Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 08:13 AM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Zimmerman disagree. Wilson more or less agree.

Zimmerman/Martin was a case of a loose cannon dbag cop-wannabe killing a young larva-stage thug. Zimmerman p1ssed me off no end because he was a poster child for the kind of crap-starting fool that gives concealed carry a bad name. The loss of Trayvon Martin from this world though? ... yawn. One less societal parasite. whatever.

Wilson? Relieved that critical thinking processes were actually applied by the grand jury and that rationality and evidence guided them to their conclusion. Even more props to them for doing it in the face of a wildly emotional mob mentality sweeping a community bent on getting even for past grievances. Details of the Wilson case be damned.

Trayvonn was minding his own business and didn't deserve what happened to him. Very different from Mike Brown who had just robbed a store and then refused to follow the policeman's directions.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
yeah!

I partially agree with you on the Zimmerman thing, while it was self defense, seems like Trayvon was the last straw. What he did was jump to conclusions based on the next black guy he saw that looked like trouble, was the straw that broke the camel's back. Trayvon looked like trouble, he knew there were other crime happening in the neighborhood, he was doing some kind of patrol for the neighborhood and when he saw Trayvon, he said yep theres another one. I think that added to the reason Trayvon is dead.

I've jumped to conclusions myself in other things because of this. i recognize the pattern. its easy to do. especially if you have had it up to here with crime. If i got robbed by black guys enough times, the next guy that comes by me who looks like the robber, im gonna assume that this guy also is gonna rob me. My street sense will go up and if the guy walks by me, not doing anything, i would be shocked. and relieved.

same like this - if you see enough real criminals on tv, and they are all wearing hoodies and turned around baseball caps, you will imprint in your head that all black guys even nice ones are criminals if they wear the hoodie and baseball cap that way.

Zimmerman wasn't robbed by a bunch of blacks that then made him fearful of Trayvonn when he saw him. He profiled Trayvonn and had no basis in doing so. The bottom line is the majority of victims to crimes are victims of people of their own race. There are ignorant people on both sides. Those blacks that think that if a white cop kills a black they must be racist...ignorant. Those whites that think that every black person wants to rob or kill them....ignorant. Both races need to be worried about their own people. And this hoodie thing is the most ignorant thing of all as hoodies are worn by people of all races myself included. The sagging pants is different and most people who sag their pants with their drawers showing deserve to be profiled.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
And your point is?

If you're bringing up that old law vs. what the Supreme Court ruled, you can see the exception they made for shooting at fleeing suspects in my post #56.

If you're talking about Brown not being hit in the back, which the autopsies proved did not happen, I had just posted an eyewitness account from Johnson himself, who was 'right there in the middle of it', stating that Brown was shot in the back - proving that eyewitness accounts should always be taken with a grain of salt, and, that science trumps eyewitness 'stories'.
There was one shot , in the arm, that the autopsies were inconclusive on. That particular wound could have come from the front or the back. I wasn't there, so of course I don't know, but if Wilson winged him when he was fleeing, he might have turned around to surrender at that point.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Trayvonn was minding his own business and didn't deserve what happened to him. Very different from Mike Brown who had just robbed a store and then refused to follow the policeman's directions.
Maybe so at that time, but like i said, Zimmeran saw him and jumped to conclusion that he was going to do something, and he was patroling the area, so he jumped to action. and thats what happened. True, we will never find out what would have happened if he let him go. so Zimmerman chose to act on his jumping to conclusions as the last straw. if Trayvon were white, he would be alive.

I guess we can also thank all the previous robbers and criminals who caused this scenario to happen, and Travon was the unlucky last straw that broke the camels back. if the previous criminals had not done what they did, Travon would have been alive. so i blame them. remember there were a string of criminal activity in that neighborhood. you can blame them for setting up the perfect storm.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:27 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
For anyone who looked at the evidence it is pretty clear the grand jury made the proper decision. I expected an indictment because of all the political pressure. Hats off to the Jurors for having the guts to do the right thing.
This^^^

It isn't much of a surprise to rational educated people.

If you look at the evidence, it is clear officer Wilson defended himself. Had he not, Brown would have possibly gotten Wilson's gun and we would have had a dead police officer. The fact that he was attacked and an attempt was made by the suspect to take his gun is cause for lethal force. If an officer can't defend himself when attacked, who can?

