Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 10:11 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
They don't know that's when they got it. It's THEORIZED. The evidence that it's more contagious is the manner in which it's clearly spreading. This is a biological organism(a virus) that has the ability to mutate. That is a scientific fact. There is not proof that it's not more contagious. They're just making statements on past ebola strains and research that was done on those strains. Not the current strain. Look at the reston strain and how quickly that mutated. You have an ongoing outbreak and it takes YEARS to study a virus. Have they been in the lab with this new strain testing out how infectious it is? This current strain might not be airborne but could have adapted and become more "hardy."
No, it is not "clearly more contagious." That is your interpretation of events. All viruses mutate, but there is no evidence that there has been any mutation in the current virus that would change its behavior. It has been studied in the laboratory. Its entire RNA genome has been sequenced. Viruses are tiny. Ebola viruses have only a few genes, coding for seven proteins. These days that is not hard to study.

ViralZone: Ebolavirus

Read Zugor's description of what they do to prevent contamination when removing gear. Absence of a memory of a break in technique is not proof of an absence of a break in technique. Experience teaches that it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so get this - the new patient's vehicle has been impounded and decontaminated, as has the car park area surrounding it. A pet has been removed from the apartment. The apartment has already been decontaminated as well, according to officials. And the healthcare worker came down with symptoms Friday and was isolated and tested - all before the public knew anything about it. Apparently a circle of his/her friends and contacts has also already been contacted.

I have mixed feelings about all this.

On one hand, I'm not sure we need to know about every single person who is tested since the vast majority of people will obviously test negative for Ebola. But on the other hand, that was quite a feat getting all that done without any public knowledge whatsoever.

Interesting.
I am glad they did it that way. No need to have the media there making things more difficult.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-12-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Health workers get infected when they remove contaminated gear. It is so easy for that to happen that Doctors Without Borders recommends having someone observe removal of protective gear to prevent that from happening.

There is no evidence the current strain is more contagious. It just got into a highly populated geographical area with more potential victims.

No one is denying Ebola is contagious. No one is "oblivious or unwilling to admit" anything. All they are saying is that if you do not get close to someone with it you are not at risk. If that were not true, the situation in West Africa would be even worse than it is.

Do you perhaps have a link to what he actually said?
I don't feel as though I have to hunt for the video of the press conference and verify what I heard with my own ears to prove I am not lying. Very insulting, btw. I don't know why you keep asking me for a link - if you don't believe me, you can google it yourself (or not). Whatever the case, I do wish you'd stop acting as though you are the final authority on Ebola.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:23 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Good point about the (lack of) training involved. A very interesting article addressing this:

U.S. nurses say they are unprepared to handle Ebola patients - Hartford Courant
No surprise. What skill do nurses actually have that applies? Someone skilled with rain coats and duct tape working with hazardous materials has more appropriate skill for this sort of thing. That is to say our vaunted medical infrastructure has holes. Its like the wrong gauge of track. There is a train and there are rails, but it isn't going anywhere.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Your argument presupposes that you are living on a different planet.

Some Paleo-Indian migration sort of thing going on.

It's not.

And NO, you may get all foot stompy at a country's embassy or whatever, but YES, your "rights" would most certainly be curtailed by a particular government with border enforcement.

It's also interesting you threw "could afford treatment" into the mix. Did Mr. Duncan's estate pay for the expense of his little visit here? How much was it, anyway?
Not sure how much his medical treatment cost, but any proceeds from the family's lawsuit should be forwarded to that bill.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
So this nurse comes down with it. What about Duncan's family members he was living with when he started throwing up?
Awful quiet on that front. Maybe those who suspect it is super contagious when the host is dying are right. How about the poor workers hosing off the sidewalk? The officer who tested negative was in the house at onset of the big symptoms.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:29 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Health workers get infected when they remove contaminated gear. It is so easy for that to happen that Doctors Without Borders recommends having someone observe removal of protective gear to prevent that from happening.

There is no evidence the current strain is more contagious. It just got into a highly populated geographical area with more potential victims.

No one is denying Ebola is contagious. No one is "oblivious or unwilling to admit" anything. All they are saying is that if you do not get close to someone with it you are not at risk. If that were not true, the situation in West Africa would be even worse than it is.

Do you perhaps have a link to what he actually said?
Define "close".....sitting in a seat right after an infected person who was sweating or perhaps even threw up in? Using a toilet in a tiny airplane bathroom, having to touch just about everything just to use it....after someone was very ill? Stepping in vomit in a parking lot...too close for me.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so get this - the new patient's vehicle has been impounded and decontaminated, as has the car park area surrounding it. A pet has been removed from the apartment. The apartment has already been decontaminated as well, according to officials. And the healthcare worker came down with symptoms Friday and was isolated and tested - all before the public knew anything about it. Apparently a circle of his/her friends and contacts has also already been contacted.
Is there any news on how the transmission occurred? How deep her involvement was with the patient? She wasn't even on the list of people the CDC considered contacts. I'm concerned the CDC doesn't truly know what qualifies as a contact. This means some of the hospital staff weren't being monitored. The Spanish nurse's aide wasn't being monitored either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
How terrifying for this healthcare worker and their loved ones. These healthcare workers haven't been trained properly to deal with this type of biohazard. I hope that they can figure out where the breach in security measures took place so that they can prevent future mistakes.
They should have been trained properly. I'm not just saying this hospital but all hospitals. They should do drills a few times a year IMO. Hospitals all over the country should be doing it right now. It's never too late to train.

When my husband was in the recovery room earlier this year, we watched staff come and go from an isolation room. Half the time someone forgot to close the door. It remained open for 10 to 15 minutes at a time before someone noticed it was open. Granted, ebola isn't transmitted via the air, but this is an example of how often errors can happen when treating a patient in isolation. Maybe they do it so often they are desensitized to the risks.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:34 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
So this nurse comes down with it. What about Duncan's family members he was living with when he started throwing up?
Awful quiet on that front. Maybe those who suspect it is super contagious when the host is dying are right. How about the poor workers hosing off the sidewalk? The officer who tested negative was in the house at onset of the big symptoms.
I am not sure about that as the issue. Sure there is lost of discharge and virus but they are wearing containment barriers. I am thinking that the suits cause sweating and open pores. Thus not only does the the virus get directly to other bodily fluids instead of dry skin, it gets to invade in open pores or at least persist there. I wonder if the procedure should include sitting in refrigeration until the skin dries and the pores close?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...t-suits-sweat/

Old 10-12-2014, 10:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Oh, no!

The CDC says it was the result of a "breach of protocol" and other healthcare workers were exposed to the same breach!

CDC director: Second case of Ebola in US result of 'breach of protocol' | Fox News

I wish they would elaborate on exactly how the breach occurred!

Quote:
The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a "breach of protocol" caused a health care worker at a Dallas hospital to preliminarily test positive for Ebola.

The health care worker, a female nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, had "extensive contact" on multiple occasions with Thomas Eric Duncan, the first person diagnosed with Ebola in the U.S., who died last week, Dr. Tom Frieden said in a press conference Sunday.

He said the CDC is evaluating other health care workers who may have had the same breach of protocol as the nurse.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Define "close".....sitting in a seat right after an infected person who was sweating or perhaps even threw up in? Using a toilet in a tiny airplane bathroom, having to touch just about everything just to use it....after someone was very ill? Stepping in vomit in a parking lot...too close for me.
The WHO defines "close" as 3 feet if you have prolonged exposure.
What the WHO didn't define was how long is "prolonged exposure".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events