Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
He KNEW he was in Liberia with people who had ebola. Some of these people died. I read a report where he was physically touching an infected person, then he just randomly flies to the US and gets a random stomachache. Had I known I was possibly infected with this, I would have immediately volunteered that I was around ebola patients, was experiencing onset of ebola, and demanded I be quarantined.
Maybe he is a terrorist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 08:21 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
They say it's hard to spread but yet we have massive outbreaks of stomach virus here every year. They think we're stupid enough to believe this crap.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Knowingly? How did he knowingly expose himself? Do tell.
I didn't say that he knowingly exposed himself. I said that he KNOWINGLY exposed others to a great risk. He knew he had a very high chance of carrying and coming down with Ebola and yet he moved in with his girlfriend and her five children - FIVE CHILDREN.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? Do tell.

If I thought I'd had any exposure at all to the Ebola virus, do you think for a minute I'd let my family - or anyone else for that matter - around me? Heck no. I'd call the hospital and tell them my situation and the fact that I'd been in very close contact with TWO PEOPLE WHO HAD RECENTLY DIED OF EBOLA. That's pretty damn pertinent information.

Not only did he withhold this information, before and after he became symptomatic, he interacted with other people till he was finally carted off in an ambulance.

I wonder if he told his girlfriend and their families about his recent adventures in a taxi with two people who were now dead, before or after he showed up on their doorstep for a friendly little visit? I'd like to know that. What I do know is that as he was reeling around outside the apartment complex, spewing Ebola laden vomit all over the place, his family was screaming and crying and the scene was chaos, according to eye witnesses.

What a mess.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Maybe he is a terrorist.
More like a fool

Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,566,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
'

How did he "do nothing?"

He knew he had been exposed with probably deadly results. He and two other people had taken a very sick Ebola patient to a hospital. She died, and one of the other men helping her died as well. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that he had a very high chance of carrying the virus and coming down with it.

So knowing this, he hightailed it out of Liberia, on several international flights, for a friendly little "visit" with his girlfriend, her FIVE KIDS, and their extended family, in a crowded Dallas apartment complex, in a huge metro area. He walked around for days with this virus, even after he went to the hospital the first time.

Not only that, but he NEGLECTED TO TELL THE HOSPITAL STAFF that he'd been in close proximity to two Ebola patients who were now dead, within the past two weeks. Pretty big fact to leave out.

After leaving the hospital the first time, he went BACK into the apartment complex around the family and those five poor kids, and by the time the family called the ambulance to come get him, he was staggering around outside throwing up all over the place at the apartment complex, with his family screaming in the background. And then he exposed the ambulance staff to Ebola too - not to mention other people living in the apartments.

He KNEW he probably had Ebola and he exposed all these people to it. Sure the hospital staff is very much at fault as well - but that doesn't get him off the hook. HE TOLD NO MEDICAL PERSONNEL THAT HE'D BEEN AROUND TWO EBOLA PATIENTS THAT WERE NOW DEAD WITHIN THE PAST TWO WEEKS.
Thank you Kathryn. I agree 100%. I didn't even think about the fact that he came to visit his girlfriend. I'm sure there was sexual contact as well.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 AM

672 posts, read 789,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
He should have immediately fessed up and said he was around two ebola patients who are now dead and just got back from Liberia, and volunteered and demanded for himself immediate quarantine.
We don't know what he did or did not tell hospital staff on either of the occasions, probably never will know exactly what happened on that first visit, other than there was a breakdown that occured at a critical moment in time which is eggregious, and it was on the part of the medical staff not fully doing what they were supposed to have done that the great majority of that breakdown can be blamed. His sister claims that he told the nurse that he is Liberian. An African man --with an accent-- presenting with a specific set of symptoms should have prompted a set of responses in any event, whether he had stated that he was from Liberia or not, starting with travel history. Had they gotten the travel history, they would have found out that the man was Liberian, had the medical staff done any of the protocol that the CDC has instructed all hospitals to perform when a patient presents with these symptoms, the number of people exposed to this man during the time that he was most contagious would have been greatly reduced.

