Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,524,562 times

Advertisements

I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 12:25 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,651,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. Is something else going on or is it insanity like people buying pet rocks?

There's a South Park episode called "Gluten Free Ebola." I haven't seen it, but it indicates the latest fads or insecurities.
Like "Dead Kennedys" sang in "Trust Your Mechanic" - "TV invents a disease you think you have...".

Old 12-10-2014, 12:54 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,699,244 times
I notice they have a big section at the grocery store also. The uninformed probably think its health food or the newest weight loss breakthrough.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:47 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

It's true that it's only DANGEROUS to those with celiac. But there are many more people with non-celiac gluten intolerance for whom gluten doesn't cause permanent damage to their intestines (as celiac does), but it does cause very unpleasant reactions.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:53 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
It's true that it's only DANGEROUS to those with celiac. But there are many more people with non-celiac gluten intolerance for whom gluten doesn't cause permanent damage to their intestines (as celiac does), but it does cause very unpleasant reactions.
Pretty much this.

I have a friend who has only mild food allergies, but ALSO has "intolerances" for different types of food. Corn, gluten and lactose all mess with her digestive tract in a major way. You can say it's psychosomatic, but personally, I can attest to the fact that she farts a lot less these days. I don't think she really cares about if her pills are gluten-free, but she probably would favor a gluten-free brand over one that wasn't.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
You can say it's psychosomatic, but personally, I can attest to the fact that she farts a lot less these days.
Yeah, I've had people try to tell me that my gluten intolerance is "all in my head." But on more than one occasion, I've found myself suffering very bad stomach cramps (and more, but I won't give TMI). When this happens, I go back over everything I've eaten in recent hours, and I usually discover that it's because I've gotten lazy about reading labels and ate something that had gluten when I assumed it didn't.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:21 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
I have a wheat allergy and the diet I have to observe is the same one that celiacs have to observe. I can have small amounts of wheat, but the more I eat, the sicker I get. Drinking a beer will send me to bed and send my asthma off the charts.

I can't remember what I was looking at the other day, but it's label read, "Gluten Free!" And it was on something that you would never associate with gluten, like a bottle of 7-Up.

I agree, it is getting slightly worse than stupid.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:25 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have a wheat allergy and the diet I have to observe is the same one that celiacs have to observe. I can have small amounts of wheat, but the more I eat, the sicker I get. Drinking a beer will send me to bed and send my asthma off the charts.

I can't remember what I was looking at the other day, but it's label read, "Gluten Free!" And it was on something that you would never associate with gluten, like a bottle of 7-Up.

That happens with every new nutritional/scientific announcement, though. Like when it was decided that fatty foods were the culprit in arteriosclerosis. Everything that could possibly be fat-free or low-fat was labeled as such, even if it had never had anything to do with fat. Cold cereal, oatmeal, boxes of raisins, whatever. Marketing is getting way out of hand. Downright nonsensical.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post

Agreed. I saw a gluten free label on container of eggs. Really?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Don't worry, gluten free water is next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events