Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:04 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

Not to beat a dead horse, but I am wondering why there is so much secrecy about the unnamed patient in Atlanta. We have heard every detail about Dr. Brantley, the woman aid worker, Thomas Duncan and now Nina Pham. Why nothing about the unidentified patient being treated since September 9? I've scoured the internet and found so little it is puzzling. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
[quote=suzy_q2010;36730323]There is no evidence that Ebola is spread by mosquitoes, and the animals in which it occurs just don't live in the US, except in zoos.

Q&As on Transmission | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

"There is no evidence that mosquitos or other insects can transmit Ebola virus. Only mammals (for example, humans, bats, monkeys and apes) have shown the ability to spread and become infected with Ebola virus."

Can pets get or spread Ebola? - CNN.com
Seems dogs can catch it, not show signs and potential infect others with it though waste. This is new territory and we don't really know what animals can or cannot spread it in the U.S. They say they can try and test the dogs for it, but, how long they have to wait to test is unknown. So, if a mosquito bites an infected dog, and then a person within close range I don't see how it won't infect them.

If antelope can get it in Africa, then what about our cattle? Thousands in close range to each other, it could be horrid.

There are no studies on these issues, so it's not only primates who can catch and spread Ebola. There are a lot of holes we've left open to study, and now that America has Ebola, we better get to work because we know nothing.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:11 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but I am wondering why there is so much secrecy about the unnamed patient in Atlanta. We have heard every detail about Dr. Brantley, the woman aid worker, Thomas Duncan and now Nina Pham. Why nothing about the unidentified patient being treated since September 9? I've scoured the internet and found so little it is puzzling. What gives?
First of all, HIPAA prevents the hospital from releasing information.

Second of all, if I had Ebola I would know that if I survived the disease there would likely be a certain stigma that would attach to me from thereafter. Some would shun me, even if it had been months or years since I recovered from the disease. Judging from the paranoia I've seen among some of the posts on these threads, I wouldn't want anyone to know that I had had Ebola either.

Third, what exactly do you want to know? What do you need to know? What I have is enough information for me.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-14-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It wouldn't be the first time military was used for experimentation.
I think the next testing ground for the new vaccine will be on them for sure. As usual there is a secret larger picture we can not see at the moment.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:13 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

This is all I could find...

Sept. 9, 2014 – An unnamed American Ebola patient arrives at Emory University Hospital for treatment. This patient had been working for the World Health Organization in Sierra Leone. The patient was still there as of Oct. 13, 2014.

Ebola in America: Timeline of a Deadly Virus

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Second of all, if I had Ebola I would know that if I survived the disease there would likely be a certain stigma that would attach to me from thereafter. Some would shun me, even if it had been months or years since I recovered from the disease. Judging from the paranoia I've seen among some of the posts on these threads, I wouldn't want anyone to know that I had had Ebola either.

Third, what exactly do you want to know? What do you need to know? We know she was a nurse involved in treating Duncan. Do you want a lengthy biography? What I have is enough information for me.
I agree that this person simply may not want his or her name released, but this is not the same nurse who treated Thomas Duncan. This person must have been flown in from somewhere else.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Third, what exactly do you want to know? What do you need to know? We know she was a nurse involved in treating Duncan. Do you want a lengthy biography? What I have is enough information for me.
Yeah, like the paranoia that Ebola could come to our shores, spread despite our wonderfully clean and responsible medical system? I think paranoia seems to be the only forewarning we are actually getting these days. My days of ignoring the paranoid are over. Seems they are more on target than the pros this time.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:17 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
So what is the solution? Stop all overseas travel and close all our borders, including by car from Canada, and of course Mexico. To REALLY prevent the spread inside the US, since people have died here also, stop all domestic travel too. Call out the National Guard to seal off state borders. Nobody can leave or enter another state by car also.

Next? Demand that the CDC get off their dead -----, and invent a vaccine IMMEDIATELY. Demand that this vaccine be given to every American man, woman, and child. If they refuse to comply, throw them in a quarantine camp, or maybe shoot them, and burn their bodies. It is for the good of this country and will save the lives of millions of people!!!!!!!

Science Ficton? Don't think there are people who wouldn't think this is great idea and solution? Watch some old movies. It has been thought up the in past and with the premise of some uncontrollable disease spreading.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:18 AM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Once you have had Ebola you are immune to it. In epidemic areas they are recruiting survivors to work in roles where exposure risk is the highest.

Yeah? Who?
Oh, I am not going to name names. Read back over the posts.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:

This proves that information is being suppressed for some reason. I am NOT talking about Nina Pham, the nurse who treated Duncan. The person I am speaking about, is the 4th person who was transported to the Atlanta hospital on September 9.

As far as privacy, why is it that names and details have been released for everyone, including Ms. Pham (who requested total privacy) but not this other mystery patient?

And no, I don't need a lengthy biography. Just the same basic information that didn't seem to be withheld for the other Ebola victims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events