I am just trying to understand what people are asserting when they are saying that US patient zero was in some way being deceitful or untruthful. There would be no benefit to him to deliberately lying, because he would not then get the treatment that could possibly save his life. The further people go without supportive care, the lesser their chances of survival are. There isn't much that can currently be done for ill people, other than isolation and to keep a person hydrated, but the earlier a person gets help, the better the chances are of surviving.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
They say it's hard to spread but yet we have massive outbreaks of stomach virus here every year. They think we're stupid enough to believe this crap.
I was thinking about this very thing last night. But I'm sure the usual suspects will say they're totally different. Someone told me on an earlier thread on this topic in August that the only way to catch it was to basically bathe in the blood or sexual contact. He was totally dismissive of the legitimate fears people have to this disease. I need to go back to that thread and recall who said it.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:30 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
I think I'll hold off on my hysteria until there's something to actually get hysterical about.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
We don't know what he did or did not tell hospital staff on either of the occasions, probably never will know exactly what happened on that first visit, other than there was a breakdown that occured at a critical moment in time which is eggregious, and it was on the part of the medical staff not fully doing what they were supposed to have done that the great majority of that breakdown can be blamed. His sister claims that he told the nurse that he is Liberian. An African man --with an accent-- presenting with a specific set of symptoms should have prompted a set of responses in any event, whether he had stated that he was from Liberia or not, starting with travel history. Had they gotten the travel history, they would have found out that the man was Liberian, had the medical staff done any of the protocol that the CDC has instructed all hospitals to perform when a patient presents with these symptoms, the number of people exposed to this man during the time that he was most contagious would have been greatly reduced.

I am just trying to understand what people are asserting when they are saying that US patient zero was in some way being deceitful or untruthful. There would be no benefit to him to deliberately lying, because he would not then get the treatment that could possibly save his life. The further people go without supportive care, the lesser their chances of survival are. There isn't much that can currently be done for ill people, other than isolation and to keep a person hydrated, but the earlier a person gets help, the better the chances are of surviving.
Are you saying that he may have told the staff that he was exposed to Ebola, and they just let him go home with a prescription? Seriously? I am 100% positive the word Ebola never crossed his lips. If it had, he would have been in isolation immediately. The nurse may have not realized the significance of Liberia or it's place on the map, but she has to know the word Ebola.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't say that he knowingly exposed himself. I said that he KNOWINGLY exposed others to a great risk. He knew he had a very high chance of carrying and coming down with Ebola and yet he moved in with his girlfriend and her five children - FIVE CHILDREN.

Why is this so hard for you to understand? Do tell.

If I thought I'd had any exposure at all to the Ebola virus, do you think for a minute I'd let my family - or anyone else for that matter - around me? Heck no. I'd call the hospital and tell them my situation and the fact that I'd been in very close contact with TWO PEOPLE WHO HAD RECENTLY DIED OF EBOLA. That's pretty damn pertinent information.

Not only did he withhold this information, before and after he became symptomatic, he interacted with other people till he was finally carted off in an ambulance.

I wonder if he told his girlfriend and their families about his recent adventures in a taxi with two people who were now dead, before or after he showed up on their doorstep for a friendly little visit? I'd like to know that. What I do know is that as he was reeling around outside the apartment complex, spewing Ebola laden vomit all over the place, his family was screaming and crying and the scene was chaos, according to eye witnesses.

What a mess.
Yeah, I think you know what I was saying when I said "knowingly expose himself". Good grief, you're not that obtuse, are you? And no, he didn't knowingly expose others to ebola. He didn't know he had ebola. If he did, THEN I would say he knowingly exposed others to it. As I mentioned in a previous post, I'll hold off on my hysteria. Maybe you should do the same, you're getting awfully worked up about something that really doesn't affect you, now does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events