Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdangerousxdavex View Post
Gluten paranoia... Just as aspartame or sacharine paranoia about 10 years ago...
You wouldn't say that if you'd had to start wearing depends in order to get through the day, with no idea why your digestion is suddenly not what it used to be.

I lived with it for nearly two years, chalking it up to age-related deterioration, before going on an anti-inflammatory elimination diet, because I was worried about the hypertension, heart attacks and strokes that my family is prone to.

Presto, no more depends or chronic gut pain.

Be careful what you're smug about.

I also have issues with a few other things, but gluten is by far the worst. I found that a low-FODMAPS diet really does help, and yes, there's an app for that! More than one actually, I like the one from the U of Melbourne, it's the most complete and as the developers of the diet, they keep the app updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM

465 posts, read 613,514 times
There was a time I thought unless you have celiac not a big deal. Then I had my thyroid removed and my life changed. I am now allergic to 4 chemicals. When I eat products with gluten I feel AWFUL. My stomach hurts and I get very bloated. I also get very sleepy and have a lack of energy. As we get older our digestive system ages and is less tolerable of certain foods. I feel the best when I stay away from anything with corn and wheat.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:05 AM

922 posts, read 805,963 times
The whole weight loss industry is one giant scam, the best way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. THAT IS IT! It is amazing the amount of bs people are willing to buy.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:08 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
The whole weight loss industry is one giant scam, the best way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more. THAT IS IT! It is amazing the amount of bs people are willing to buy.

Maybe it has escaped you but this thread isn't about weight loss, even though it's a possible side benefit.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I notice they have a big section at the grocery store also. The uninformed probably think its health food or the newest weight loss breakthrough.
Exactly! Because there is a certain portion of the public who can be easily convinced to buy anything ... or to get caught up in the "craze of the day" ... or to sell their votes to a cheap manipulative politician promising far too much, for far to little.

Most of these individuals are "trendy-technophobic"; they have access to a great deal of information, but often retain only what suits their prejudices. And they can occasionally master a two-syllable word like "gluten" (or even a three-sylable word like "organic") ... and once the people who do their thinking for them decide whether that word is "good"or "bad", their little minds are made up for them.

And we wonder why democracy is in danger ......

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 04-17-2015 at 08:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
I won't argue that some people will jump on any new bandwagon but believe me, if going without anything containing gluten doesn't have a real noticeable beneficial effect on you, you won't do it for long.
Go buy an expensive loaf of gluten free bread and see how you like it

Reconcile yourself to the fact that a nice fluffy hard roll stuffed with your favorite sandwich filler is no longer possible or toast with which to mop up your egg or a warm hunk of Italian bread with your salad and to swipe at the rest of the spaghetti sauce
Crissake....now I'm having withdrawal pangs.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:38 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I have a wheat allergy and the diet I have to observe is the same one that celiacs have to observe. I can have small amounts of wheat, but the more I eat, the sicker I get. Drinking a beer will send me to bed and send my asthma off the charts.

I can't remember what I was looking at the other day, but it's label read, "Gluten Free!" And it was on something that you would never associate with gluten, like a bottle of 7-Up.

I agree, it is getting slightly worse than stupid.
No offense intended about your allergies, but this is sort of funny if you've ever gone to a restaurant with somebody who brags on her/his "gluten free" diet, questions the waitstaff about which entrees are "gluten free" and then orders a beer to go with his/her meal. Been there.

On the silly "gluten free" products front, I think I've seen a dog food labeled as "gluten free".

Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
If you are pretty sure that something you are eating negatively effects you....best to avoid. Sometimes people jump on a hysteria-bandwagon and really have no need to do so. But I am sure there are some people benefitting from all the focus put on gluten-related problems.

Man, eating sure is complicated. Me, I do not tolerate whole-grains or dairy very well........and I love both.

And as a topper, I have had calcium-oxalate in my urine for my last 2 or 3 urinalysis. I love nuts and WAS eating a lot of them......I suspect these are part of the reason for the abnormal urinalysis. I noticed when eating nuts on a regular basis, the frequency of my urination would go WAY up and my urinary-tract would feel constantly irritated, my skin was tender and actually started cracking. Oxalic-acid in the body binds with quiet a important few minerals......robbing your body of said minerals and forming worthless and harmful mineral-oxalates.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:57 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Anti-gluten nonsense is, at least, generally harmless - it only impacts the wallets of the gullible.

But who am I to talk? Here I am on a Sunday morning, happily enjoying my 'gluten-free' cup of coffee!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...e23_story.html

PS - Double-blind studies trump your silly "But... I ate some bread and then I didn't feel good!" self-diagnosis. You did lots of things the day you didn't feel good. You watched Project Runway or talked on your cell phone or took a shower. Those things didn't upset your tummy - and neither did gluten.

Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I just saw a small bottle of non-Rx Ibuprofen and it said "Gluten free" on it. I thought gluten was only dangerous to people with celiac disease, which is like 1% of people. .......
Is what you are trying to say is that is isn't right to inform the 1% of the population who have a serious reaction to gluten that is it OK for them to take those pills?

Gluten is a very common ingredient in medications. People with Celiac disease have to look every pill up online before they can take it. But you are offended that a company would inform the Celiacs that their medication is OK and save them the trouble of looking it up online?

What percentage of the population is allergic to peanuts? Is it OK with you for packages to have "contains peanuts" on the label, to protect those who might be killed if they eat the product? If the population of peanut allergies is small, should we just let them take their chances?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events