Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Why is this Obama's fault?
Obama is from Africa... Ebola is from Africa... Obama just wants to make the US more like his birth place.

Soon he'll be releasing lions into the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This Spanish priest does not look black to me.
Jesse Jackson and John Wiley Price don't care about them.
They only care that Duncan was Black and is now dead while the 2 White doctors lived.

Jesse Jackson, Dallas lawmaker blame racism for Ebola patient's death - Washington Times
Dallas County Commissioner John Wiley Price and the Rev. Jesse Jackson Sr. have made similar arguments this week that Thomas Duncan, the first patient diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, died because his race and lack of “privilege” kept him from receiving the care he needed.

“It is historical what has happened in this community,” said Mr. Price, who is black. “If a person who looks like me shows up without any insurance, they don’t get the same treatment.”

Old 10-09-2014, 02:41 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In my state, it doesn't have to be pro bono because lawyers take their cut after there is an award or settlement. The person suing doesn't need money to file. Not sure if Texas is different in that regard.
That's called contingency, not pro bono.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,334 times
Years ago I used to have discussions with a friend about if the time came... several times I stated that it would be interesting to experience what a complete breakdown of civilization would be like -- but I'd never want to live through it. I have no doubt that regardless of how "modern" and "advanced" we become, when our society faces a truly serious crisis, even in the west the worst of human nature will shine through. Of course I'm not alone in this - it's the theme of many a movie, and we've seen inklings of what it will be like eg. post-Katrina. I've never understood "survivalists" -- why would you want to survive something catastrophic and go back to living in the stone age?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:47 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's called contingency, not pro bono.
I didn't say it was called pro bono.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S. View Post
Years ago I used to have discussions with a friend about if the time came... several times I stated that it would be interesting to experience what a complete breakdown of civilization would be like -- but I'd never want to live through it. I have no doubt that regardless of how "modern" and "advanced" we become, when our society faces a truly serious crisis, even in the west the worst of human nature will shine through. Of course I'm not alone in this - it's the theme of many a movie, and we've seen inklings of what it will be like eg. post-Katrina. I've never understood "survivalists" -- why would you want to survive something catastrophic and go back to living in the stone age?
It wouldn't be the stone age. We have too much knowledge about things like fire, metal, the wheel, etc..

It depends on the type of catastrophe, but it could be more like the pioneer days for something that just wipes out people and doesn't affect vegetation, animals, weather, etc.. You have to have some type of survival instinct to at least stick around to see how it plays out. It would be a shame if you tossed in your cards thinking it was the end of the world when it was just a minor glitch and the majority of people survived without any long term hardship.

Of course, I don't think ebola is going to cause this level of a catastrophe, but I had to respond to your stone ages comment because that's an over exaggeration due to our simply having knowledge that humans didn't have in the stone ages.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Meantime, state health officials said a Texas sheriff's deputy who was transported to the Dallas hospital Wednesday as a possible Ebola patient does not have the deadly virus. Conclusive tests Thursday ruled out Ebola for Dallas County Sgt. Michael Monnig, state Health Commissioner David Lakey said.
I bet at least half the participants of this thread are disappointed at this news.

Now they can't bleat "I TOLD YOU SO!" and they lose the chance to blame the government/society/foreigners/etc. for this.

But queue up the "I DON'T BELIEVE THIS!" conspiracy theorists in three-two-one...

Old 10-09-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You played with a troll.
Someone needs to play with them or they remain feral.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:10 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
My previous post was in response to the longish post by Leisesturm, which included "The absolute Holy Grail of Big Pharma is a product that will allow an HIV infected mother to give birth to an uninfected child. If and when that happy day ever occurs all future research and funding of HIV/AIDS related pharmocopia will end."

Followed by what I see as a lot of conspiracy ideas and some ranting and raving. But that's just my humble opinion.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:18 PM

23 posts, read 36,288 times
The article linked above doesn't like that some people might care more for animals than people. I hear this all the time. But I have a right to care about what I choose. So many programs and help and rights for humans. Animals still have very few
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events