Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:56 PM

91 posts, read 103,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
They were snorting tobacco. It wasn't about sneezing.

Nasal Snuff: Nothing to Sneeze At
That was the predecessor of snorting coke, with similar effects.......mainlining nicotine, so to speak...
later we found out the cocoa plant worked just as well, and there came the BeeGees and Joe Walsh..

Evidentally teens do this now, for kicks......times may change, but teens always seem to find new ways to destroy their relatively newly formed brains, each generation..how touching..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 06:43 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Pffft! They don't scare smokers. You look at them once or twice, and then you don't look at them again. The photos don't work to deter anyone from smoking.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
The problem with "Well, everyone has to die eventually" type logic, is that cancer doesn't only affect people after a certain age. It's a selfish decision.

I had an uncle who died at 59 after a lifetime of smoking. No one talks fondly about him "dying on his own terms" or any such nonsense. He underwent painful treatments to try and fight off the cancer, and looked and sounded horrible before he passed away. He died before his only grandson even finished grade school, and left his wife a widow. Not exactly a noble or selfless way to go.
He could have just as easily been in a severe car accident and died. There'd be no warning then and no chance to spend time together. He could have fallen down a flight of stairs and broken his neck and died. He could have had a heart attack or stroke as well. He could have had another form of cancer that had nothing to do with smoking. Things happen. No on has ever lived forever. We all come with an expiration date.

In my old house, guy across the street dropped dead of a heart attack. Home by himself. He called his wife who was a nurse when he didn't feel well. She got a neighbor to go over and help him as she was a nurse too. He was 39 years old. Just married. Literally just built a house. We all come with an expiration date.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:26 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo3210 View Post
Evidentally teens do this now, for kicks......times may change, but teens always seem to find new ways to destroy their relatively newly formed brains, each generation..how touching..
That photo is really attractive. Looks like a great way for girls to pick up guys.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:59 PM

77 posts, read 117,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
as far as quitting goes, a smoker will quit when they want to quit. Not a minute before. Ad campaigns that offend even non-smokers won't help. They do little more than **** people off and make then resentful. We change the channel, and in some cases just quit watching the channel where the ads air. I know i'm not the on;y one who has stopped watching a channel where those ads come on at every commercial break. If there is a true desire to help people quit smoking, offer words of encouragement, not gloom and doom messages. There's not a smoker out there that is unaware of the dangers of smoking. We don't need a reminder. To quit, we need a helping hand, a friend. Smokers already have enough enemies.
truth.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:20 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
He could have just as easily been in a severe car accident and died. There'd be no warning then and no chance to spend time together. He could have fallen down a flight of stairs and broken his neck and died. He could have had a heart attack or stroke as well. He could have had another form of cancer that had nothing to do with smoking. Things happen. No on has ever lived forever. We all come with an expiration date.
Yeah, but none of those things happened to him, as they would have been accidents. He chose to be life long smoker. He chose to never try to kick his habit. Big difference.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:18 PM

91 posts, read 103,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That photo is really attractive. Looks like a great way for girls to pick up guys.
yeah, I missed this trend...evidentally this is a cool thing now for teens to do in the USA(Snort chew)...

And to think that in our day they just sniffed the toxins from spray cans on a rag.....

Old 12-10-2014, 12:04 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
This is no more than a deterrent than if you show someone a photo of fatal automobile accident victims, trying to deter them from driving a car!

We're all gamblers at heart, always thinking: It won't happen to me!

Doesn't help at all, doing research, and finding many, many have smoked all their lives with very little, if any, repercussions!

Go talk to someone like my Dad, died at age 96, smoked for 50 years, 3-4 packs of Kool's everyday, quit smoking at 66, and had no ill effects from all that smoking right up until he died!

Old 12-10-2014, 12:26 AM

[quote=don1945;37556997]I honestly have a hard time believing, in 2014, with all we know about the effects, that ANYONE still smokes ! If you think about it, smokers are sucking SMOKE into their bodies ? SMOKE !!! How did that wonderful practice ever get started in the first place ?

Don {QUOTE}

When Columbus came to America in 1492, he was shocked to see the Native American Indians putting smoke in their lungs, via a pipe, as up until then, the concept of putting smoke into your lungs was unimaginable in Europe!

So if anyone needs crucifying, it's the Native American Indians and Columbus!

Columbus brought back a boat load of tobacco to Spain, and? Thanks to him, by the end of the 17th century, tobacco usage had spread to every country on this planet!

Then what followed was the government's addiction to the tobacco tax revenue, as Napoleon was able to fund his Napoleonic wars with tobacco tax revenue. Other countries followed suit! And then, you had the government intimating or overtly encouraging tobacco usage. Napoleon actually encouraged the French to smoke, more smokers, more revenue!

And the U.S. was just more subtle about it, encouraging people to smoke!

Way back, where tobacco originated, in Ecuador/Peru, it was found that the Indians down there were actually drinking tobacco, as it can be made into a herbal tea, and yes, let's not forget tobacco is an herb, like marijuana, with medicinal properties.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Those photos don't bother me a bit, I have an Auto Immune Liver Disease that is not curable, smoking is the only vice I have left but no matter what I will die anyway from something.
It may be a car accident, a tree falling on me, the Liver Disease, the smoking or a bus may run over me, the end result is no matter how I treat my body I will die anyway.

Before anyone says it, the Auto Immune Liver Disease was not caused by smoking.
You simply don't know the anti-smoking Nazi's, well-enough, the extent they'll go to attribute smoking to Global warming, a tree falling on you (that tree was absorbing too much 2nd-hand smoke!), your roof caving in on you (all that 2nd-smoke weakened the ceiling), or if your hair turns gray prematurely!

Before anyone says it? Fasten your seatbelt, it will come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events