Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:20 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
They were around him though when he was sweating and vomiting.
I read somewhere that they have not isolated complete virus particles in sweat. The vomit is a concern, but I read that he cleaned that up himself. I dunno. I just hope this dies out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:26 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,379,983 times
Once the virus gets into its host it begins replicating so that the viral load continues to grow and I believe that it would therefore be at its highest near/at death.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 AM

777 posts, read 1,873,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Did they combine all the Ebola threads into this one?
Yep. Would have been nice if the mod had stated so or placed a sticky to indicate that all the threads were combined. It makes sense to combine, but in so doing the unique thread titles were lost.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,494,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Once the virus gets into its host it begins replicating so that the viral load continues to grow and I believe that it would therefore be at its highest near/at death.
This is a real possibility, and something that no "officials" I have heard of, are addressing. If this is true, it would be good news for the rest of us, as we would be in most danger from a noticeably sick person, and would be forewarned. As it is now, we don't know exactly whom to avoid - just "jet passengers from West Africa" - ??? Probably most of them are fine.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
"The second patient was not among the 48 people who are being monitored by the CDC. the hospital was following 18 of of its employees for possible Ebola exposure, but it was not clear early Sunday whether this worker was among that group."

"The health worker who has contracted Ebola was not among the people whom public health workers had identified as being at high risk of exposure to Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person to die of Ebola in the United States."

But no worries, public officials have it all under control and there is nothing to worry about. Ok.

Health care worker at Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas tests positive for Ebola | Dallas Morning News

Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 AM

263 posts, read 411,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What a terrible way to die.

I can hardly believe that it's a healthcare worker and yet Duncan's family seems to be OK so far. I mean, I'm glad they're OK but it's surprising.

It is quite possible the family may still show symptoms, although it is also possible West Africans and others from the area have better resistance to the virus (as it has existed in that region/ population for decades) than the rest of us. That does not make them completely immune as so many there have died of it, only that they may need a much higher dose of virus to develop the disease.

This is speculation but I have been surprised how easily Westerners - who were all in full protective gear- in Africa, Spain and now in Dallas have contracted the virus! And the thing alarming to me is that this 2nd patient was not on the 48 individuals being monitored! It seems CDCs "overabundance of caution" is just not cutting it. Who knows how many others have been in contact with this person and are now exposed to it?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Anecdotally there would appear to be some connection there... Mr Duncan was in contact with the pregnant woman close to her end as well. Perhaps the virus is more aggressive toward the end? I have no clue if that's even possible, so don't shoot me medical cd goers.
Viral load is highest at death and immediately afterwards. Those who are around patients near or at death, and/or preparing body for burial, are at the highest level of risk.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Yeah. Remember the pregnant girl was near death so probably highly contagious.
Anyone who touched her at that point is now dead themselves.

And do not forget that your every day health care workers are not trained to deal with level 4 biohazards.
They have no experience with it. They got lectures, handouts and posters.
This is their OJT and any mistakes can be fatal.

If my sister is any indication of the normal workers then there is huge concern among them about this.

Staff at the hospital in Spain where the ebola nurse is outright quit their jobs. The hospital had to go looking for new staff that would deal with Ebola.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I don't know but there seems to be "hysteria" (not my assertion) brewing on the World forum as well.

Ebola - what you're not being told.

This article gives us a different take to the ebola virus.

Ebola

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36800423-post1.html

And from the BBC itself in their article describing the second confirmed case in Nigeria:
This has been covered before. Yes, Ebola can be spread by large droplets (aerosols). That means if a victim coughs directly on you, you can get it.

No, it is not airborne. You cannot get it by just breathing the same air as a victim.

The people who did the pig study also did a followup study with monkeys in which an infected group of monkeys did not spread Ebola to uninfected monkeys only 30 cm away.

There has been no effort to withhold information. There is only the assumption that if healthcare workers are getting infected despite protective gear the virus must be airborne. That is not true. It is very easy to get the virus through breaks in technique when removing protective gear. There is nothing mysterious about it.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Let me ask..why are people surprised that healthcare workers are catching it ?

They are the ones most likely to catch it because they directly deal with the victims.
The WHO gave statistics on this group. 400 caught it and 233 died from it (last count).

Ebola is highly contagious if you are in contact with it and has a 60% or greater chance of killing you.

These workers are going there knowing the odds are NOT in their favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events