Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 04:37 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,381,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
She was too damned preoccupied about planning her her stupid, upcoming wedding to worry about exposing people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It just occurred to me that her nursing license might get revoked over this. Then again, they might need nurses who are ebola survivors.
Assuming she survives for either of these things to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Here's another link to an article about the transport of Ebola patients. Interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/15/wo...html?ref=world

"A 25-bed treatment center that the American military is building in Liberia to treat health workers could help relieve some of the strain. While visiting an Ebola treatment unit run by International Medical Corps in Liberia, Gen. Darryl A. Williams, commander of United States Army soldiers operating in Africa, said his forces had no general mandate to evacuate American medical workers who become infected. But he added, “If conditions warrant, we’re not going to turn our back."

"At a World Bank conference on Friday in Washington, Europe’s senior official for humanitarian aid, Kristalina Georgieva, acknowledged that medical evacuation was an issue that “we have struggled with for quite some time,” expressing frustration over stalled efforts to get governments to work out a shared service. “When you are desperate, turn to the private sector; they will come up with a solution for you,” she said, apparently referring to Medic’Air. “Finally, we have a solution. We have a contract.”

Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,690,013 times
Given Texas Health Presbyterian's track record during this health crisis, with allegations of ineptness, I think we should all be grateful that the second nurse will be treated elsewhere, at Emory.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
People don't trust the CDC and rightfully so - because this entire time, they've been giving out misleading, overly arrogant statements to prevent panic, most of which have proven to be false. They were sure it wouldn't get to America because you couldn't travel sick - it did. They were sure we can handle it in any hospital here and transmission wouldn't be a risk in a first world hospital - total and utter joke. Meanwhile, they have taken no real steps to prevent spread, new cases, or even to prepare and educate hospitals. I'll repeat, it's eerily similar to not having enough lifeboats on the Titanic because it would never sink - utter blown-up arrogance with nothing to back it up.

You think people holing up indoors will harm the economy? Well, people WILL hole up if the disease continues to spread. So what's best for the economy? Oh I know - how about preventing new cases??? Hmm, that was a hum-dinger.

You go right ahead and send your kids to that daycare - but you'll be in the vast minority and you know it. Most people are afraid enough for their kids that they will take every precaution - even if they prove to be unnecessary. Always better than the other way around.

I would gain some respect for the CDC if right now, they stood up and said "we're taking this seriously. Here is exactly what we're doing to stop this right here". And then outlined a concrete plan that made sense. Instead, they're doing zilch, except trying to calm the public. That is going to have the exact opposite effect.
^^^^EXCELLENT POST! I can't rep you right now, but I just wanted to second what you're saying. I don't know why this stuff seems so hard to understand. The Administration needs to stop being reactive and be proactive instead. Outline a plan and implement it. Don't come out every day and say what you did wrong and how you're going to deal with it in the future, and then back pedal on that too. Where are all the great minds that could get together to come up with something, anything better than what we're getting from the CDC?

The CDC is all we have right now because the congress and president are all worried about the effects of this on their stupid elections. I would like for them to stop running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Stop, breathe, and think! Then, announce it and implement it. Perhaps these other people on voluntary quarantine ought to be monitored more closely, and at least told what the quarantine means. If a doctor cannot figure out what it means then we can't expect a nurse to know. I feel like people are vilifying the nurses here when they were just following the protocols in place and believing the line of BS that Ebola couldn't become the problem here like it has been in Africa.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 PM

23,603 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
ONE infection turned into 10,000 in west africa. How are you not seeing it?
ONE infection in December 2013 is what caused THREE now here in the US (2 contracting it here, and 1 bringing it here)

you're right, we aren't at an outbreak, I may debate that though and say we aren't at an epidemic... but Ebola has been considered to have an R0 value of 2. Well, it sure did its job here. It infected 2 more people...despite the CDC claiming they had a handle on things. Those 2 could turn into 4, and then 8, etc.

WILL that happen? I don't know...but we aren't off to the greatest start.

This location in Africa NEVER had an ebola outbreak before this one...this isn't the same old same old places that typically experience clusters of it every few years. Its the first time its been in the cities. Surely we have better healthcare than those regions, but its a great example at the potential that is there.
Agree. And to add to it ..
The first case happened in Dec, 2013 .. the subsequent cases were in the low numbers (single, double and triple digits) for months. Until suddenly about a month and a half to two months ago the numbers soared into the thousands. Now they are looking at about 1,000 new cases per week, and possibly growing to 10,000 new cases within the next couple of months.

