Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 PM

620 posts, read 638,651 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people are so hell bent on convincing the world that gluten intolerance is fake? What difference is it to you?

Frankly, I don't care about studies or articles. I only care about how I feel. And since I went GF more than two years ago, I don't have the same constant GI upset that I used to. I don't wake up in the middle of the night with severe stomach cramps anymore. Well, except for one time ...

I have a group of friends that occasionally get together at someone's home for dinner. They're all aware that I'm GF, and I don't ask them to go to any great lengths. If dinner includes spaghetti, I bring a container of my own pasta. If they want to serve fried chicken, that's certainly okay. I bring a salad. To me, it's the fellowship that's important, not the food. A few times, the hosts have made a point to provide a GF meal so we all can enjoy. I certainly don't expect it, but it is appreciated.

One of our friends had such a gathering. She made meatloaf, saying that she purchased GF bread crumbs and used corn starch for the gravy. I thanked her profusely for the extra effort. It was a lovely meal. I loved every bit of it.

Unfortunately, I wound up spending most of the night in and out of the bathroom. I felt miserable. I felt like I had been "glutened," but I was certain that couldn't be the case because my friend said she went to such lengths to make sure we had a GF meal. The next morning at work, I quietly asked a mutual friend who had also been at the dinner if she had felt okay the previous night. She got a funny look on her face and said "I'm not sure if I should tell you this or not, but she told me that she used regular breadcrumbs in the meatloaf because she wanted to prove a point, that the gluten intolerance is all in your head."

Needless to say, I will never again put myself in the position of trusting that particular "friend," and made it very clear to her. Unfortunately, she's also made it difficult to trust most anyone other than very close family and friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events