Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:25 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times

Advertisements

I suppose if it compensated the baby for her injuries that might be reasonable.. However, to blame Dennys or the server for something that was a mistake, im sure the server did not on purpose do that. and what about parents PERSONAL RESPONSIBILTY. so i do not think it is totally Dennys fault, though since they did serve coffe and he kid got burned, then perhaps compensation for medical bills , pain and suffering was ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:51 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My sister, her 8 year old son, and I went shopping at Target about a year ago. My nephew went to the bathroom and came out a minute later crying. He told her the water was very hot coming out of the faucet. My sister ran to the snack bar, put a ton of ice on his burning hands, and spoke to the manager. After he had put ice on his hand for several minutes, we went into the bathroom to see what had happened. The hot water spigot was scalding and (I mean scalding) hot. She ended up taking him to the doctor, and fortunately his hands were not permanently injured. I told her she should at least get Target to pay for the doctor's visit, but she never pursued it. Target never even called her to find out how my nephew was doing.
I'm sorry for your nephew and it sucks that the manager didn't check back, but there's that personal responsibility thing again.
The retail place I work in is required to keep the hot water hot enough to sanitize, because we have a break area, where dishes are stored and washed, health laws and such . I imagine it's the same at most businesses.
Hot water is meant to be hot and I think it's reasonable to expect that people use it with caution, mix it with cold water, stick a finger in to check it, etc. It's a learning process for kids, but if he hadn't yet been taught to be cautious of water coming from a hot water faucet why was he in the bathroom alone without supervision?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:52 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
I refuse to make judgement in cases like this. I wasn't on the jury , I didn't have access to the facts. I thought the McDondalds scalding case was ridiculous, until I got my ass handed to me by the facts.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:03 PM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I refuse to make judgement in cases like this. I wasn't on the jury , I didn't have access to the facts. I thought the McDondalds scalding case was ridiculous, until I got my ass handed to me by the facts.
You mean the facts that I debunked?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:11 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
You mean the facts that I debunked?
You debunked nothing, except maybe in your own mind. By the way, in the McDonald's case, the woman was only seeking reimbursement of medical costs . It was the jury that awarded her further compensation for damages.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:14 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^another social media myth where the facts don't support the mass chattle group-think, but hey...why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case
According to your article the plaintiff did, indeed, place the coffee cup between her legs while removing the lid to put cream and sugar in the coffee.

Seems to me that common sense would dictate that since 1) car seats are generally not level, and 2) the styrofoam is "squishable", even a slight movement of her legs together- perhaps to steady the cup, might have resulted in the coffee spilling. IMO what she did was an accident waiting to happen. Between my legs on a soft car seat is the LAST place I'd park my coffee, especially if I were trying to get it open.

I see what her attorneys have claimed as to the extent of her injuries as a result of that spillage, if she truly had all those injuries, that's unfortunate, but it's a well known phenomenon that plaintiff's attorneys are wont to exaggerate their clients' injuries to jack up the awarded amounts if they win the case. So it's anyone's guess.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
They only won because the insurance company decided to settle. I think it's a bit of a stretch blaming a waitress. If they used that logic, the Denny's could be right in saying that they harmed their child by ordering the hot cup of coffee in the first place.
I can't think of a business out there that wouldn't have settled out of court on a case like this. Followed by some training for the waitstaff. At least in this case, everyone's happy.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:18 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Don't know about this one, wouldn't a parent have noticed and be concerned about scalding coffee near an infant?

Family of girl scalded by Denny’s coffee wins $500,000 settlement - City & Region - The Buffalo News

Nuisance lawsuit brought on by a litany of ads on TV telling everyone, whenever something bad happens, sue....apparently Lucy and Ricardo were paying attention....sorry it happened but, it's not grossly negligent...maybe the restaurant ought to sue the parents for fumbling the coffee and causing undue stress, blah blah blah....it was an ACCIDENT....the injuries, while sad, are not permanent...seems like this would have settled out for considerably less.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I'm sorry for your nephew and it sucks that the manager didn't check back, but there's that personal responsibility thing again.
The retail place I work in is required to keep the hot water hot enough to sanitize, because we have a break area, where dishes are stored and washed, health laws and such . I imagine it's the same at most businesses.
Hot water is meant to be hot and I think it's reasonable to expect that people use it with caution, mix it with cold water, stick a finger in to check it, etc. It's a learning process for kids, but if he hadn't yet been taught to be cautious of water coming from a hot water faucet why was he in the bathroom alone without supervision?
In most of the public restrooms I've visited over the last few years, whether they're in restaurants, retail stores, or other businesses, only the cold water spigot works when you go to wash your hands, there is no hot water available. Perhaps this scenario is why.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:24 PM

294 posts, read 242,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
You debunked nothing, except maybe in your own mind. By the way, in the McDonald's case, the woman was only seeking reimbursement of medical costs . It was the jury that awarded her further compensation for damages.
Actually, I debunked everything. That's the most revealing part of it. Everyone who is pro-frivolous lawsuits has so far just said "yeah, well, whatever." Literally every part of my argument remains completely untouched and unaddressed.

//www.city-data.com/forum/37025170-post20.html

As for your statement that she wasn't seeking any damages and the jury just randomly gave them to her, that's not how things work. She wasn't on "The Price Is Right" or "Wheel of Fortune," although that's almost what the legal system has devolved into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events