Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 01:02 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In other articles about specific incidences, the speculation is they had small cuts on their hands and cracks in the gloves. I just read an article where they traced it to a UK surgeon because they had samples of the surgeon's blood and the strain of Hep was an exact match in at least two of his patients. The blood samples proved he had it since at least 1993. I'll look for the article again and share it with you.

I just realized the article was about Canada. I don't know the policy in the US. I'll look tomorrow. But there are articles about individual incidents. I think US has more cases than the CA based on what I saw in the various news articles that came up in my search.

Do you really think the medical staff is at greater risk? Do you really think latex gloves are only to protect the staff from the patients? Didn't it ever occur to you that it's also to protect patients from becoming infected by something the staff might have? I think the patients and staff are at equal risk.

If you've worked at a hospital, I'm a bit shocked you asked the questions. Hospitals are the germ ridden places, especially the floors. My mother taught me that when I was very young. My sister's husband went to nursing school between their 2nd and 3rd child. When that third child was born, my sister was terrified of the hospital because of what she had learned from her husband. I went to the store and bought supplies and disinfected her room and bathroom. It really was visibly disgusting. She wasn't just being paranoid.

Hospital Rooms Crawling With Drug-Resistant Germs: Study - US News

This validates what I've witnessed throughout my many years of going to hospitals:

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
I asked these questions, because I have personally swabbed and grown more bacteria in our lab than I can count on surfaces of grocery stores, elementry schools, and other public places. I don't percieve a greater risk of contracting an infection from my place of employment, than from picking my kid up from school with the 500+ students whom the majority do not practice proper hygeine, or from heading to the local grocery store that also happens to have a pharmacy inside less than 20 yards from the meat department, as well as a clinic to treat sick people.
Walmart has claimed a desire to be the largest single healthcare provider in the country. People are worried about hospitals, what about all the people heading into your local store hacking up a lung in search for over the counter self remedies. or getting their flu vaccines, or seeing their Primary care physician
At least in hospitals there are specific infection control processes put in to place.

what exactly makes the floor of a hospital contain more germs than any other floor?

and yes, the medical staff is at far higher risk of contracting something than the patient.

Last edited by enigmadsm; 10-08-2014 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 06:23 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
You probably pick up bacteria just on the trip from the sink to the special light. It's impossible to get a completely sterile environment. I've never thought about the scrubs being worn outside the hospital. Shouldn't they change into that at work?
Wearing scrubs outside of the hospital is a pet peeve of mine.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Wearing scrubs outside of the hospital is a pet peeve of mine.
Yes, mine too.

I look at them like they're a walking germ factory and I've always felt that way.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:03 AM

893 posts, read 885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If someone is determined enough to commit mass murder in this country there are probably many more direct ways to accomplish that end. Bombs and guns are examples.

I suspect that someone attempting to bring a bag of excrement into the USA would be stopped by customs. In order to get that sort of thing, they'd have to make a trip to Liberia or Sierra Leone. They'd have to find a sick person. They'd have to bag and preserve his waste. Than they'd have to make it out of the country through customs in that country and than through customs in the USA. All this assumes that they wouldn't get so sick they couldn't travel or be detected.

If they did somehow make it here and do all the things you suggest there is no guarantee the virus would still be alive by than or that people coming into contact with it would get sick.

You might take a look at this.

ISIS: We Will Infect the U.S. With Ebola

Farfetched.....Now back to the Tom Clancy novels.
You misunderstood. I am not talking about taking someone elses excrement and sneaking in. I am talking about an infected person coming here and then bagging own excrement.

Your bomb example has obviously been tried but not quite as realistic for mass death these days. Besides, it likely takes multiple accomplices which increasethe chances for failure.

Mock all you want but on 9/10/01 you would have mocked if you were told 3 planes would fly i to buildings and the WTC towers would collapse.

Wake up.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:10 AM

893 posts, read 885,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Comparing health statistics between countries is dangerous. The skeptic in me suspects Indian hospitals do not track infections the same way American hospitals do. And many of the infections acquired in hospitals are due to organisms that rode to the hospital with the patient they infect.

By the time the virus shows up in the stool the victim is too sick to walk, so I think your scenario is unlikely. Could someone else carry it? Sure. Still unlikely.

Ebola does not make a good bioweapon. Too much chance of wiping out your own side with it.

I think the Cowboys and the Saints are safe.
What about other bodily fluids? Saliva? Blood?

I guess i dont see how this couldnt be a real threat.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
You misunderstood. I am not talking about taking someone elses excrement and sneaking in. I am talking about an infected person coming here and then bagging own excrement.

Your bomb example has obviously been tried but not quite as realistic for mass death these days. Besides, it likely takes multiple accomplices which increasethe chances for failure.

Mock all you want but on 9/10/01 you would have mocked if you were told 3 planes would fly i to buildings and the WTC towers would collapse.

Wake up.
This has been explained too. Apparently its not sinking in. First of all, that person would have a fever. They'd be identified passing through either Customs in Liberia or in the United States. Once fever was detected, the person would be put in isolation or at a minimum kept away from others.

There is a good chance the person would be so sick they would die before they could carry out any plans at all.

I find your statement about 9/11 unimpressive. People also made statements about terrorists poisoning the water supply for cities or building an atomic weapon. Those things didn't happen. What we do know about terrorists is that they typically tend to explode bombs. I don't live my life conjuring up fantasy scenarios about what terrorists can and cannot do. If I lived like that I probably wouldn't be able to work and raise a family.

Its not unreasonable to ask these kinds of questions. However, I find people who continually dwell on these sorts of things to be a bit unhinged.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
My hope is we will be able to contain it here in America and Europe, but i think Africa is going to be hit very hard, and it could spread to the middle east.
Watched a BBC story this morning from Liberia, a car pulls up to an Ebola clinic with 4 people in it the man in the passenger side front seat is shirtless and sweating profusely his bloodshot eyes are a sure sign of Ebola, but the clinic is full so he is sent back home in the same car with the 3 soon to be infected relatives, The sick man dies the next morning. Africa is screwed!

bill
Guess you didn't know that's how our wonderful Patient Zero, Thomas Duncan, probably contracted Ebola. He helped a friend take his daughter to the hospital, but the hospital turned her away and he helped carry the seven-month pregnant woman into the residence. I can't recall how many of the people who were around the woman have since died, but Duncan was "lucky" that he already had his ticket out of there, though I doubt his family in America or the City of Dallas, or the federal government feels very lucky. Most certainly Dallas Presbyterian Hospital feels very unlucky now.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm not worried. The end.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:23 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
There are new protocol's in place for EMT's such as wrapping the inside of the ambulance with plastic sheeting.
911 operators will now ask callers if they've been to Africa etc.

They seem to be taking this threat very seriously... which is kinda scary.

U.S. hospitals expand efforts to prepare for Ebola - CBS News

Old 10-08-2014, 08:35 AM

653 posts, read 816,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Not to worry my friends....the POTUS has got it all under control.
I really hope that is sarcasm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events