Old 11-29-2014, 08:30 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Maybe so at that time, but like i said, Zimmeran saw him and jumped to conclusion that he was going to do something, and he was patroling the area, so he jumped to action. and thats what happened. True, we will never find out what would have happened if he let him go. so Zimmerman chose to act on his jumping to conclusions as the last straw. if Trayvon were white, he would be alive.

I guess we can also thank all the previous robbers and criminals who caused this scenario to happen, and Travon was the unlucky last straw that broke the camels back. if the previous criminals had not done what they did, Travon would have been alive. so i blame them. remember there were a string of criminal activity in that neighborhood. you can blame them for setting up the perfect storm.
So you are justifying Zimmerman's reactions based on past actions of other people based on the color of their skin. So if I go to pick up my child from school and see a white boy walking around, then it would be okay for me to act as Zimmerman did since most white boys are responsible for mass shootings in schools. Makes a lot of sense.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:53 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith2187 View Post
I never understood why Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are brought up as often as they are, it's only in the minds of the people here on citydata... This assumption that we are all victims looking to Sharpton or Jackson to be our saviors and those two alone are the speakers for the black community and so what they say goes. Meanwhile those of us that are black and have far different experiences are like what???

Like I said, it's almost always ignorance, so I excuse it as that. But I also wonder why they want to lump us altogether so often, does it make it easier to try to understand us that way? By making us into this foreign large community where everyone is alike, as opposed to acknowledging that just like everyone else in the US we are all individuals and the black folks they see depicted in the media are not a representation for every black person in this country? I don't get it. But I guess I don't have to.
Speaking for myself, and my friends at work, it's just tiresome when Sharpton and Jackson wind up in the media railing about "the latest injustice". It always seems that they are there to promote themselves as saviors for the black race - no matter what the facts in the particular case are. They do more to keep themselves in the limelight, and I truly believe that they do more to hurt race relations than anything else. And since you don't hear or see any disagreement from the black community regarding Sharpton and Jackson, one tends to assume that the general feeling is one of agreement. I would LOVE to see the media show a black non-solidarity with them, and if it existed, then it sure would seem like we would see it. I try to never lump any race together, but in this issue specifically (backing Sharpton and Jackson), it does seem that it is all for one and one for all.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:14 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Speaking for myself, and my friends at work, it's just tiresome when Sharpton and Jackson wind up in the media railing about "the latest injustice". It always seems that they are there to promote themselves as saviors for the black race - no matter what the facts in the particular case are. They do more to keep themselves in the limelight, and I truly believe that they do more to hurt race relations than anything else. And since you don't hear or see any disagreement from the black community regarding Sharpton and Jackson, one tends to assume that the general feeling is one of agreement. I would LOVE to see the media show a black non-solidarity with them, and if it existed, then it sure would seem like we would see it. I try to never lump any race together, but in this issue specifically (backing Sharpton and Jackson), it does seem that it is all for one and one for all.
Then I guess all white people agree with Rush Limbaugh according to your premise.

When will the white community speak out against his hateful speech?

Old 11-29-2014, 09:23 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Then I guess all white people agree with Rush Limbaugh according to your premise.

When will the white community speak out against his hateful speech?
Nope. Rush is lambasted DAILY, in the media and elsewhere, by whites and everyone else. ALL THE TIME. He's an ass.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:25 AM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

Just because someone doesn't speak out against something doesn't mean they are for it. Most people only speak when something impacts them negatively. Where are all the whites speaking out against the KKK or the American Nazi Party...I could go on. The reason why you may not see a lot of people speaking against Sharpton and Jackson is because they mainly only speak about negative things happening to blacks and most of the time when someone comments on a subject, it is a negative view. People are just like the news...they are only most likely to comment when something upsets them vs when something makes them happy. There are a lot blacks, myself included, who don't agree with Sharpton, Jackson and most people I know actually think Brown was more responsible for his death than Wilson, but for the most part you won't see many of us posting because we could care less about the whole brown situation. With the protests and the media attention you would think that more people cared about what happened to Mike Brown than Trayvonn, but from most people I know, we view both cases and victims differently. Trayvonn was a victim of an overzealous wanna be cop who racially profiled him. Mike Brown was a victim of his own idiotic and criminal actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events