Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:05 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times

Advertisements

We were travelling on vacation and were just a few miles from home out on a rural highway. We had just bought a brand new car and it died on us.

The local sheriff deputy stopped and I told him my companion was 80 years old and it was too hot (105 degrees F.) and too far for him to walk home. The deputy gave us a ride home.

Our local sheriff has surrounded himself with deputy's that are very professional. I think the treatment we receive starts with how we, as law abiding citizens, respect the laws of the land and respect LEO.

Reps to the OP for starting this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 08:13 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,822,973 times
I posted a thread in the psychology forum a few days ago about police officers are not all bad and my husband was one..retired two months and wives speak up here and tell your story...didn't get much response.. and the very first comment under me was horrible....people LOVE to jump on the band wagon..especially when they have no clue...thanks for starting this..makes me feel much better..

Old 12-06-2014, 11:26 AM

29 posts, read 20,823 times
I think most of the people in that "police brutality" thread aren't talking about all cops in general but just the ones in question that caused the killings of those unarmed men.

I've never had a problem with any cop but do have a problem with the ones with trigger happy fingers where obviously a stun gun or less dangerous tactic could've been used instead.

All I can say is I usually get traffic warnings when I could've got a ticket instead.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,362,586 times
Other than the rare speeding ticket, I've only had one serious scrape with the law... a DUI 43 years ago when I was young and stupid. The police that I've had encounters with were always professional, and treated me with respect, but I made sure I never gave them a reason to get nasty with me.
The number of good, decent hard working LEO's far, far outweigh the number of bad apples that shouldn't be wearing the uniform & carrying a weapon. The numerous posters in other threads here on C-D keep making the same old mistake of trying to paint all law enforcement officers with the same bad brush. You can't make broad generalizations like that about anyone or anything in life. It just doesn't work that way. Those who jump on every incident as an excuse to condemn law enforcement in general, have no credibility IMO.
I shudder to think what our society would be like if it weren't for the men & women who are willing to risk everything and do a thankless job. It seems rather hypocritical for someone to condemn law enforcement in general, when they are the very ones responsible for keeping one safe enough to do so.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:37 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just noticed a thread titled " Police Brutality" and it had over 900 responders.
I thought how everyone is being so critical of Police with all the negative press the boys in blue have been receiving lately that why not start a positive thread with good stories.

I'm thankful for the men and women of the Police force for stepping up to do a very difficult job, one that I wouldn't want.
I thank the policeman who gave my wife and I a ride to our door after our JeeP broke down and needed a tow.
I thank the policeman who helped my Mom out when she was involved in a car crash.

My experience with the Police have been mostly positive and I believe that to be because I don't break the law or give them any reason to come down on me.

I'm sure there are over 900 people on City Data that have good stories about how Police have helped them or their families out. Lets hear something positive for a change.

Great thread!!!!

I think that police officers in this country are getting a bad rap and not enough people are standing up for them. I do not doubt the their are mistakes made by police officers, but if people are not violently resisting arrest and fighting with them, things would be a lot safer for everyone.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:49 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,538,981 times
Years ago, I got a speeding ticket (which I did deserve). I was fumbling in my glove box for the current proof of insurance. The glove box was stacked with 20 other months, but not the month in question. I was so embarassed. I still got the ticket but he let the insurance slide (I really did have insurance btw)

A few years later, I was dating a police officer, and the officer that wrote me that ticket was a friend of his. I remember him saying "yeah I remember you digging through that box" LOL

Anyway, when Hurricane Ike hit, we didn't have a generator. That officer came over to our house and lent us his extra generator. I used it the most, as the PO I was dating was busy with his fellow officers keeping law and order around the city.

I still work around plenty of law enforcement (although I don't date that guy anymore). The ones I know are regular hard-working men and women, and really do care about how good of a job they do serving the public. Now I did know one that was hotheaded. She actually ended up getting fired because she shoved this guy that was handcuffed pretty hard. He stumbled and tripped over his feet and almost went flying. She wrenched him back upright and continued toward the police car. A news copter captured the video and it was all over the city. So there are police officers that are not perfect. But out of the 100+ I know, she was the only one that was aggressive like that.

Thanks to all the law enforcement officers that work 24/7/365 keeping us as safe as they can. It IS appreciated by many, even if all you see on the tv are the negative stories.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I have had cops let me off with a warning when I was polite, explained, and asked for a warning and got 2 in my life.

When I was partying as a teen I had a cop tell me to walk home and show the empty case instead of arresting me for DUI.

Most cops are decent people, that absorb a lot of BS and become jaded.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times
We live near some townhouse developments that have serious issues with overcrowding. Our local elected politicians refuse to do anything about overcrowding, so those of us in our community have had to put up with overflow parking. Five times I've happened to look out the window and saw a car partially blocking our driveway. I would call the local police and someone would come out in a timely fashion and ticket the offender. Well...one night a large SUV was blocking half our driveway. An officer came out, saw how bad it was and actually rang our doorbell to ask if we knew who it belonged to. We didn't know. He asked if any of the neighbors were having a party---not to our knowledge. It was late but one neighbor was up. The officer went to that house to ask if they knew whose vehicle it was but they didn't know. He wrote a ticket, then did something that surprised us. He told us that this was really unacceptable and arranged for a tow truck to come. He waited for the truck to arrive and stayed until the vehicle was removed.

We were really relieved as we are empty nesters with no immediate family around. Should one of us been taken ill and needed to go to after hours care, getting out of the house wouldn't have been easy.

The next day we went online and found out how to commend an officer for a job well done, and told our story. It took a while but his commanding officer called to thank us for letting the department know and said that our letter would go in the officer's file.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:14 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times
Major props to you Cape Cod Todd!!!

* I've had a flat tire that a cop changed for me. In a freezing noreaster.
* A Wheatridge, CO cop tracked down a stolen bicycle that belonged to a ten year old boy who was getting bullied by the two kids that stole the bike. By the time the officer found the bike, it was in rough shape. He fixed the bike to almost new condition & returned it to a very grateful little boy.
* A struggling mother desperate to feed her kids steals food in a grocery store & gets caught. Yes, she was punished for it. But after she got out of jail, the situation her children faced remained unchanged. The arresting officer & his partner filled a grocery cart to overflowing & delivered the contents to this mother & her kids - these cops did this on their own time & their own dime.
* A cop on routine patrol in a rough neighborhood stops his squad car when he sees a kid tossing a football up in the air, catching it as it comes back down. The cop takes a few minutes to throw the football back & forth with this kid...and makes a friend in the process.

Yeah, there's more. A lot more. It's past time these good cops got some well deserved kudos.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:08 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,984,345 times
A resident and three dogs were saved from a burning home when members of the Jackson, New Jersey Police Department and Jackson Township Fire Station 55 (Jackson Township Volunteer Fire Company No. 1) braved fire and smoke to save their lives.

Police, firefighters save man, dogs from burning residence | tri.gmnews.com | Tri-Town News

In a second incident by the same agency, police eventually took a suspect in custody for agg assault after negotiating with the man. At one point he ran at the officers with steak knives in hand refusing to drop them and shouting for cops to shoot him, he also broke the window of a police car before running back into the residence. This could have easily turned out differently if not for the professionalism of the officers.

Resident taken into custody after standoff in Jackson | tri.gmnews.com | Tri-Town News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events