Also, the number of infected/deaths could possibly be 2.4 higher than what the CDC claims. The CDC does not count anyone that they, or the Ministries of Health, has not seen with their own eyes.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Absolutely. When she saw her temp rise, she should have called the CDC from Cleveland instead of getting on the plane.
She wanted to be home before facing the thing head on. Look, I'm not defending her any more. Now that I know the truth I am as disappointed, angry and upset as anyone else. But... I'm not understanding why Duncan was defended by anyone at all? From what we know, this nurse likely has not infected anyone. Odds are very good, that she won't be seriously infectious for many more days. The airline knows this and they are not going to let a little public paranoia stand in the way of getting a few more flights out of the airplane she used. The overreaction on the ground vis-a-vis the property destruction wreaked on the possessions of confirmed cases is because Hazmat companies are making money off the panic and fear. They would love to be able to tear down the residences of secondary and tertiary contacts as well without even waiting for a positive diagnosis. Follow the money.

There will be (are already) inevitable comparisons between the exemplary behavior of the Asian woman vs the African American one. What can I say? Guilty as charged? Go ahead. Wallow in the self-righteousness of it all. Asians have been rewarded for their integrity and encouraged to assimilate. Blacks have not. Wanting blacks to act more like everyone else will never happen as long as everyone else keeps treating black people like black people. Here's the hard part. Y'all have to go first!! I'm serious. Hoping, wanting, expecting, demanding that black people today, step up and start acting middle class American and uphold the values of honesty, integrity and work ethic that make America great requires that blacks are unconditionally given the same respect and opportunity that Asians to name one recieve. They didn't earn it any more than the Irish or Italians earned it. It was given and then the desire to get even more respect followed from that.

And all that said, there are white nurses from less educated backgrounds who muddle through a nursing course and fall into a job because the Allied Health field is wide open in some markets. They would have been no more forthcoming than the one now in the hot seat. It is more about Class than race, but in America, Class and Race are mostly conflated. So I needed to defend my race first and then acknowledge the truth that in reality it is not really about race. It really isn't.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Given Texas Health Presbyterian's track record during this health crisis, with allegations of ineptness, I think we should all be grateful that the second nurse will be treated elsewhere, at Emory.
The first nurse should be transported to Emory and this second nurse should be treated at Texas Health Presbyterian.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There will be (are already) inevitable comparisons between the exemplary behavior of the Asian woman vs the African American one. What can I say? Guilty as charged? Go ahead. Wallow in the self-righteousness of it all. Asians have been rewarded for their integrity and encouraged to assimilate. Blacks have not. Wanting blacks to act more like everyone else will never happen as long as everyone else keeps treating black people like black people. Here's the hard part. Y'all have to go first!! I'm serious. Hoping, wanting, expecting, demanding that black people today, step up and start acting middle class American and uphold the values of honesty, integrity and work ethic that make America great requires that blacks are unconditionally given the same respect and opportunity that Asians to name one recieve. They didn't earn it any more than the Irish or Italians earned it. It was given and then the desire to get even more respect followed from that.

And all that said, there are white nurses from less educated backgrounds who muddle through a nursing course and fall into a job because the Allied Health field is wide open in some markets. They would have been no more forthcoming than the one now in the hot seat. It is more about Class than race, but in America, Class and Race are mostly conflated. So I needed to defend my race first and then acknowledge the truth that in reality it is not really about race. It really isn't.
OMG! You shouldn't have written paragraph after paragraph about race if you truly believe this isn't about race.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:51 PM

483 posts, read 854,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I feel like people are vilifying the nurses here when they were just following the protocols in place and believing the line of BS that Ebola couldn't become the problem here like it has been in Africa.
Honestly, I don't even know what to believe because I watched the other night a CNN reporter interviewing the first nurses' friend that used to work with her. Apparently the first nurse used the appropriate PPE so I don't know where the story is coming from that she didn't. I am also assuming that the patient was on CRRT not hemodialysis since he was hemodynamically unstable, in that case, she would be constantly in and out of the room and in and out of the PPE where the mistake could've easily been made numerous amounts of times. It will be a major challenge taking care of the really sick Ebola patient because of the constant putting on and taking off the PPE. Man, I am praying we don't get an ebola patient where I work.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
If I was the first nurse, I'd be furious the second nurse is getting flown to Atlanta. Why does the second nurse deserve better treatment? The first nurse didn't break the law.
What do you think her chances for survival are at Texas Presbyterian. I'm serious. You can tell me, I'm just a userid on the Internet. Do you think her odds are great there? Nina on the other hand, they are going to bust a nut to get her well. A lot used to be made about the je ne sai croix... that unexplainable something that pulls people through difficult illnesses. The doctors alone can't give it, but when they are the only contact the patient has. They damn well better. And usually can. I wonder what the bedside manner was for ol' Thomas? Gawd... the emotional temperature in that isolation ward must have been minus 20. I'm not all that shocked that he didn't make it. No... flying her away is likely the best thing. I doubt she'll have the warmest reception at Emory but they have a little more emotional distance. But I still think they should both be given the benefit of Emory's better track record. I said that early this morning before I new any of the details I know now.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events