Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is this considered harassment?
Yes 102 44.93%
No 74 32.60%
50/50 51 22.47%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Women stroll around in short skirts, high heels and tons of makeup that make them look attractive and then complain that they're ATTRACTING males and attention???
Like I said already, if they are so offended by men catcalling them then wear a burka.

http://thepolar.net/wp-content/uploa...ace_28915c.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Women stroll around in short skirts, high heels and tons of makeup that make them look attractive and then complain that they're ATTRACTING males and attention???
Women don't "stroll around" dressed in that fashion unless that is the fashion. Women dress in what is the latest style. If that is what it is, that's the way they will dress. If it turns some men on, so be it but that doesn't mean those men have to get all stupid about it. If that or any other particular manner of dress, (see my post about head to toe covering) attracts a man's attention, no problem. That isn't what women and complaing about. If that man gets obnoxious about it; problem. That is what women are complaing about.

Be attracted all you want but keep your thoughts in your head, your comments in your mouth and your hands to yourself.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:20 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Women don't "stroll around" dressed in that fashion unless that is the fashion. Women dress in what is the latest style. If that is what it is, that's the way they will dress. If it turns some men on, so be it but that doesn't mean those men have to get all stupid about it. If that or any other particular manner of dress, (see my post about head to toe covering) attracts a man's attention, no problem. That isn't what women and complaing about. If that man gets obnoxious about it; problem. That is what women are complaing about.

Be attracted all you want but keep your thoughts in your head, your comments in your mouth and your hands to yourself.
In a perfect utopian world that would be practical but we don't live in that kind of world. Not every guy acts the same and not every guy is soft spoken and sensitive. Some guys are more aggressive than others. It would be like expecting women to all be the same and that all of them have high moral standards. That's not how the world works. The best thing to do is ignore it and grow tougher skin. There are worse things in the world to worry about than catcalling.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:21 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
As anyone, male or female, who walks around city streets knows, a hey how ya doing or a hello from a stranger can have a sinister context to it. It isn't always friendly greeting, so I agree that some of those friendly hellos weren't all that friendly.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:32 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
As anyone, male or female, who walks around city streets knows, a hey how ya doing or a hello from a stranger can have a sinister context to it. It isn't always friendly greeting, so I agree that some of those friendly hellos weren't all that friendly.
One of the first things I learned when I moved to Boston and began visiting big cities was that there are two types of people who talk to you on the street/public transit: out of towners who don't know any better and creeps. I have not yet been proven wrong.

Strangers just don't say hello in passing here. I remember being shocked when visiting a friend in SC and everyone we passed on the street said "Hi." That's not normal in many cities. If you say hello to me on the street here in Boston, I'm going to assume the worst in you. You wouldn't be offended or shocked by that unless you're a tourist.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Best thing is just to ignore women - no matter how attractive they may be, no matter how much they may have invested in the latest fashion , in having their hair done and in makeup. If you don't know them, make like they don't exist.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:38 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Strangers just don't say hello in passing here. I remember being shocked when visiting a friend in SC and everyone we passed on the street said "Hi." That's not normal in many cities. If you say hello to me on the street here in Boston, I'm going to assume the worst in you. You wouldn't be offended or shocked by that unless you're a tourist.
In the friendlier south and mid west it is very common and normal to say hello to people or acknowledge on the street.

My wife used to travel to NYC and the 1st advice given is never talk or look at people on the street.
That's weird for many people.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
In the friendlier south and mid west it is very common and normal to say hello to people or acknowledge on the street.

My wife used to travel to NYC and the 1st advice given is never talk or look at people on the street.
That's weird for many people.
The point is that it's important to acknowledge cultural differences in this country. I notice that most of the people saying, "So you can't even say hi now!?!?" are from the west coast or south. I grew up in the south and when I am THERE, I am likely to say hi back. If I am at home in Boston or visiting friends in NYC, my response is to stare straight ahead and ignore.

When I was living in Europe, more than once I had people on the subway tell my friends and I that our talking softly amongst ourselves was disturbing to them. Subway cars were SILENT in London and Vienna. Rather than insisting our way was right, we conformed. Just like if you don't want to be seen as creepy in NYC or Boston, you don't talk to strangers on the street.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:51 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The point is that it's important to acknowledge cultural differences in this country. I notice that most of the people saying, "So you can't even say hi now!?!?" are from the west coast or south. I grew up in the south and when I am THERE, I am likely to say hi back. If I am at home in Boston or visiting friends in NYC, my response is to stare straight ahead and ignore.

When I was living in Europe, more than once I had people on the subway tell my friends and I that our talking softly amongst ourselves was disturbing to them. Subway cars were SILENT in London and Vienna. Rather than insisting our way was right, we conformed. Just like if you don't want to be seen as creepy in NYC or Boston, you don't talk to strangers on the street.
I got some harassment taking the bus to and from downtown LA. (There's a certain portion of it where you get that.) It didn't happen constantly, but it did happen, and you learn to look ahead and not acknowledge them.

Funny, the street I most dreaded walking on was near my home in a suburb of LA (in the valley). Most or all white guys doing the cat-calling.

I still don't understand, what it is that is getting some of these guys on this thread butthurt and arguing about. Do you think we're making it up? Do you think that we're all goddesses who dress in skin-tight, flashy, sexy clothes and "bring it upon ourselves"? Do you think we all secretly love it and are just pretending that we don't?

It's like you're not listening, you are too busy TELLING US what we really feel, what our motivations really are, and how we really behaved when we got catcalled, what we really dressed like. Because we don't know or are lying.

You're also TELLING US that we somehow have no "right" to not like it, or something.

It's crazy.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:56 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
I have a couple of observations about this thread, not just the video but this thread in general.

1. Boxus and NOLA, You two believe that most of what you saw in the video constitutes as harassment. aa Also both of you have used the term "game" as in "these losers have no game". The irony of you using such a term is that it was a term coined by sketchy PUA types and the types of guys you are denouncing.

2. As far as female-male relationships go I have a feeling that in the not-so-distant future that more women will approach men for dates and relationships and more men will be very hesitant to approach women out of fear of being labeled a creeper, stalker or weirdo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events