Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If there was an Ebola vaccine, would you take it?
Yes, I'd be one of the first to get a vaccine. Better safe than sorry. 41 11.20%
If it came to my region, then yes, I'd get vaccinated. 67 18.31%
Too soon, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future. 192 52.46%
Rush-to-market vaccines are dangerous. No way would I get a vaccine. 77 21.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
What threads have been closed on CD? There's quite a few ongoing threads on ebola right now, just look under 'current events' and you'll find them.
Check under Texas threads "Dallas". You will see that ALL ebola threads in the Dallas TX category have been closed and anyone opening a new one is threatened with an infraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:49 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
What threads have been closed on CD? There's quite a few ongoing threads on ebola right now, just look under 'current events' and you'll find them.
He/she said the Ebola threads on the Dallas forum keep getting closed.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Check under Texas threads "Dallas". You will see that ALL ebola threads in the Dallas TX category have been closed and anyone opening a new one is threatened with an infraction.
I suppose each forum has their own moderators, and the Dallas moderator doesn't like the discussions.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:51 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Mukpo, the one who cleaned out the car, was not using adequate PPE and did not know what he was doing.

He is going to receive a blood transfusion from Dr. Brantly, by the way, and also is getting brincidofovir.
Any fresh updates on how Mukpo is doing?

Old 10-09-2014, 06:58 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We need a thread somewhere about the pervasive paranoia among conservatives.
Isnt it the democrats that think the world is drowning due to greenhouse emissions?.......

Old 10-09-2014, 07:04 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
My .02 cents

I already knew the Liberian guy would perish in Dallas. I was so sure of it, that I was compelled to post my prediction in the Dallas forum days ago, but decided against it out of compassion.

I believe he knew there was a strong possibility that he'd been exposed while helping the pregnant victim in Liberia, and immediately decided to come to the U.S. for treatment in the event that he began experiencing symptoms.

He supposedly came here to "marry his fiancé, and mother of his 19 year old son"- neither of whom he has seen since they left Africa 16 years ago! He wasn't experiencing a fever that would alert medics at the Liberian airport, then lied on the questionnaire to ensure his exit. Once here, he probably thought he'd be in good hands, but no... they waited 6 FULL DAYS before administering experimental treatment.

This "looks" suspect in the court of worldwide public opinion, given the expeditious treatment (and subsequent recovery) of the Americans who somehow managed to beat this deadly disease. I won't even touch on the fluorescent elephant in the corner with regard to the patients themselves... which brings us to this ironic newfound "second possible victim"

Let me be the first to say (I can't suppress these pesky premonitions any longer ) that I don't believe for even a millisecond that this Policeman has Ebola, not on my pension! This is nothing more than a concerted effort to divert attention away from what has actually taken place---the U.S.' successful nastigram to outsiders seeking medical care by coming here for it. This was the governments way of saying "you all are in for a surprise if you think coming here for treatment is the answer... you'll be isolated, and nature will take its course."

The biggest joke of all is the fact that this Policeman is supposedly experiencing symptoms, when not even a single individual who admittedly had direct contact with this Liberian (all of whom are still quarantined as we speak) have reported any symptoms to speak of!

Ohh, and let's not forget, the director of the CDC said today, that it could take up to 14 days to know for sure if he in fact tests positive.... perfect timing... just long enough to allow all the scutiny with regard to the deceased victim to subside. Gotta love the damage control hijinks.

P.S.- If the deputy does in fact test positive, he will be just fine!
I see you have it all figured out.

In that case, would you be so kind as to enlighten me on

a) why Mr Duncan, after lying and cheating to get here for superior treatment, didn't go to the hospital for two days

b) why when he got to the ER didn't say "hey I have Ebola now treat me"

c) why he allowed himself to be sent home without the diagnosis he was seeking or treatment for said diagnosis

Seems like the guy went to a lot of effort to ruse his way in, only to defeat the entire purpose of his mission after getting here.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
One of the biggest problems that will come back to bite us in the butt big time is not being informed of the whole situation nor given the whole unvarnished truth of what's known.
Take the Photographer that just caught it "supposedly" washing a car that contained an ebola patient. Much of what's been disclosed doesn't make sense and several critical questions about his contamination have been left unanswered.

Same with the Spanish nurse who fell ill on vacation. How did she happen to come into contact with Ebola? One would figure a hospital worker was in full MOP gear so exactly how did it happen.

I'm sorry but I do not believe we (the public) are being given the whole story for whatever reason(s) be it they:
A.Don't know yet but have an idea.
B.Don't want to scare the public until they've got a fix that works en mass.
C. Have no clue.

Those "in the know" need to get transparent real damned quick before rumor over runs fact

Old 10-09-2014, 07:12 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
ah yes, I found and read the moratorium.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I think there are federal laws govering quarantine, too.

As a child of the 1960s, I have to say, I agree that we're behaving in many ways like a third-world country. We're now England of the late 1800s, watching the sun set on our hegemoney. It was nice while it lasted.
I agree, but not for the reasons you cite.

It doesn't take much for the thin veil of civilization to come down once people get scared of the boogeyman.

We rail against the supposed savagery of other cultures while acting in turn like we don't have a rational brain in our heads or a compassionate bone in our body.

Underneath it all you are not superior.

And I wonder how many indigenous people the colonialists of late 1800 England decimated by introducing new and deadly infectious diseases?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Any fresh updates on how Mukpo is doing?

This is from yesterday.

Quote:
Levy, who flew from Omaha to Rhode Island on Sunday, said he spoke to his son’s doctors earlier. “They all feel that he’s doing well. He is perhaps doing a little better” than yesterday, “and everyone’s encouraged.”
Ashoka Mukpo

edited.. the spanish nurse is not doing well and is on a vent.

She's another one that didn't think to tell the hospital that she was involved with an ebola patient so the hospital sent her home with pain killers when she first went in.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29548001

Last edited by Lauriedeee; 10-09-2014 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events