Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Although I agree, I smell a civil suit on the horizon.
Unfortunately I think that you are right...better get to his donation site and send him another sawbuck.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:05 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Although I agree, I smell a civil suit on the horizon.
I think Wilson should file as well.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:07 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I know it's late however this is only the 9th responce to your thread. You should be able to remember what you wrote.
The snark is really unnecessary. I questioned why the protesters weren't doing specific things. Here, I'll make it easy:

Why aren't the protesters:
1. Picketing the Ferguson Police Department?
2. Staging sit-ins at the Ferguson Mayor's office? Or at the office of the Mayor of St. Louis?
3. Bombarding their legislators for changes in the law?

Those are my questions. Do you have an answer for why the protesters aren't using their momentum and doing these things which might result in actual change?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:08 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,441,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I disagree. Proper changes should include NOT assaulting/stealing from convenience stores, respecting authority, NOT assaulting police officers, NOT destroying/burning down fellow businesses, NOT shooting members of your own community, NOT running over elders after stealing from them, etc. Being a productive member of society, not a menace to society!

Ferguson riots claim first casualty as teenager found 'shot dead' in his car | Daily Mail Online

Ferguson man attacked with his oxygen supply and then run over | Daily Mail Online

Ferguson, Missouri burns as Darren Wilson WILL NOT face charges | Daily Mail Online
Those people are not the protesters - those are people who are taking advantage of the situation and using it to commit crimes. Let's learn to separate the two.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
At least 12 eye witnesses testified that Michael Brown had his hands up when fired upon.

The chart posted at the link below summarizes witness testimony:

What do the newly released witness statements tell us about the Michael Brown shooting? | PBS NewsHour
And the physical evidence disproved every single one of them.

I have no idea why you keep having your head wrapped around these witnesses, whom in which have been proven to be if not mistaken, then outright lying. I also have no idea why you keep going back to this chart, this is merely a summary of the witness statements, many of which were not supported by the physical evidence.

Why do you keep ignoring the physical evidence?

Did you forget the witnesses that stated Brown was running away, and the witnesses that stated brown was on his knees when shot?

Witnesses are not reliable (for both sides), and have sent innocent people to prison. This is why the physical evidence becomes even more important, and the physical evidence in this case supports Wilson's account.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I disagree. Proper changes should include NOT assaulting/stealing from convenience stores, respecting authority, NOT assaulting police officers, NOT destroying/burning down fellow businesses, NOT shooting members of your own community, NOT running over elders after stealing from them, etc. Being a productive member of society, not a menace to society!

Ferguson riots claim first casualty as teenager found 'shot dead' in his car | Daily Mail Online

Ferguson man attacked with his oxygen supply and then run over | Daily Mail Online

Ferguson, Missouri burns as Darren Wilson WILL NOT face charges | Daily Mail Online
Your listing symptoms of a deeper larger problem. In mostly all these cases, kids were brought up to not respect authority by not being taught morals, respect, and right and wrong by their parents or just as likely, by parents who are absent or share the same selfish/non-caring attitude and just pass it on their kids. Treating symptoms is NOT the way to solve any of this.

Going back to the suggestion of officers wearing cameras, given the above problems realistically won't be solved given the selfish nature of many of these unfit or absent parents and an endless cycle, is a great idea to at least tell us what really happened in a situation so we don't have to go through this nonsense we are going through now.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:15 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I didn't mention any changes in the OP - I asked why the protesters aren't focusing on the powers that be for the changes they want, rather than blocking traffic and going to malls.
I think many protesters just go out to cause chaos... For example in the London riots - also racial cus a cop shot a black man (who was in a gang anyway!). But what was a quiet protest (which is fine) went into a riot and people just went out to steel stuff from shops! Take a look at this, I mean no one rioting gave a **** about the fact that a black man was shot, they just wanted to loot!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YYcAmSJu8A

Then you got crappy left-wing extremists like this hyping things up for no reason!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxO8k6R5_aQ

OK, the London riots might be a slightly different issue to that over in the US... But I seriously don't understand why people feel the need to riot and destroy other peoples lives because of their problem with how their country is run!?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:18 PM

10 posts, read 10,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
On citydata alone, in the last three days, at least 10 threads have been started by white city-data-ers with questions that start with "Question for black people" or "black people do you" or "black people why don't you speak up about XYZ"... I can't fathom what it's like to use an online forum to speak to an ENTIRE group of people that you apparently can't speak to off the computer. I can't imagine what it's like to imagine that all black people think alike, have the same experience, and thus can answer your questions and speak for the millions of black people that they don't know themselves. What's blatantly clear is that SOME of the white individuals on citydata don't interact with black people very often and thus their "insights" about the black community are based largely off of what the media tells them, what they hear and the conclusions that they've formed based largely on ignorance. I don't necessarily fault the latter--ignorance after all is largely a result of NOT knowing. But the difference between me, and the people that start these types of threads, is that when I'm "ignorant" I don't pretend to know, make assumptions, or ask questions that reveal my ignorance. I TRY to learn, by directly educating myself as much as possible. For instance if I really WANT to know about a particular topic, I'll do research. I'll place myself in situations where I'm exposed to that topic. I'll get objective information. I'll get to know the XYZ'S and circumstances of that topic. And then only once I've learned all that I could, will I say what I know. Until then I keep my mouth shut. I suppose the OP was trying to "learn" by asking a question to black people on city-data, but the problem is, the black people on citydata aren't speakers of the black community as a whole. We are individuals. We don't all protest. We don't all have the same feelings about this case. We don't all have the same experiences. So there's a great probability that the answers you'll get from the SMALL percentage of blacks on this site, will not in anyway provide the type of insight you're hoping to gain from what apparently to you is some monolithic black force.
What's more? We don't need advice or insights from white people who don't interact regularly with black people(apparently) about what we need to do to make our monolithic community better so we can stop blaming whitey.
how do you know the threads were started by white people? do you just assume they're white, because they're not black? you do realize people of other ethnicities use the internet too, right?

Old 11-28-2014, 10:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,030,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owslesea View Post
how do you know the threads were started by white people? do you just assume they're white, because they're not black? you do realize people of other ethnicities use the internet too, right?
It's still dumb to make a post like this either way.

There is this mindset that all blacks think as ONE on this forum.

I don't know where it came from or why people believe it to be so, but they do.

It's 2014 and the more things change, the more they're still the same. smh

Old 11-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
proper training of officers to deal with unarmed threats
To address this more, cops are not suppose to get in some MMA style match with a suspect, cops are suppose to apprehend suspects. This is why there is the ladder of force, and the cop responds to this force appropriately. If you notice, cops do not go around and throw punches and have boxing matches with suspects they are trying to get, they use submission techniques to get the suspect.

A cop should never engage in an actual physical fight with a suspect, the cop should escalate the ladder of force if this is what the apprehension comes to. A cop never knows the skill level of the person they are apprehending, and dumb luck can play a role as well.

It takes only one hit to kill a person, one hit, that is all, that is a very low bar to meet when engaging a suspect. If the one hit does not kill, all it takes is some luck on the suspect's part, or skill, and the suspect can have the cop in a vulnerable position in which the cop loses his weapon.

These incidents happen very fast, they are not the ten minute long engagements you see in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events