Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times

Advertisements

I said this on another CD forum, but I'll bring it up here, too: the scary thing about this worker's diagnosis is that she was one of the people who cared for him after his first visit. They knew it was ebola, and supposedly were ready for it. She was in the Personal Protective gear. That's bad news for the comfort level of anybody who wants to trust that our hospitals are prepared to handle this.

My prediction is that she will survive, though. You heard it here first! Because a) It was caught early and they can start treatment early, which seems to be a factor in survival rates, and b) There will be widespread panic among healthcare workers if she dies. Healthcare officials and government admins need this woman to survive, to try to quelch mass strikes by frightened healthcare workers. Her fate is going to be representative of what others might expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yeah. Remember the pregnant girl was near death so probably highly contagious.
Anyone who touched her at that point is now dead themselves.

And do not forget that your every day health care workers are not trained to deal with level 4 biohazards.
They have no experience with it. They got lectures, handouts and posters.
This is their OJT and any mistakes can be fatal.

If my sister is any indication of the normal workers then there is huge concern among them about this.

Staff at the hospital in Spain where the ebola nurse is outright quit their jobs. The hospital had to go looking for new staff that would deal with Ebola.
Good point about the (lack of) training involved. A very interesting article addressing this:

U.S. nurses say they are unprepared to handle Ebola patients - Hartford Courant

Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
Obama has been feeling the heat of not stopping air traffic to and from west Africa a bit more as of late and now this occurs. What is is going to take to have this idiot take action?

I know I know he isn't going to.

A president should instill a sense of calm and provide a plan of action during a time of uncertainty, there is absolutely nothing that indicates he's doing anything like that. If anything the average U.S. citizens anxiety and fear level concerning this is rising extremely rapidly.

What is your plan Mr. President? We're waiting.
Obama simply cannot make decisions. I hated Bush while he was in office, but at least the man didn't waffle on anything. This is what happens when you elect a leader who voted present over 130 times to protect his chances of winning an election to a higher office. Everything is political. Until his base starts getting upset about the travel, nothing will get done.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
This is a real possibility, and something that no "officials" I have heard of, are addressing. If this is true, it would be good news for the rest of us, as we would be in most danger from a noticeably sick person, and would be forewarned. As it is now, we don't know exactly whom to avoid - just "jet passengers from West Africa" - ??? Probably most of them are fine.
It is more than just a possibility; it is a medical fact. This has been well publicized - part of the reason Africa has been particularly hard hit is due to the custom of caring for ill friends and relatives in the home, and close relatives preparing the body for burial, and how many will hug and kiss the dead, just prior to burial. You must not be as obsessed with this story as the rest of us.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:58 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Yep. Would have been nice if the mod had stated so or placed a sticky to indicate that all the threads were combined. It makes sense to combine, but in so doing the unique thread titles were lost.
I hate it when threads are combined. It makes the conversations confusing. Why do people find this necessary?

Old 10-12-2014, 08:00 AM

208 posts, read 235,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
As it is now, we don't know exactly whom to avoid - just "jet passengers from West Africa" - ???
Most major US hospitals across the country have personnel who are recent immigrants from 3rd world countries or here on work/student visas. Those folks travel to and from their homeland and have relatives visiting them from back home. That will provide even more avenues for these viruses to exploit.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Now that details of Duncan's care and treatment are coming out, most disturbing are "projectile vomiting" and "explosive diarrhea". Duncan requested being put in a diaper because he was too tired to keep getting up to use the commode. Lots of shed virus and lots of exposure to it.

Let's see what kind of spin the local officials put on this in the effort to tell all Dallas citizens there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Although now they are actually admitting you don't need direct contact with the infected person but can get the virus from contaminated surfaces.
That you can get Ebola from contaminated surfaces has been known all along. It is not something they are "actually admitting" all of a sudden. Those surfaces are a form of "direct contact" with infected secretions from the patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Anecdotally there would appear to be some connection there... Mr Duncan was in contact with the pregnant woman close to her end as well. Perhaps the virus is more aggressive toward the end? I have no clue if that's even possible, so don't shoot me medical cd goers.
As has already been pointed out, it has to do with the amount of virus present: more virus means a greater opportunity for someone else to come in contact with it.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
This has been covered before. Yes, Ebola can be spread by large droplets (aerosols). That means if a victim coughs directly on you, you can get it.

No, it is not airborne. You cannot get it by just breathing the same air as a victim.

The people who did the pig study also did a followup study with monkeys in which an infected group of monkeys did not spread Ebola to uninfected monkeys only 30 cm away.

There has been no effort to withhold information. There is only the assumption that if healthcare workers are getting infected despite protective gear the virus must be airborne. That is not true. It is very easy to get the virus through breaks in technique when removing protective gear. There is nothing mysterious about it.
I listened to a Doctor (former govt. official) who clearly stated that the virus can be airborne and that the WHOLE truth needs to come out, not just snippets.
What he said was that if an infected person sneezes or coughs anyone within one meter can become infected. He then went on to say that Ebola can survive on solid surfaces for up to 6 hours given the proper conditions.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:05 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
This is scary in that they have not identified, to the public anyway, how this person came into contact with the virus. The only thing they have said is that the healthcare worker was NOT one of the workers considered high risk of getting the disease. This either means the worker was not in direct contact and caught it from a surface after the fact, or the worker screwed up somehow.

Maybe they just don't know how it was contracted. That would be the most scariest of all.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:06 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Did they combine all the Ebola threads into this one?
Apparently so. I wish they hadn't merged them all.

When I see 230 pages of threads, I just skip on out of here and go to another forum.

Too hard to figure out what's what, and what's new.

America having a second case of Ebola seemed newsworthy to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events