Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:39 PM

294 posts, read 242,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
McDonald's fought that lady too and all she wanted was her medical bills paid - I bet they felt pretty stupid when a jury awarded her way more than just her medical bill expenses.
That's a pretty inane way of looking at the mentality of a jackpot jury.

P.S. I bet she feels pretty stupid that she's made fun of by everyone. I mean, that's just as relevant as your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
Hot coffee spilling in your lap should hurt but it definitely should not MELT the skin off of you which is what happened to that lady. I also saw pictures of her injuries and it was just awful looking.

You mean to tell me that if a place served you coffee so hot that it (almost) literally melted your genitals off that you wouldn't sue? You're full of it.
All you're doing is saying "wow, she's really hurt and McDonald's has a lot of money, so they should pay." As noted previously, maybe she shouldn't be trying to open a hot cup of coffee that she's holding in between her knees, then sit in burning liquid. Meanwhile, all her supporters can say is "the coffee should only be 140 degrees hot," which is a pretty hilarious defense. [Note: several people have stated here that McDonald's lowered the temperature of their coffee after the case, whereas the Wikipedia entry on the case states that they actually have not and that this is the industry standard temperature. It also notes that Starbucks also serves their coffee at this temperature.]

Full destruction of her case: //www.city-data.com/forum/37025170-post20.html

Oh, I found some new information while reading the Wikipedia entry. Here's how she opened her coffee cup: she held the cup in between her knees, grasped the FAR edge of the lid (the part furthest away from her) and pulled it towards her. HA HA HA HA! That's basically like she was trying to spill everything on herself.

Last edited by pimbolo; 10-27-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
That's a pretty inane way of looking at the mentality of a jackpot jury.

P.S. I bet she feels pretty stupid that she's made fun of by everyone. I mean, that's just as relevant as your comment.

All you're doing is saying "wow, she's really hurt and McDonald's has a lot of money, so they should pay." As noted previously, maybe she shouldn't be trying to open a hot cup of coffee that she's holding in between her knees, then sit in burning liquid. Meanwhile, all her supporters can say is "the coffee should only be 140 degrees hot," which is a pretty hilarious defense. [Note: several people have stated here that McDonald's lowered the temperature of their coffee after the case, whereas the Wikipedia entry on the case states that they actually have not and that this is the industry standard temperature. It also notes that Starbucks also serves their coffee at this temperature.]

Full destruction of her case: //www.city-data.com/forum/37025170-post20.html

Oh, I found some new information while reading the Wikipedia entry. Here's how she opened her coffee cup: she held the cup in between her knees, grasped the FAR edge of the lid (the part furthest away from her) and pulled it towards her. HA HA HA HA! That's basically like she was trying to spill everything on herself.
Wikpedia huh?

Old 10-28-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Wikpedia huh?
Yeah, I know, but at least I acknowledged that it's not an authoritative source.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:15 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimbolo View Post
Yeah, I know, but at least I acknowledged that it's not an authoritative source.
wait, let me run your response past my go-to source...

"Reply hazy try again"

Old 10-28-2014, 03:29 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,673,749 times
A low expectations bunch aren't we. I wouldn't want my daughter to get any degree of burns and $500,000 isn't a lot of money. There is this strange notion that somehow the child or her family won.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
A low expectations bunch aren't we. I wouldn't want my daughter to get any degree of burns and $500,000 isn't a lot of money. There is this strange notion that somehow the child or her family won.
And here we have another demonstration of the problem. To this guy, some irrelevant statements add up, namely:

- I wouldn't want my daughter to be burned.
- $500,000 isn't a lot of money.

That adds up to:

- Therefore, the restaurant is responsible.

Except you can see plainly that the first two statements have nothing to do with the conclusion. But were he on the jury, he probably would say "actually, since $500,000 isn't that much, I'm actually doing the restaurant a favor!" Meanwhile, the restaurant is now out of business because, news flash, franchise owners aren't these rich people who walk around with bags of cash -- and even if they did, that wouldn't entitle you to take it.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
My great-grandfather worked for the railroad...and lost his hand in a work related accident...his reward??? He got to ride the railroad free for life...oh the good old days...

Old 10-29-2014, 05:37 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,280,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
^another social media myth where the facts don't support the mass chattle group-think, but hey...why let facts get in the way of a good rant?

The Actual Facts about the Mcdonalds' Coffee Case
EVERYONE IN THE USA SHOULD RED THIS!

Better yet, see the documentary. That elderly woman got nothing and was only asking for her medical bills to be paid. The burns were gruesome and painful.

I feel in this case that the parents should've taken some responsibility as well.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy
Don't know about this one, wouldn't a parent have noticed and be concerned about scalding coffee near an infant?
Ya you would think they would!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events