just antibodies to the virus. It seems unlikely that they would be asymptomatic hosts for life because I think we would have then seen ongoing outbreaks in the areas where the dogs lived.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf
What they found was that dogs made antibodies to the Ebola virus. Those are the immune system defenders that respond to infectious organisms and destroy them. The presence of measurable antibodies means the animals at some time had Ebola virus in their bodies. The type of antibody can sometimes give a clue as to how recent the infection was. The dogs had been observed eating animals that died from Ebola, so that is most likely how they got it and that observation triggered the study.

Then they looked for the virus itself. There are various tests that can be done to see if actual viral particles are present, living or dead. Those tests look for viral RNA. If it is found, you do not know whether the virus is "live" - able to reproduce itself. If you find genetic material from the virus, then you try to grow it in the lab. In the dog study, they found only antibodies, not any evidence of actual viral particles.

So the dogs had been infected at some point but were no longer carrying Ebola virus.

The conclusion is that dogs are not asymptomatic carriers, i.e. vectors, for Ebola.

The authors made the observation that testing dogs in a community might be a way to monitor for Ebola virus activity even in areas where there is no known outbreak. People in such areas could be warned that risk of infection was present and to avoid bushmeat and fruit that might be contaminated by bats.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Here's an interesting reddit link with locals in Spain sharing information about the situation there.

Nurse 'infected with Ebola' in Spain : ebola

I found it while trying to find out if she actually went on vacation when she went "on holiday" the day after the priest died.

Great link. Gotta go recharge the rep wand ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events